smelling my speakers after dd-1

Just because your wired higher doesnt mean the amp doesnt draw the same amount of amperage. For example, a 1000 watt amp pulls 69.4 amps to make 1000 watts at 1 ohm at 14.4v. It will still have to pull that same amperage to produce 250 watts at 4 ohms. This is not taking efficiency into account though.

Just because your wired higher doesnt mean the amp doesnt draw the same amount of amperage. For example, a 1000 watt amp pulls 69.4 amps to make 1000 watts at 1 ohm at 14.4v. It will still have to pull that same amperage to produce 250 watts at 4 ohms. This is not taking efficiency into account though.

then how come you can wire an amp to 1 ohm and drop to 12.0v, but if you wire to 2 ohms and drop to 14.0? efficiency doesnt cause that drastic a change...especially at those ohm loads. less amperage is pulled from the electrical system the higher the final load resistance.

edit: thats how i've understood it for years. and many others have strengthened this statement through their own testing. just wondering why you think differently.

This isn't true...

Watts = Volts X Amps

Volts = Amps / Resistance - Note that the equation with resistance has nothing to do with the output (watts) of the amplifier.

Let's say that you have an amp that produces 2000 watts at 1 ohm, or 500 watts at 4 ohms. We'll say this is at 14 volts.

At 1 ohm, 2000w = 14v X Amps This gives us an amperage of about 143 amps.

At 4 ohms, 500w = 14v X Amps This gives us an amperage of about 36 Amps.

So as you can see, wiring to a higher resistance can drastically reduce the amount of current being pulled from by amp.

2002 Dodge Dakota 4.7 club cab - Sold 2004 Audi S4 Avant

- Fi and Crescendo - Stock Bose System

- http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147725-2002-dodge-dakota-end-of-the-road/?hl=%202002%20%20dakota

136.4 Sealed @ 29hz

137.0 Drivers window open @ 26hz

This isn't true...

Watts = Volts X Amps

Volts = Amps / Resistance - Note that the equation with resistance has nothing to do with the output (watts) of the amplifier.

Let's say that you have an amp that produces 2000 watts at 1 ohm, or 500 watts at 4 ohms. We'll say this is at 14 volts.

At 1 ohm, 2000w = 14v X Amps This gives us an amperage of about 143 amps.

At 4 ohms, 500w = 14v X Amps This gives us an amperage of about 36 Amps.

So as you can see, wiring to a higher resistance can drastically reduce the amount of current being pulled from the amp.

Ok, I was wrong. Learn something new every day. That's just what my old tech ed teacher told me years ago, he told me the output resistance of the amp doesn't change the amp input.

Not after, didn't you say this is the third time blowing the amp? There is something basic being overlooked

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

Archived