Second Skin Audio

let's talk about warm woofers

knubs

Your tuning should play decaf pretty solid. Post up your box specs. Your tuning may not be where you think it is.

06 Police TahoeHU- Pioneer 80prsAmp- Crossfire 8kSub- 4 15" Crossfire xs v2sWire- 1/0 Knu/AudiotechnixAlt- 3 Mechman SMD 340sBatts- 6 XS Power 3100s, 2400

The reason I tune with my car on is this.

Tune with the car on, it's tuned with the charging system's voltage, mine I believe was 14.2. Now if I set then with the car off and sitting on battery resting voltage of around 12.7 then once you turn your car on it goes and jumps to charging voltage and no matter what you play you will be pushing the amp past it's point of distortion.

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

you will smell coil and know your smelling it...that shit is stinky...it's not like you need to sniff inside the port...the port will blow the smell out into the vehicle

I am tuned @35hz and that is fine for daily, but if your pounding on the Decaf your definitely going well below your tuning...the port extension for lower tuning might help, but as mentioned you may be tuned higher than you think right now...I have seen a few box designs that should've been tuned to 32-35hz but due to user error on Torres were actually tuned to the high30s-low40s range...

http://www.stevemead...cherokee-build/

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Alpine CDE-hd148bt

Alpine PKG-RSE2

PRV Audio (4) 6MB200 front/rear doors

PRV Audio (4) TW350Ti dash/rear doors

Kicker KX350.4

Obsidian Audio (1) 18 D4 v2

revamp (2) Stereo Integrity HT 18d2
DC Audio 1.2k
5.25ft^3 tuned @34hz

revamp Infinite Baffle Cpillar

AudioTechnix 60mil deadener
KnuKonceptz & SkyHigh wire (complete setup)

stroupe79.jpg

well my sub doesn't get warm at all slamming songs at 41hz, i just checked it.

and here is my design for my box i built. the physical port length in that box is 22 3/4" . it plays high 20's pretty decently and sounds great on the lows.

155_zps0f6daf8c.jpg

15555_zps801a9ff9.jpg

Can anyone explain how playing below tuning causes the voice coil to heat up? The coil shouldn't be rubbing on the inside of the magnet, so increased friction from the increased cone movement obviously is not the issue.

It is not really the playing below tuning, it is the idea of driving the speaker past it's mechanical limits. If you play below tuning and stay within the speakers limits, it will actually cool better from more cone motion.

Current system:

1997 Blazer - (4) Customer Fi NEO subs with (8) American Bass Elite 2800.1s

Previous systems:

2000 Suburban - (4) BTL 15's and (4) IA 40.1's = 157.7 dB at 37 Hz.

1992 Astro Van - (6) BTL 15's and (6) IA 40.1's = 159.7 dB at 43 Hz.

Archived