im looking to buy a colorado because i want to trailer my car but also get decent gas mileage.

picture of the car, and add some weight due to the audio stuff

this car will only be on the trailer for a couple hours. no long hauls

IMG_20121115_165322-2.jpg

heres a couple trucks iv been looking at

the one with the 3.5 vortec would be ideal for towing, but could i get away with the 4 cyl?

thanks for any help

SMDSIG799x74.jpg

BHE Wall Build

TEAM DC Audio

TEAM XS POWER
1986 Monte Carlo

KMC Nova's 20"
4 DC XL's W/ PSI Recones
2 DC 5k's
Pioneer PRS 80
10 Audio Technix

6 XS Power D3100's

1 XS Power D3400

Mechman 220a Alternator

3.5 should tow fine, though dont expect fuel economy to be great. Just watch temperatures.. and research for basic issues with the 3.5 such as head gaskets or whatever (just an example, I have no knowledge on the 3.5).

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

yeah you should at least get a 3.5 thats the 5 cylinder... wish i had the v8... but anyways i hauled my 1970 half ton chevy pickup on a car trailer with my colorado. it squatted pretty good so i would consider some heavy duty leaf spring upgrades if you plan on using it for a long time. and i wouldnt haul with it very long you could burn up the tranny. not a for sure thing just a possibility.

Fuel economy and towing can't be used in the same sentence unless it has the wirds turbo deisel too

You could also look into the Nissan frontiers pretty good trucks for the money my sis has ones and its quite a beast,

Personally for towing and efficeny you basically must have a turbo

SCSB

Santa Cruz Speaker Box

Build logs:

Daily Driver Lemon Marquis

2 american bass 750.1s

350.4 on 14 focal 6.5s

sq 945 on 4 hertz tweeters

Mystery subs peepwall.gif

http://www.stevemead...__fromsearch__1

The Mustang 'dubbed' Shirley the project from bullet holes to badass

http://www.stevemead...cond-skin-time/

I did the brakes on mine a few weeks ago.. Its not that bad.. More intense then my brothers silverado. But it wasn't horrible.

I also bled all the lines completely..new drums shoes and rebuilt the whole rear drum system for peace of mind.

Colorado/Canyone brakes like to squeel...idk why..they just do..the whole time I was on stock rotors they did..with 70$ pads or 20$ ones. I go tnew rotors and pads and solved the problem.

I would get a trailer with brakes IMO.

I have a I4 2.8...2005 z85 2wd. If you are getting one used look the the G80 locker in back...that thing is awesome and helped me through some shit in my 2wd.

My truck is noticeably slower and struggles more on steep inclines with two Jetskis in the bed(stand up Kawi's)...the inline 5 would probably be similar with a car.

Also if you get a truck with the G80 i believe it comes with the different gears in your rearend....I know 3.4x was an option on some..I wouldn't get that if you plan on towing.

Stay away from the 3.5...the older model..look for a newer 3.7. The 3.5's had head issues that usually popped up uner 100k..but not always. Be ready for some rattles too.

The exhaust sheild rattle like a sonofabitch on alot of the trucks...it takes a few minutes and maybe a little bending by hand to fix them.

If you do get an older model see if the brake light switch has been done under recall..Some had a faulty one(incuding mine) with persuasion they replaced it for free.

but if it ever does break and they wont cover it..you can order them on gmpartsdirect for 15-20...and its the updated version.

If you have any questions on the truck feel free to PM me...I used to be way into coloradfans and 355nation...but now its just SMD lol. I've also put about 120k on my truck now and have done EVERY repair/service/etc myself.

MY BUILD *****http://tinyurl.com/gmcbuild*****

Vehicles

2005 GMC Canyon

CB1000r - Currently where any future funds are going. (exhasut,bazzaz, ohlins shock, screen, etc.)

crf250r - Used to be race bike..now I just trail ride..practice at the track on it.

CH80 - Daily beater (when nice weather)best 150$ ever spent. 100+mpg

Sold to:

Skullz - pstone11 - Leo1103 - Volvo 63' - pavelpardo - imnew59585

Shower farts still piss me off.

I think theyre pretty neat. When the water runs down your crack as you let one out... its like shitting in a crockpot.

Fuel economy and towing can't be used in the same sentence unless it has the wirds turbo deisel too

You could also look into the Nissan frontiers pretty good trucks for the money my sis has ones and its quite a beast,

Personally for towing and efficeny you basically must have a turbo

i was talking about gas mileage just driving around daily, i didnt specify haha

I did the brakes on mine a few weeks ago.. Its not that bad.. More intense then my brothers silverado. But it wasn't horrible.

I also bled all the lines completely..new drums shoes and rebuilt the whole rear drum system for peace of mind.

Colorado/Canyone brakes like to squeel...idk why..they just do..the whole time I was on stock rotors they did..with 70$ pads or 20$ ones. I go tnew rotors and pads and solved the problem.

I would get a trailer with brakes IMO.

I have a I4 2.8...2005 z85 2wd. If you are getting one used look the the G80 locker in back...that thing is awesome and helped me through some shit in my 2wd.

My truck is noticeably slower and struggles more on steep inclines with two Jetskis in the bed(stand up Kawi's)...the inline 5 would probably be similar with a car.

Also if you get a truck with the G80 i believe it comes with the different gears in your rearend....I know 3.4x was an option on some..I wouldn't get that if you plan on towing.

Stay away from the 3.5...the older model..look for a newer 3.7. The 3.5's had head issues that usually popped up uner 100k..but not always. Be ready for some rattles too.

The exhaust sheild rattle like a sonofabitch on alot of the trucks...it takes a few minutes and maybe a little bending by hand to fix them.

If you do get an older model see if the brake light switch has been done under recall..Some had a faulty one(incuding mine) with persuasion they replaced it for free.

but if it ever does break and they wont cover it..you can order them on gmpartsdirect for 15-20...and its the updated version.

If you have any questions on the truck feel free to PM me...I used to be way into coloradfans and 355nation...but now its just SMD lol. I've also put about 120k on my truck now and have done EVERY repair/service/etc myself.

thanks man, very informative

ill get in contact with you

SMDSIG799x74.jpg

BHE Wall Build

TEAM DC Audio

TEAM XS POWER
1986 Monte Carlo

KMC Nova's 20"
4 DC XL's W/ PSI Recones
2 DC 5k's
Pioneer PRS 80
10 Audio Technix

6 XS Power D3100's

1 XS Power D3400

Mechman 220a Alternator

I didnt read through the responses already given, but in my opinion, (professionally speaking, as my real job deals with towing/hauling cars on a daily basis), get a fullsize truck, 1/2 ton at minimum if you are going to be hauling around your show car. Sure the colorado will tow that other car just fine, but now add in the weight of the trailer, and the extra weight of your big rims and system, and Im gonna bet its over the rated capacity of the Colorado. And just because it might haul it ok, doesnt mean that it will stop it ok, haul it safely, etc etc... you're going to beat the piss out of that little truck every time you load that trailer up and hook it on the back. Guaranteed. The brakes and transmission will hate you, and most likely will offer a shorter than standard service life. Looks like you put a lot of effort into the car you wanna tow around, so why be all half assed about towing it properly? For a bit I had a Dodge Ram 1500, used it to haul my old jeep to the trails, and hauled mine and some friends race cars around a few times..... The Ram 1500 was wayyyy more truck than a Coloardo, and it wasnt all to happy about towing that much around behind it, Id say it was barely adequate. Would be a shame for your show car to get all fuckered up because you didnt want to invest in an adequate tow rig.

1999 Lincoln Town Car-(build underway)

- (2) SA15s, 4th order, DAT 2500.1, O2 mids n highs, 250a alt, HC 2400, Big 3....

1994 Pontiac T/A for speeding tickets.-

- Currently on jack stands, wanting to be a real race car

"Your local forecast, all the ladies in the metro area should expect to see 8 inches tonight" - The Todd

Decaf, on 01 November 2011 - 02:38 PM, said:

i provide the ammo for destruction, the trigger finger is connected to the volume knob tho

URBAN GORILLA AUDIO

I didnt read through the responses already given, but in my opinion, (professionally speaking, as my real job deals with towing/hauling cars on a daily basis), get a fullsize truck, 1/2 ton at minimum if you are going to be hauling around your show car. Sure the colorado will tow that other car just fine, but now add in the weight of the trailer, and the extra weight of your big rims and system, and Im gonna bet its over the rated capacity of the Colorado. And just because it might haul it ok, doesnt mean that it will stop it ok, haul it safely, etc etc... you're going to beat the piss out of that little truck every time you load that trailer up and hook it on the back. Guaranteed. The brakes and transmission will hate you, and most likely will offer a shorter than standard service life. Looks like you put a lot of effort into the car you wanna tow around, so why be all half assed about towing it properly? For a bit I had a Dodge Ram 1500, used it to haul my old jeep to the trails, and hauled mine and some friends race cars around a few times..... The Ram 1500 was wayyyy more truck than a Coloardo, and it wasnt all to happy about towing that much around behind it, Id say it was barely adequate. Would be a shame for your show car to get all fuckered up because you didnt want to invest in an adequate tow rig.

^^^^

This

CURRENT SYSTEM:

• Alternator:
    1. Stock alt on mids/highs
    2. Isolated DC Power 270 SP - Charging @ 16.8v
  • Batteries: (2) XS D1400s
  • Power Cable: Double Runs of 1/0 KNU Kolossus Fleks
  • Headunit: 80-PRS
  • Sub Amp: DC 5.0k
  • Subwoofers: 2 RE MT 15s /PSI dual .7ohm recones
  • Subwoofer Enclosure: 9.1cubes @ 32hz - brutal.
  • Mids & Highs Amp: CT125.4
  • Active Components:
    • Mids RE XXX 6.5c
    • Highs - 3 RE XXX tweeters per side(A pillar)
  • Noise Control: Damplifier Pro all over the cab.

Build Log

If you do business with me please leave feedback here: FEEDBACK THREAD

Highest Legal Score: 151.0 db
Highest Musical 30 Second Average: 151.6 db

While I agree a Ram would be better...I don't really see a problem with trailer brakes andmaybe helper bags for the rear.

The colorado's and Canyone have the 4l60e tranny..same as full sized used Silverado 1500's he would probably look at. Biggest problem would be not alot of power at 220...

If you are worried OP about power..why not find a used 5.3L colorado v8...

MY BUILD *****http://tinyurl.com/gmcbuild*****

Vehicles

2005 GMC Canyon

CB1000r - Currently where any future funds are going. (exhasut,bazzaz, ohlins shock, screen, etc.)

crf250r - Used to be race bike..now I just trail ride..practice at the track on it.

CH80 - Daily beater (when nice weather)best 150$ ever spent. 100+mpg

Sold to:

Skullz - pstone11 - Leo1103 - Volvo 63' - pavelpardo - imnew59585

Shower farts still piss me off.

I think theyre pretty neat. When the water runs down your crack as you let one out... its like shitting in a crockpot.

Archived