wanting to take roof rack off my 02 tahoe?

Guys, really want to remove this ugly roof rack from my 2002 tahoe, but obviously before i do it i have a few questions.

1st, will i have holes in roof that i cant cover up without doing body work? or can i simply place a stainless steel bolt in the threads (assuming there are threads) and just do that with a very short bolt so it wont be noticeable....????

Anyone remove theirs yet and not do body work mods afterwards? Please holla at me with pics and some info... thanks

I love my staffie :good:

So anti FACEBOOK it isn't even funny

I've been contemplating this with my equinox as well. If they're small enough holes, I would think maybe something like this might work, stainless steel hole plug with a rubber gasket to seal it, nut and washer on the inside with a little loctite to make sure it doesn't come loose.

8006000018b12396a.jpg

8006000018b12396b.jpg

I would be interested to see if those plugs would work because the only time I have removed roof racks was when we were painting a car and we just welded in the holes and smoothed them out. But if the plugs work I would love to get rid of the retarded rack on my daily!

Firm believer in letting my cars do my talking!

You can't rush quality, it doesn't happen overnight. Quality takes time and dedication, but the end results more than pay for it.

"Black Pearl" Build Thread

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/67183-1985-buick-regal-limited-build-log/page-1

I have removed mine a llong time ago.

I was worried about holes too but I just went and did it.

I thought it bolted thru the roof, but there where actually nut like things welded into the roof and the bolts bolted into them, I replaced the llong bolts with shorter stainless steel bolts to plug the threaded holes, once i had my headliner out at a later date i noticed there wasnt no need to really put a screw back in there since it was still all sealed.

I have removed mine a llong time ago.

I was worried about holes too but I just went and did it.

I thought it bolted thru the roof, but there where actually nut like things welded into the roof and the bolts bolted into them, I replaced the llong bolts with shorter stainless steel bolts to plug the threaded holes, once i had my headliner out at a later date i noticed there wasnt no need to really put a screw back in there since it was still all sealed.

i love you sweety

Yeh ive had mine removed for awhile. Its a threaded insert its just a little cup. Water wont leak through. I put black rtv silicone in ther for shits and giggles to stop it rusting out. Let it dry then i chopped the excess to make it flush.

Fuck warning points.

Yeh ive had mine removed for awhile. Its a threaded insert its just a little cup. Water wont leak through. I put black rtv silicone in ther for shits and giggles to stop it rusting out. Let it dry then i chopped the excess to make it flush.

yup, i went to fastenal and bought 10 6mm x 1.0 set screws, wrapped pipe tape around them, threaded them in using 3/16ths allen wrench to just "under" the flush point, then sealed them with clear rtv... Dried to perfection and cant even see anything. Came out great.

I may have to do this to my Hoe ^^^^^ :drink40:

Thats cool. Im way too old to be upset by shit like that. Your name is winston. Your own parents hated you even before you were born.

My penis is bigger than your penis

I'm far from loud and my roof/headliner flaps around like Adam's ass on a windy day. I think it depends more on the structure of the vehicle.

Archived