Is this a alt problem?

My buddy has a 98 durango, when you start the car, if you dont rev the engine up it dies, and the lower rpms make the lights dim. In his gauge cluster, he has a OEM volt meter, when the car starts its at 8, then after you rev it up, it slowly goes to 14. I think its the alt, Any opinions??

It sounds like the battery. A healthy battery should never be at 8 volts.

X2 on that a good batt will not sit that low. However it could be a combinantion of both and a bad batt will trash an alt real quick. If it was me I would replace them both

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Or tell him to go to a local parts store and have his electrical checked. A lot of local part stores will do ot free.

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.

One more thing dont ever trust the stock volt meters. mine reads 12 volts while my dmm reads 14.3 volts.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

if its not used for hi draw car audio and its a wet cell battery I would first top off the battery with distilled water and try to put a charge on it before I go buying a bunch of stuff

CURRENT SYSTEM:

• Alternator:
    1. Stock alt on mids/highs
    2. Isolated DC Power 270 SP - Charging @ 16.8v
  • Batteries: (2) XS D1400s
  • Power Cable: Double Runs of 1/0 KNU Kolossus Fleks
  • Headunit: 80-PRS
  • Sub Amp: DC 5.0k
  • Subwoofers: 2 RE MT 15s /PSI dual .7ohm recones
  • Subwoofer Enclosure: 9.1cubes @ 32hz - brutal.
  • Mids & Highs Amp: CT125.4
  • Active Components:
    • Mids RE XXX 6.5c
    • Highs - 3 RE XXX tweeters per side(A pillar)
  • Noise Control: Damplifier Pro all over the cab.

Build Log

If you do business with me please leave feedback here: FEEDBACK THREAD

Highest Legal Score: 151.0 db
Highest Musical 30 Second Average: 151.6 db

check it with a dmm . it would not start if the battery was really below 12v unless you jumped it

Banner_468x60.jpg

REP

Archived