Sundown Audio

Heat, has it happen to you ?

__d_a_v_i_d__

Do you have a DC clamp meter by chance?

Might be worthwhile checking the current draw when the amp is idle (should only be a few amps at most, if that).

It would be good to know if your amp is drawing excessive current or whether its just warm from the ambient temperature (which seems unlikely unless the heatsink is in direct sunlight).

he said it gets hot from the ambient temperature, amps not playing

Team Flex Issues

My amp runs warm, but it wasn't even running and it is off and it's hotter than when I ran it for hours ...

mine do the same thing, but haven't protected....just happens when it gets hot

how do you know for sure it was thermal protect?

Im actually assuming, since i cant even touch it longer than 3 seconds the case being that hot...

My DC 3.5k has going into thermal protect quite a few times after school, car sits under direct sunlight, amp sits right below my hatch window which acts like a damn magnifying glass. Just have to cover the amp with the sun visor thing for the front windshield and withing 5 min it's cool enough to come out of protect, never had issues from thermal protect because of playing it too hard, not a single time, wired to .5, 1, and 2 ohm at different times.

Acts like a damn green house, well my amp has never protected thermally while playing... i couldnt even get to play it right now.. lol

Never went thermal protect but I uninstall my sub amps during the heat of the summer and run the mids/highs amp at a lower volume level so I dont fry shit.

Its been 105-110 in the shade last few days already and gets 115-120 for about 3 months of the year here and over 120 once in a while. I get into my vehicle that sits parked outside and its so hot you cant touch the amps heatsink with your hand for more than a second or two before it starts to burn you and thats without the amps even being turned on.

Fried a single mosfet on my amp less than a month after installing it because of the heat so I have came to the conclusion that I just deal with no real audio for summers here and uninstall at least the sub amps. lol

Actually seems like a good idea, amp is retarded hot, which i had a heat sensor...

Might be worthwhile checking the current draw when the amp is idle (should only be a few amps at most, if that).

It would be good to know if your amp is drawing excessive current or whether its just warm from the ambient temperature (which seems unlikely unless the heatsink is in direct sunlight).

dont see how current draw is relevant, amp is not on, not running. Trunk is acting like a green house and its really hot inside the trunk, so amp is already super hot before i even get a chance to turn it on....

i dont think the 3 fans im going to add to it will Prevent it from getting hot when its not in used...

Do alot of you guys uninstall amps when summer comes around ? im considering this, cause i never had this problem and its only going to get hotter from now on....

Your amplifiers will still draw (very small) current at idle.

Edit: nvm I didn't realize they were off. I thought they were on and not playing.

'01 Dodge Stratass Sealed Trunk Build Log
2008 Honda Fit Sport Build Log

On 10/3/2013 at 10:00 AM, ROLEXrifleman said:

Anyone who says they knew everything they wanted out of life at 19 can go suck a bag of dicks cause they are lying to themselves or brought up in a cult.

Got it. I thought I read that it was turned on (with the car) but not playing (sitting at idle). :Doh:

Hmmm, how about solar powered fans on the amps..?

Takes no power from the vehicle, but when under heavy sunlight, the fans turn on and at least move some air around the amps to help cool them.

You'd be surprised that even blowing warm air on electronics helps keep them cool enough to operate within their specifications.

This post sent with 100% recycled electrons.
2004 BMW M3
Mechman 280A
2 - XS Power XP3000

1 - XS Power D375

500F of Maxwell SuperCaps (soon to be 1000F)
iPadMini2

Dash mounted O-scope
Audison bitOne (Remote DRC MP)
Highs Amp - PPI Art A404
Hertz HSK130 (HSK165 waiting...)
DC Audio DC9.0K
2- DC Audio XL12m2

LEGAL             - 147.3dB @ 41Hz
OUTLAW         - 150.2dB @ 45Hz

OUTLAW         - 145.7dB @ 30Hz
JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER

2014 COLORADO PEOPLE'S CHOICE WINNER

SOTM BUILD:
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/141656-wicks-e46-m3-build-bass-turbo-button-and-a-big-new-addition/page-68#entry2802026

sig-sized6_zps0265e669.png

Like keep the fans running when car is not on ?

its just a heat issue

Correct, and the fans would help keep the amp somewhat cooler.

Hard to tell if it would be enough cooling, but better than removing equipment and not being able to use it... :shrug:

If you're really serious about using that amp along with the excessive ambient temperature, there are a couple other ideas:

-Ducting an A/C line to the amp (as mentioned above).

-It would be complicated, but look into "peltier" devices. Its a semi-conductor that produces cold on one side of the device which can be used for cooling purposes. They also require a good amount of power to be able to sync that kind of heat, but there are other options besides removing the equipment.

This post sent with 100% recycled electrons.
2004 BMW M3
Mechman 280A
2 - XS Power XP3000

1 - XS Power D375

500F of Maxwell SuperCaps (soon to be 1000F)
iPadMini2

Dash mounted O-scope
Audison bitOne (Remote DRC MP)
Highs Amp - PPI Art A404
Hertz HSK130 (HSK165 waiting...)
DC Audio DC9.0K
2- DC Audio XL12m2

LEGAL             - 147.3dB @ 41Hz
OUTLAW         - 150.2dB @ 45Hz

OUTLAW         - 145.7dB @ 30Hz
JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER

2014 COLORADO PEOPLE'S CHOICE WINNER

SOTM BUILD:
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/141656-wicks-e46-m3-build-bass-turbo-button-and-a-big-new-addition/page-68#entry2802026

sig-sized6_zps0265e669.png

Not sure if your seats fold down or not but you could try folding them down to allow the heat to leave the trunk and depending on area you live in , or weather conditions you could trying leaving your windows down a little bit to allow better air flow.

Archived