Loose Ground? Problem!!

so i recently had my burnt alt overhauled at a trusted tractor repair shop in my town. and after i installed it my lights dim just as much as they did before i had it overhauled. it makes no sense.

heres my dilema. when i first start my car it seemed fine. when i turned onto my highway i played " strange clouds" and when the higher bass notes hit my radio would just shut off..and reset and turn on. it does this until i turn it down a few levels like from 36 to 28. at around 28 it would quit doing that. but when lower notes would play like on "no hands" it wouldnt cut out at all. even on level 36

but after like 15 minutes of driving on the highway my radio wouldnt cut out at all. not on "strange clouds" or any other bass song with higher notes. i tested the voltage on my front battery with my car running and it was at 15.3 with no music playing. tested my back battery and it was at the same voltage..if not a little higher, again with no music playing.

when i installed my alt after i got it fixed i actually pulled 2 ring terminals off my grounds at the battery for my big 3 on accident. so i had to take the big 3 grounds completely off and re crimp them. i think it has to do with it being so damn cold here in south dakota in winter. they just pulled right out. did i not hook them back up right again? my radio never did this before i took my alt off. are my grounds loose somewhere else? on the other ends of my grounds maybe?

im just completely puzzled..if anyone could help it would be GREATLY appreciated! thanks a bunch for reading this dudes...

06 v6 Mustangbig 3Mechman 270 Hybrid G2 interstate batteriesBC3500 wired at 12 Sundown x-10 D4's

Check your battery voltage with the car off because you when check it with the car running its actually testing your alt because your alt keeps it running not your batteries. Also your headunit shuts off because your alt wasn't charging your batteries on the highway. When your vehicle is running the alt it charges your batts but after 2k rpm is doesn't. Thats why when you were driving on the highway it kept cutting out, because your rpms are higher than 2k. Play your music with your vehicle stopped and and gas it up but not above 2k and you might see a difference. If so then all you need to do is charge your batts.

Ummm alt should always be charging. Just that output maintains after 2000 rpm. It doesn't increase.

As far as OP's issue, check your battery when car is off with nothing on. 12.0 or lower try charging it up and see what your issue is like

Team NWSPL

baaudio Build Log

2001 GMC Sierra walkthrough

4 Mechman Elite 370s, 10 AGM batteries, 3 Crossfire XS v2 18s, Crossfire 8k

Check your battery voltage with the car off because you when check it with the car running its actually testing your alt because your alt keeps it running not your batteries. Also your headunit shuts off because your alt wasn't charging your batteries on the highway. When your vehicle is running the alt it charges your batts but after 2k rpm is doesn't. Thats why when you were driving on the highway it kept cutting out, because your rpms are higher than 2k. Play your music with your vehicle stopped and and gas it up but not above 2k and you might see a difference. If so then all you need to do is charge your batts.

that's retarded... really....

yes, thats all i have to say at 1am.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

OP: Sorry I didnt see you asked for help in another members thread.

I had this happen with a failed alt on my old car. It moaned really bad when it was first installed but I didnt think anything of it then when I drove to class one day it out of nowhere got extremely loud and I could hear it over my system at full tilt and then when I revved the engine speeds anywhere above 1500 rpm's my lights would drop down and the battery light would kick on. My alt was so damn hot I could cook on it and it worked just fine if I kept the engine speed below 1500 rpm's. For your battery voltage you measured that is kinda on the high side. Normally a 12v battery system charges at 14.4v give or take .2-.4v. Was the vehicle cold at the time of that measurement? Usually cold batteries and alternators put out some more voltage as the alternator has less strain on it from being overheated/hot. I charge at 15.6-15.8 when my engine is really cold (40 or lower) and goes as low as 14.6 when it is hot (engine running for a long time or 60+ degrees outside).

I am reluctant to tell you this but try playing those songs at idle but monitor your voltage. Since you are at idle your alt will not be outputting a ton of power but see if the headunit cuts out. If its only at certain frequencies I think something came loose whether it be a wire on the harness or internally on the headunit. If that is the case you can try to take the headunit out, play the song that you experience the problem with but hold the headunit while it plays. If while holding it steady the radio cuts out then you are having a problem with the electrical itself, if not then your radio is the problem and i'd say to just can it and get another one. Now to check if it stops after holding the radio while playing the song and having the engine revved up at park try to connect just the radios power and ground wires to another battery NOT on your cars system. For example use a battery charger or another battery laying around to power just the headunit and see what it does. Its hard to see because with voltage drop it happens so fast sometimes that you barely notice it on cheaper dmm's and scopes since they don't refresh that fast. Let me know what you find.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

so i recently had my burnt alt overhauled at a trusted tractor repair shop in my town. and after i installed it my lights dim just as much as they did before i had it overhauled. it makes no sense.

heres my dilema. when i first start my car it seemed fine. when i turned onto my highway i played " strange clouds" and when the higher bass notes hit my radio would just shut off..and reset and turn on. it does this until i turn it down a few levels like from 36 to 28. at around 28 it would quit doing that. but when lower notes would play like on "no hands" it wouldnt cut out at all. even on level 36

but after like 15 minutes of driving on the highway my radio wouldnt cut out at all. not on "strange clouds" or any other bass song with higher notes. i tested the voltage on my front battery with my car running and it was at 15.3 with no music playing. tested my back battery and it was at the same voltage..if not a little higher, again with no music playing.

when i installed my alt after i got it fixed i actually pulled 2 ring terminals off my grounds at the battery for my big 3 on accident. so i had to take the big 3 grounds completely off and re crimp them. i think it has to do with it being so damn cold here in south dakota in winter. they just pulled right out. did i not hook them back up right again? my radio never did this before i took my alt off. are my grounds loose somewhere else? on the other ends of my grounds maybe?

im just completely puzzled..if anyone could help it would be GREATLY appreciated! thanks a bunch for reading this dudes...

What terminals are you using and how are you "crimping?"

Archived