1999 Chevrolet Blazer - Stereo Integrity, Ground Zero, Soundstream

Thanks for posting, hella good idea. I had similar amp rack and never made my wires look good, abandon the idea. I am the least creative person I know. Yours looks like it will work great though!

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

Thanks for posting, hella good idea. I had similar amp rack and never made my wires look good, abandon the idea. I am the least creative person I know. Yours looks like it will work great though!

Thanks, it won't look too bad hopefully. And like I said, this all might be fairly temporary. Just wanted it to be functional. If this was going to be more permanent for sure I would have done something better for the whole shelf.

"Clipping" is the biggest forum boner now. It's like witchcraft... it automatically explains just about everything people don't understand.

My build log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/200295-gckless-2011-chevrolet-impala/

High resolution photos: Gilbert Kless Photography

Open to any other ideas for the amp configuration as well.

Late to the party but that layout looks good, may be easier to flip the top amp mount so that the amp is on a angle, then put a beauty panel over the wiring connections and down to the box underneath to hide the cabling. That was was first thought when I looked at your config.

I am patiently waiting for your side by side review of the TMs and the Exodus'. I have yet to get the Beymas into my car but am really thinking that I may change out the silver flute rear stage for the exodus drivers. The TM's specs look good but I have no idea what they were doing with that cone, from a visual perspective its not the best looking driver, but who cares if it sounds good.

From your reports though it seems like it would be better suited for a 3-way setup as a dedicated mid-bass right?

I was seconds away from going with a groundzero 4 channel but opted for Zapco since I had experience and a dealer here. All your work looks great so far. If you get annoyed at the finish you may want to put down a layer of shellac and then put the stain down, (oil-based) it helps with bloch-i-ness in certain woods. (flexner on finishes is a great book)

Love the amp rack idea. A board to hide the wiring on the underside of the top shelf would be nice. Those amps are badass just emailed GroundZero to ger some pricing on that 4 channel.

Nav-TV Zen V Audio Interface

AudioControl DM-608

(2) Stevens Audio Neo-Comp Full-Size Horns

(4) Faital Pro 6PR160 6.5"

AudioControl LC-6.1200

(1) Fi Neo 4.7 15" D2 in 3.74 Cubic Feet @ 27.70 Hz

Ampere Audio AA3800.1

Odyssey ODP-AGM48 Battery (Starting)

Odyssey ODX-AGM31 Battery (Trunk)

Big 3 - 2\0 Welding Cable, KnuKonceptz Speaker Wire & 1/0 Power Cable, NVX RCAs, Second Skin (Speaker Tweaker Pads, Damplifier Pro Mat), Diode Dynamics LEDs

Gckless, looks like things are coming together for your build. I'm looking forward to your review of the amps once you e got everything installed. If it is anything like the pictures you took of them, folks will have every possible question answered once they read it.

Got back from Japan a couple weeks ago, and now it begins:

8838B5F4-3A30-4651-8715-FF09D538C5F4_zps

Jcarter, I replied to your email this morning. Let me know if I can help you further.

Love the amp rack idea. A board to hide the wiring on the underside of the top shelf would be nice. Those amps are badass just emailed GroundZero to ger some pricing on that 4 channel.

Open to any other ideas for the amp configuration as well.

Late to the party but that layout looks good, may be easier to flip the top amp mount so that the amp is on a angle, then put a beauty panel over the wiring connections and down to the box underneath to hide the cabling. That was was first thought when I looked at your config.

I am patiently waiting for your side by side review of the TMs and the Exodus'. I have yet to get the Beymas into my car but am really thinking that I may change out the silver flute rear stage for the exodus drivers. The TM's specs look good but I have no idea what they were doing with that cone, from a visual perspective its not the best looking driver, but who cares if it sounds good.

From your reports though it seems like it would be better suited for a 3-way setup as a dedicated mid-bass right?

I was seconds away from going with a groundzero 4 channel but opted for Zapco since I had experience and a dealer here. All your work looks great so far. If you get annoyed at the finish you may want to put down a layer of shellac and then put the stain down, (oil-based) it helps with bloch-i-ness in certain woods. (flexner on finishes is a great book)

Well the shelf is already glued on, no changing it now. And actually, I wouldn't anyway. I like the forward-facing orientation. But I do agree it could have been done cleaner. And I mentioned that before, that if I thought this was a more permanent install I would have taken more time and made that shelf and everything better looking, hid the wires and all that. But I am just going to leave it like this. More concerned with functionality, and it should hold the cables nicely.

I think either the TMs or the Exodus would be a better driver than the Silver Flute, especially in terms of power handling. I will be doing a review, but I want to get a decent amount of time listening to the TMs on good power before I drop the Exodus back in. At least two weeks once the GZ amps start putting power to the TMs. But they are doing quite well in a two way. I'm crossing at 2kHz, and don't notice any real upper-end issues. And why don't you like the look of the cone? I think it looks pretty good.

Ya know, funny you say that, because I was very close to going with a LX model. I really want to try them still, they look awesome. But I had been talking with the guys at GZ for a while and almost felt guilty not going with them lol. I did want to try them though, plus they look bitchin and I like the orientation of the amps more (connections on the front of the amp versus the sides).

The wood I'm not that worried about. I'm kinda tired of putting so much money and effort in this right now to be honest. Plus, it's not like the rest of the box is great lol. Going to have two different color stains probably because I reused the box. Just gonna do a light sanding and roll with it. The next one though, I'll try that. Though actually, I've heard better things about wood conditioner than shellac. Maybe it's just preference?

Thanks. Like I said before I'm not spending a whole lot of time on this one. If I was going to, yeah I would have made the shelf nicer than just a pair of triangles and dowels lol. But I just don't want to take the time right now, so just going to leave it. And cool man, they'll take care of you. They're all good guys and customer service is on par with the very best, as you've already seen below.

Gckless, looks like things are coming together for your build. I'm looking forward to your review of the amps once you e got everything installed. If it is anything like the pictures you took of them, folks will have every possible question answered once they read it.

Got back from Japan a couple weeks ago, and now it begins:

Yeah, finally coming together. Been a year now! Lol. But glad I waited for this revision though. Review will come later no doubt, and I'm hoping to get as much detail in there as possible.

Scott said that you guys won't be making an appearance again this year at Heatwave?

"Clipping" is the biggest forum boner now. It's like witchcraft... it automatically explains just about everything people don't understand.

My build log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/200295-gckless-2011-chevrolet-impala/

"

Well the shelf is already glued on, no changing it now. And actually, I wouldn't anyway. I like the forward-facing orientation. But I do agree it could have been done cleaner. And I mentioned that before, that if I thought this was a more permanent install I would have taken more time and made that shelf and everything better looking, hid the wires and all that. But I am just going to leave it like this. More concerned with functionality, and it should hold the cables nicely.

Hey no worries, it looks great and you are on your second system before I even STARTED mine. I always seem to pick the wrong way to do it, seems like you're doing it right!

I think either the TMs or the Exodus would be a better driver than the Silver Flute, especially in terms of power handling. I will be doing a review, but I want to get a decent amount of time listening to the TMs on good power before I drop the Exodus back in. At least two weeks once the GZ amps start putting power to the TMs. But they are doing quite well in a two way. I'm crossing at 2kHz, and don't notice any real upper-end issues. And why don't you like the look of the cone? I think it looks pretty good.

Interesting, maybe I read into your initial impressions a bit too much then, I am definitely looking at them (TMs) from a fitment point of view. To me the cone looks cheap, like a plastic cone from a boss speaker or something like that. The lip around the dustcap is strange too. I own a ST 15HT so I was a little surprised at the look of the cone specifically, wonder why they went with plastic?But realistically aesthetics is not the goal for me at all, as long as it sounds good. I am just having a hard time justifying more then double the cost of the Exodus' unless the performance far and away is better.

Ya know, funny you say that, because I was very close to going with a LX model. I really want to try them still, they look awesome. But I had been talking with the guys at GZ for a while and almost felt guilty not going with them lol. I did want to try them though, plus they look bitchin and I like the orientation of the amps more (connections on the front of the amp versus the sides).

I would have loved to be able to afford the LX series or the GZ Reference series as well but I had a amp get crushed in my move so I had to go budget. Still sticking with A/B topology and low distortion though :)

The wood I'm not that worried about. I'm kinda tired of putting so much money and effort in this right now to be honest. Plus, it's not like the rest of the box is great lol. Going to have two different color stains probably because I reused the box. Just gonna do a light sanding and roll with it. The next one though, I'll try that. Though actually, I've heard better things about wood conditioner than shellac. Maybe it's just preference?

To be honest I have started to move away from staining wood and going with wraps like leather or carpet. SO much easier and less time consuming IMHO. I use the shellac method on butcher block where I am not sure exactly what all the pieces are or refinishing work but audio meh as long as its not fur or bedliner I'm usually happy.

Box is done. Got all holes drilled and everything sanded down. Doesn't look the cleanest but oh well. Stain will go on tomorrow, to be followed by poly.

Subs also shipped, will be here Friday.

Well, stain is on. Doesn't look spectacular, and you can tell where the glue is, but it's progress. Poly should bring the color out a little too.

6E4956CC-C404-42BB-BDCC-279242AB2D85_zps

You could throw some carpet or vinyl on there to hide those spots and give it some contrast.

Looks good though and I love the way those amps look, really looking forward to your opinion of them once you get it playing.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Archived