Sundown Audio

bad amp?

voxigenboy

I have an old rockford punch(forget the exact model #) that's been powering a pair of kicker cvr's I bought less then a year ago. The amp though is from around 2005 - 2006 & was told that I'm lucky it still works. Anyway, a few months ago the subs stopped working. I checked wiring & found a couple of blown fuses. Replaced them fuses and then everything was working normally again.

A few days ago the subs stopped working again. This time the fuses look fine & I don't see any sort of 'protect mode' indicator on the amp. The only thing on it that lights up is the actual rockford fosgate logo & when I power up the car it lights up as normal(no flashing, just stays on). I do not have any test equipment so not much diagnosis I can do on my own. Can my amp still have gone bad?

The other amp/speakers in the car are still working fine... just the subs/sub amp that aren't doing anything.

You shouldn't be surprised that a Rockford amp is still working. If taken care of, they'll chug along for years and sound good song it. Are these the series of amps that had the chrome covers top and bottom?

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

I am running a 1999 RF Power bd1000aa1 pushing a 2012 RF T1D212" @ 500 watts in 4 ohms and this amp is loud & clean so dont ever be surprised by RFs quality and durability. Have you checked your ground to the amp? Or your LED turn on? Could be something in the power supply since you blew fuses not to long ago. Good luck!

try to push the cones down a little bit and make sure you go straight listen for grinding/scraping sound this is how you can check the subs make sure you didn't burn a voice coil

skar sk2500.1
0 gauge power and ground kunukonceptz
alpine HU
vxi65 components on BA gt-275
new build log -> http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/150642-project-d-kon-deathcards-build-log/#entry2148821
2 x-15 sundowns

singer alt, odyssey bat, and maxwell ultra caps

ok it's the 'punch 801s'. it looks exactly like this one:

2915966174_dfd4bbc8da.jpg

supposedly the rca's are fine and there is no rear ground for the amp(just the ground up in front). i had been told before though that that is ok... hmm...

"no rear ground for the amp"..... what is that even supposed to mean? not trying at all to be a dick lol..... but the amp should be grounded close to were its mounted on a frame or other strong paintless sanded down metal area......... maybe thats the issue at hand? even though it powers up maybe the bad ground ( if thats what it is) caused too much resistance causing a huge heat issue on the board somewhere until a component couldnt handle it and blew out...... thats worst case scenario i think but still thats what i got outta "no rear ground for the amp"

?????

i think there real i was looking through that guys stuff he sells and it looks like he finds stuff at auctions and just sells it

Yea, it looks like someone got the mids about a month ago....shit. If I had a whole Hertz front stage my ears would jizz all over my cheeks.

/ LOL

My Low Budget Build:

Green 1995 Subaru Legacy wagon 147k- $1K

headunit- pioneer premier deh-p650-$25

4 Lead acid batts. 1 up front and 3 in back- vented outside.- $50

4 vvme L11 10"s <- $30 shipped a piece

6 cu. ft box (after displacment) tuned to 32ish hz with 10 inch sonotube. -about $50 all together maybe a lil more

2 aspm 1300 strapped

Selenium 6"s in the front doors on headunit power- for now -$20

quantum tweets in door-for now -$10

boston acoustic 5 1/4 in rear doors- for now-Free

big 3

1/0 and 4awg throughout.

roof sound deadened (not peel n seal ftw)-free

on 80 amp alt (bench tested to put out 100 amps faithfully) <--?-$10 for test

about $430 for everything<----Not bad at all

still gotta add 3 way crossover, amp for front and rear door speakers and maybe eq

Archived