XS Power

XS S3400 resting @ 12.1v "Bad Cell"

I bought this battery a little over 3 years ago but then got tasked with an overseas assignment, once I got to Europe, I messed up the tranny and no one there could obviously do the work the way I needed on the Saturn so I had a pretty paper weight in my front yard for 3 years, for the most part.

Fast forward, I'm back in America, trying to get everything up and running. GM dealership tested the S3400 as a bad cell, not really holding charge, and so did the Autozone charger. I don't know anyone else with a good battery charger just yet.

It's been sitting in my garage for about a week. Still reads out 12.1v. Is it a bad battery? It won't take the complete charge, it gets to about 80% then won't take much more.

Edited by Dom_J

Saturn Ion Redline - XS Power Batts(S3400/D680) / (1) Optima Yellowtop / (1) Nations Electric 275a Ecotec Alt - (1) W7 12- BMW E90 - (1) 15" "MD Sounds" Konaki reconed by PSI / /(2) Batcaps

Gotcha.

Saturn Ion Redline - XS Power Batts(S3400/D680) / (1) Optima Yellowtop / (1) Nations Electric 275a Ecotec Alt - (1) W7 12- BMW E90 - (1) 15" "MD Sounds" Konaki reconed by PSI / /(2) Batcaps

• 2 weeks later...

What should I do to verify the leads are gon bad? It didn't completely sit for 3 yrs. it's probably went down every six months after running for only a few.

I would almost guarantee you it is not a bad cell. If it is a bad cell it will not be in the 12V range.

If the battery sat for 3 years then it has so much sulfation built up in the battery it has killed a good portion of the lead plates in the battery. If this is the case, then you will not be able to bring it back.

Some of the higher end CTEK chargers claim to fix the issue with the build up.

Id maybe see if you can find someone with a CTEK charger that will recondition batteries.

A friend use to have a model 7002 iirc, and I used it countless times to keep bringing back my 1st generation d3100 that was attempted to be stolen and dropped in my driveway and leaks. I brought this battery back a hand full of times when my normal charger wouldnt even charge it (even if I hooked up a second battery to trick the charger). I cant even count how many Optima redtops, and yellow tops it brought back and a few bad kinetiks too.

Sad part is, these smart chargers are some what expensive, so its not worth it to buy one for one time unless you will get your use out of it, but if you ask around maybe you can find someone with one.

Personally, they are one of the nicest chargers I have used, only sad part is for larger batteries and battery banks they take a while due to a rather low amperage output.

http://smartercharger.com/battery-chargers/

I am not going to say the desulfation mode on chargers is more hype than proven technology, but the desulfation mode on chargers is a lot of hype..........lol

You can do the same thing by cycling the battery (charging and loading, charging and loading, charging and loading, ...). The desulfation mode is basically just a pulse charge where it chargers higher than normal in pulses to try to break up the sulfation.

RealPower800x135_zps58408f90.jpg