1999 Chevrolet Blazer - Stereo Integrity, Ground Zero, Soundstream

Just straight guessing. I really don't know if you have a problem or not but you don't seem happy so something must be amiss? You can blame it on the box but if I were you I would not want to wreck that beast sub so I would start eliminating things and with what is going on with it...I would start with the amp. (I forget what you are currently running)

also, again i am just guessing.

DC 5.0k. Wired to .7 right now. I don't suspect the physical equipment right now, but still could be my gain. Don't get me wrong, I don't always smell coil. Maybe I'm simply getting happy with the volume/gain, but it doesn't make sense with the way I set my gain. On paper anyway.

box specs?

10 cubes net tuned to 24Hz. Tantric says 10-12 would be ok. It's a little in the small side, but not by a huge amount.

i didnt read much but your concern is the roll off at 43hz?

Well that's very likely due to the smallish box and orientation. Bigger concern is the coil getting hot/stinky.

"Clipping" is the biggest forum boner now. It's like witchcraft... it automatically explains just about everything people don't understand.

My build log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/200295-gckless-2011-chevrolet-impala/

High resolution photos: Gilbert Kless Photography

and your tuned at 24hz. im not surprised.

what amp? port size?

Gains set?

This isn't your standard sub, tuning this low is necessary to tame the peak. Went over it a few pages ago, but it's necessary for a flatter response. Wonky things happen if you tune like a normal 15-18" sub.

Amp is DC 5k wired to .7. Gains set with a -3dB tone to just before clipping, verified with an Oscope, with the car off. I have since turned the sub level down 1 on the HU.

Port is about 140sq.in., 4"x36". I know that ratio is wayyyy off from what would be optimal, but tuning this low that shouldn't have a huge impact. I don't get port noise or anything.

"Clipping" is the biggest forum boner now. It's like witchcraft... it automatically explains just about everything people don't understand.

My build log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/200295-gckless-2011-chevrolet-impala/

I don't see any problems. If O-scope says you're good just wait and see if the smell goes away? Maybe just new? Seems like you have done everything right. (like you say, on paper)

You have answered any question i would have had. yea man you have nice equipment.

I am tuned in and curious if it ever ends up being anything. I am noob though

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

I hate these kinds of problems dude! My shit is tuned at -7.5 and that's perfect for my mostly Decaf Playlists

You should be golden at -3, I've never gone past -5 on any build.

You could be getting too happy with volume, but based on the build log, it don't look like you're a noob. If signal was dirty, I think the o-scope might show it? not sure, I use my DD1.

Could be the songs you listen to are clipped? try decaf or DJSNT. I know those are clean.

Is it a bad smell or glue smell?

Tried and true method is back off when you smell for 5min and then let her rip till you smell something again. Get that cone nice and loose.

Edit: Clean ass build bro!!

The L@zy Hoe

2005 Chevy Tahoe

2,500 Watts of Highs/Mids

4 10 midrange

4 6.5 midwoofers

4 Tweeters

6 Supertweeters

2 Lithium 80AH Batteries

24K Watts

4 Custom 18s

Quad alt setup Rebuilt 250amp and 3 370s

Interior work by Lone Star Auto Works

The Build Log

Like Loud Bass? Click Here!

On 12/5/2014 at 8:06 PM, juan777 said:

See yall there, I'll be the drunk Mexican with aviators on.

On 12/6/2014 at 10:32 PM, boom50cal said:

I did see Juan LMFAO! He REALLY WAS the drunk mexican with Aviators on!

Quite simply that sub is not meant to play that high. It's heavy and takes tons of power to vibrate quickly. It is meant for lows

-Matt

2005 Dodge Magnum RT
JVC KD-AVX1

2 PPI S580.2

Obsidian Audio ST1 Horn Tweeters

PRV 8MB450s

Audio Legion 3500.1D

2 RE MT 18s

360 ah LiFePO4 Battery
SHCA 2/0

155.2 @ 29 hz

Kicker CVR 15's build
DD 3512e build
Mini T-Line Build
(6) 8s Build
Nightshade 15s Wall Build
Magnum AB XFL 12s Build
Newest Magnum Build

I don't see any problems. If O-scope says you're good just wait and see if the smell goes away? Maybe just new? Seems like you have done everything right. (like you say, on paper)

You have answered any question i would have had. yea man you have nice equipment.

I am tuned in and curious if it ever ends up being anything. I am noob though

Can't just let it go. If it was only smell and the coil wasn't getting hot I would say it was ok, but the coil is getting hot. Something is up.

I hate these kinds of problems dude! My shit is tuned at -7.5 and that's perfect for my mostly Decaf Playlists

You should be golden at -3, I've never gone past -5 on any build.

You could be getting too happy with volume, but based on the build log, it don't look like you're a noob. If signal was dirty, I think the o-scope might show it? not sure, I use my DD1.

Could be the songs you listen to are clipped? try decaf or DJSNT. I know those are clean.

Is it a bad smell or glue smell?

Tried and true method is back off when you smell for 5min and then let her rip till you smell something again. Get that cone nice and loose.

Edit: Clean ass build bro!!

The songs I'm playing are verified clean. I am playing some decaf as well. Seems the songs that are a higher level than decaf (still clean) are the troublesome ones.

Quite simply that sub is not meant to play that high. It's heavy and takes tons of power to vibrate quickly. It is meant for lows

The above RTA was taken with about 100 watts or less to the sub.

You're saying this based on what? Yeah it has a lot of mass, but it also has a lot of ass behind it. The graphs in WinISD and other plotting software don't look this bad, actually pretty smooth up to about 60. I'm fairly confident that roll off is due to enclosure/vehicle. That's not a huge concern at this moment though, I'll get to that later.

Well I think I might know the problem, maybe? So I set with a -3dB tone to just before clipping on battery voltage. But , I set it unloaded. Now I figured that setting on battery voltage would make up for having it unloaded, but maybe not. Gonna turn the sub level down another 1 (so then I'll be at -2, was set at 0) and see where I'm at.

Any tantric build I've seen, the subs get hot and smelly. There was a guy who had 4 HDD 15s on 2 crescendo 5500s who got em hot after only a few songs... He did 57s.. But they got hot quick

2006 Ford Explorer

2 Team AA/Sundown 15s

6th order

Ct Sounds 7k

4 PRV Mr500 8s

Rockford p1000-2

Team Subsonic Lows

Archived