Sundown Audio

DC 3.5 vs 5.0k or other??

MrClean636

Bought a new car, re-doing the system, need some advice. I want to do a new setup with 4, 10" subs. now I'm not entirely sure the brand of sub yet, I'm still at the drawing board. But I do know I want to stay above 3k rms, but I don't want a huge electrical draw...

Dilemma...

I still have my DC 5.0K from my last setup with two, XLm2 15's. I was thinking I could still use that amp, but keep the gain down, as it should be more efficient than say a 3.5K amp, pushing full output. Right? Or am I just thinking crazy? Can I get just 3.5 ish out of my 5K??

Concerns...

1. 5.0K can draw way more than 3.5K... is efficiency better here??

2. Biggest alternator I have been quoted by anyone, was from Mechman and it was a 270 amp unit.

3. I don't want 2, 73 pound batteries in the trunk like I did in my last car.

I do plan on upgrading my alternator to the 270 amp unit, doing an upgraded starting battery, and two runs of 1/0 knu konecpts wire from the front to back. I just don't want all the battery weight in the back, but still looking to get loud..

Thanks for the help! Hopefully I'm not ranting hahaha!

Car: 2011 Ford Taurus SEL / Alt: DC Power 270XP (Will be here 7/17!!!)

Deck: Pioneer AVIC-Z140BH / Amps: (1) DC 5.0k, (1) RF T400-2

Speaks: RF T2652-S 6.5" and RF T1692 6x9"

Subs: (2) DC XLm2 15's / Batts: (2) XS XP3000's

Wiring: Kolossus Fleks Kable 1/0 (2 runs)

Than do not more than the 3.5 K, maby your 5 K amp run´s on 2 Ohm in this range!

The 5k is rated at 2.3k at 2.

i shook this one kids hand and it just folded in mine. long story short i fucked his girlfriendso.. yeah..

You want this to happen to you? Give decent handshakes people.

I was gifted with an innate ability to distribute wholesale ass beatings in a timely and orderly fashion.

I would just set everything with a DD1 like you normally would..then leaving everything where it is...back the gain off and use a clamp meter to get 3.5k....

My guess is the 5k would be more efficient making 3.5 but thats just a guess.

MY BUILD *****http://tinyurl.com/gmcbuild*****

Vehicles

2005 GMC Canyon

CB1000r - Currently where any future funds are going. (exhasut,bazzaz, ohlins shock, screen, etc.)

crf250r - Used to be race bike..now I just trail ride..practice at the track on it.

CH80 - Daily beater (when nice weather)best 150$ ever spent. 100+mpg

Sold to:

Skullz - pstone11 - Leo1103 - Volvo 63' - pavelpardo - imnew59585

Shower farts still piss me off.

I think theyre pretty neat. When the water runs down your crack as you let one out... its like shitting in a crockpot.

Than do not more than the 3.5 K, maby your 5 K amp run´s on 2 Ohm in this range!

Strange 2.3 on 2 and 5 on 1, would be intresting to see a 2 Ohm clamptest. I would stay with the 5 K do 4 SA 10 or something like this than you are fine and saver with your electrical. You will loose a vew $ if you sell the

5 K and buying than the 3.5 K.

"in the abundance of water, the fool is thirsty" Bob Marley

IMO even with a 270 you are goign to need some batteries in there...

CURRENT SYSTEM:

• Alternator:
    1. Stock alt on mids/highs
    2. Isolated DC Power 270 SP - Charging @ 16.8v
  • Batteries: (2) XS D1400s
  • Power Cable: Double Runs of 1/0 KNU Kolossus Fleks
  • Headunit: 80-PRS
  • Sub Amp: DC 5.0k
  • Subwoofers: 2 RE MT 15s /PSI dual .7ohm recones
  • Subwoofer Enclosure: 9.1cubes @ 32hz - brutal.
  • Mids & Highs Amp: CT125.4
  • Active Components:
    • Mids RE XXX 6.5c
    • Highs - 3 RE XXX tweeters per side(A pillar)
  • Noise Control: Damplifier Pro all over the cab.

Build Log

If you do business with me please leave feedback here: FEEDBACK THREAD

Highest Legal Score: 151.0 db
Highest Musical 30 Second Average: 151.6 db

Just keep the gain down so that your voltage drop isn't too bad. The more batts you get, the higher you can turn it up toward your max clean setting.

06 Police TahoeHU- Pioneer 80prsAmp- Crossfire 8kSub- 4 15" Crossfire xs v2sWire- 1/0 Knu/AudiotechnixAlt- 3 Mechman SMD 340sBatts- 6 XS Power 3100s, 2400

I would just set everything with a DD1 like you normally would..then leaving everything where it is...back the gain off and use a clamp meter to get 3.5k....

My guess is the 5k would be more efficient making 3.5 but thats just a guess.

That's similar to what I was thinking. Just will need to get my hands on a clamp meter once everything starts rolling along! Thanks!

Strange 2.3 on 2 and 5 on 1, would be intresting to see a 2 Ohm clamptest. I would stay with the 5 K do 4 SA 10 or something like this than you are fine and saver with your electrical. You will loose a vew $ if you sell the

5 K and buying than the 3.5 K.

That's actually one of the exact setups I was thinking of! I was looking at the SA 10's as a possible option, or even doing DC again and going with the lvl 2 or 3. Just have to determine that yet... And my thoughts exactly, I'd honestly at most probably make $50-$100 back to get a 3.5k which will limit me if I do eventually want to upgrade again.

IMO even with a 270 you are goign to need some batteries in there...

Yeah I plan on still having a battery. Was thinking maybe a single XP3000, or numerous smaller power cells. Only problem there is voltage drop...

Car: 2011 Ford Taurus SEL / Alt: DC Power 270XP (Will be here 7/17!!!)

Deck: Pioneer AVIC-Z140BH / Amps: (1) DC 5.0k, (1) RF T400-2

Speaks: RF T2652-S 6.5" and RF T1692 6x9"

Subs: (2) DC XLm2 15's / Batts: (2) XS XP3000's

Wiring: Kolossus Fleks Kable 1/0 (2 runs)

Archived