Sundown Audio

Anyone own a SoundQubed amp?

Stephen Dunnington

I haven't used one yet, I'll be purchasing the 2200D very soon. They're very highly recommended by damn near everyone on the forum for price and quality. I'm not trying to sway anyone from buying anything. But anyone thinks you're going to have a constant stream of power that is advertised, without feeding it the power required to make that power, then you're wrong. I've yet to run the 2200D, and when i do, it wont be on stock electrical, so when i use the AMM-1 to check its output, I'll hopefully have close to if not more than rated power coming out of that amp. It doesn't matter whether the amplifier is 85% efficient or 90% efficient at 1ohm and 14.4 volts to me. If you want power, you have to give it power. Buy the q1-2200, or buy the DC 2.0k, or whatever other ~2000W amplifier you want. I promise you, you're not going to have that power coming from it with only a 100A alt and one big AGM battery for very long, and only a little longer with the 950. Batteries are just electric storage units, and those two batteries can only store what that 100A alt of yours can give them, and a 2000w @14.4v amp needs about 140A to make the 2000w. In every build, you should know how much power you need to make in order to receive power from your amplifier. Electrical should be priority number one when you know what you want, and then when that's taken care of, you start the rest. You can either save and get it all at once, or do it step by step over time.

Yeah you can run stock electrical on any amplifier, whether it's 10k or 2k. But if you dont have upgraded electrical then you're not going to get either if your alternator or battery supply cant support the current that the amp requires to run. If your alternator has a maximum 130A output, and you're trying to use the Q1-2200, you're not going to get 2000watts, let alone the 2200 advertised at 1ohm. It takes power to make power. You have to account for your cars stock electronics pulling from the alternator while running, and add that to how much your amp is going to pull. So all of those "amps that do the same performance on stock electrical" as previously stated, is false, with stock electrical being the typically stock 90A-130A alternators that are on most vehicles.

Even if you upgrade your electrical,you're still not going to see 2k on music. It doesn't take much at all for a 2200.1 just big 3 and front+rear battery.

AQ/SQ are solid amps. I've run every model in the lineup. AND, they seem to be the only company that hasn't jacked prices sky high with popularity.

the only time you see SQ raise prices is when the build house raises their prices.

I was planning on buying a soundqubed 2200D, but if i have to get a HO alternator to run it fuck that i would rather spend the money on a more efficient amp what do you guys think? If I already have a 3100d battery with the big 3 done and going to buy a 950 would i be ok without the HO alternator. I have a stock 100amp alternator.

is their 4 channel a good buy? I was planning on getting their 120.4 as well, but i don't know anymore you guys kind of swayed me.

I had a stock alt with a sq2200 with no problems. I'm running it at half ohm. The only time I really saw it dip in to the 12 volt range was when I was playing songs that are heavily clipped. Even with the HO alt when I played the same clipped songs I would see a little drop.

Archived