Synthetic oil change intervals, 16,220 miles

This is not my report, but taken from a same model vehicle as mine. 16,220 miles with Mobile-1 synthetic, and advised to try 18,000 miles with the next interval.

Curious what you guys' oil change intervals are with synthetic. I've always used Mobile-1 but have heard good things about AMSOIL and Royal Purple as well.

oil_1-page-001.jpg

When I hear music, I fear no danger. I am invulnerable. I see no foe. I am related to the earliest times, and to the latest.
~Henry David Thoreau

I don't care what oil it is.. I don't trust it for 18k miles lol

I use Royal Purple.. 10W30 Synthetic.. 4 quarts of that with a quart of Rislone. Love it!

I change every 3000 - 3500 miles depending when I start to hear my lifters ticking :)

On 5/8/2011 at 7:38 PM, Kranny said:
On 5/8/2011 at 7:35 PM, 'Maxim' said:

It hurts me inside when I read stuff like this and remember you're 15

LMFAO so true

:blush:

Mitsubishi 3000GT (Old Build)

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS

Frontstage: (2) McLaren Audio MLT-2 Tweeters & (4) PRV Audio MR Series Neo 6.5" Mids

Substage: 4 15" Hybrid Subs - Tantric Motors & Sundown Softies

Amps: Banda 2.4D Amp (Tweets), American Bass VFL 350.4 (Mids), and (2) Ampere 3800s

Electrical :Singer 260A Alt & JY Power Lithium

2005 Chevy Colorado Ext Cab

Frontstage: 4 PRV 700Ti Tweets & 6 10" Delta Mids on 3000wrms

Substage: 6 Fi BTL 18s in a 4th Order Walkthrough on 3 Wolfram 4500s

Electrical: Singer "390" and JY Power

My Official Feedback Thread

I use Royal Purple.. 10W30 Synthetic.. 4 quarts of that with a quart of Rislone. Love it!

I change every 3000 - 3500 miles depending when I start to hear my lifters ticking :)

Funny thing with lifter tick. When i get Lifter tick on morning start up im about 500 miles away from being due for oil change. 91 Vw with 243k.

18,000 oil change IMHO is to high. Im sure in the owner manual that is for normal driving conditions.

If you are under server driving conditions ie. Stop and go, short driving trips, car sitting for longer periods, im sure it'll say to change oil sooner.

If it's worth building, it's worth over building.

image_zps27zlqdnx.jpg

Only 3000-3500 miles? That's even lower then what's recommended for most motorcycles.( is it heavily modificated?)

You can easily do 10-15k miles depending on the oil, obviously it depends on how you drive.(do you let it warm up slowly, drive a lot on the highway, little start/stop, long distances at once, if you answered yes to all these questions you can easily do 15k without a oil change. This only applies for good quality full synthetic oils.)

If your lifters are ticking you need to find a real solution, instead of using a bandaid . :)

Obviously if you don't get to that number in a year, you'd have to change it too.

Too much people buy into the whole oil change thing, the recommended oil changes are for when people use the cheapest oil and if they abuse the car.(a lot of start/stop, not letting the car warm up,...)

If I would change the oil on my car every 3k miles, i'd almost have to change it twice every month.

Thinking is the root of all problems...

You ALWAYS get what you pay for.

I change every 5k in the malibu with a full synthetic

Truck is once a year since it never goes 5k

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

Only 3000-3500 miles? That's even lower then what's recommended for most motorcycles.( is it heavily modificated?)

Not at all.. Stage 2 clutch, full exhaust, intake, and other small things.

You can easily do 10-15k miles depending on the oil, obviously it depends on how you drive.(do you let it warm up slowly, drive a lot on the highway, little start/stop, long distances at once, if you answered yes to all these questions you can easily do 15k without a oil change.

I actually answered ALL no to those questions :/

If your lifters are ticking you need to find a real solution, instead of using a bandaid . :)

Haha.. I know, I know. The real fix is '99 big bore lifters. I'm going to college towards the end of this summer, so my car is gonna sit at home.. Im gonna try to save that money, and put it into the car next summer (when I hopefully have time.

On 5/8/2011 at 7:38 PM, Kranny said:
On 5/8/2011 at 7:35 PM, 'Maxim' said:

It hurts me inside when I read stuff like this and remember you're 15

LMFAO so true

:blush:

Mitsubishi 3000GT (Old Build)

Frontstage: (2) McLaren Audio MLT-2 Tweeters & (4) PRV Audio MR Series Neo 6.5" Mids

Substage: 4 15" Hybrid Subs - Tantric Motors & Sundown Softies

Amps: Banda 2.4D Amp (Tweets), American Bass VFL 350.4 (Mids), and (2) Ampere 3800s

Electrical :Singer 260A Alt & JY Power Lithium

2005 Chevy Colorado Ext Cab

Frontstage: 4 PRV 700Ti Tweets & 6 10" Delta Mids on 3000wrms

Substage: 6 Fi BTL 18s in a 4th Order Walkthrough on 3 Wolfram 4500s

Electrical: Singer "390" and JY Power

My Official Feedback Thread

You can easily do 10-15k miles depending on the oil, obviously it depends on how you drive.(do you let it warm up slowly, drive a lot on the highway, little start/stop, long distances at once, if you answered yes to all these questions you can easily do 15k without a oil change. This only applies for good quality full synthetic oils.)

Too much people buy into the whole oil change thing, the recommended oil changes are for when people use the cheapest oil and if they abuse the car.(a lot of start/stop, not letting the car warm up,...)

If I would change the oil on my car every 3k miles, i'd almost have to change it twice every month.

Your right.....

And i know a dude at work here that owns a BMW, and they recommend a once a year service. Milage doesnt matter.

Another that his car counts down 16,500 miles for oil service.

And, in my car, that, like you, i put around 1000 miles a week on, i have gone 7500 a time or two. And, i dunno what your guys cost, (the TSX is paid for, perk for buying certified) But, at over 3 digits a service, it can hurt a bit.

All that said,... i will contiue to do what im doing, service wise. Even if it just calms my head.

Archived