UPS battery backup power supply question

i have a nearly 10 y/o UPS batter backup power supply that i want to use for filtering purposes and not for its battery backup on my just rebuilt plasma tv. The battery in the unit is of course garbage, so my question is if i just remove the battery (tape up the battery connectors) will the unit still work for my intended purpose? Or do these units have to have the batteries in place for them to work?

I love my staffie :good:

So anti FACEBOOK it isn't even funny

I am not 100% on this but i believe you have to have the battery in the unit for the UPS to work. Here at work we had a UPS that had a bad battery and when our main power failed it went to the UPS with the bad batt and the UPS lasted only 15 seconds.

There is not that much filtering to be had with a ups until you get the super high end ones. Its more of a surge protector that has a battery built in so if your outlet dies the battery kicks on and provides power (rather bad power as its a square sine wave 90% of the time as the perfect RMS sine wave ones are mad expensive) to the devices connected. The device will work but if you lose power its game over and that device connected to the ups will shut down immediately. Now with a ups there is over and under voltage protection and for that you NEED the battery for. I have mine set so that if the voltage gets too low or too high it switches to battery power. If you encounter this then you will switch from the outlet to the battery and since no battery is present your device will shut off.

If it were me just get a decent battery for it and be done with it. A good place I get mine from is atbatt.com. They are relatively cheap and back their products up with great service. My dad bought the wrong battery once for his flood light and they had no issues and paid for us to ship it back and get the right one and do a full refund.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

ok, thanks for the reply, but of course im not retarded, i know that if a batt isnt in it, and i loose power, well of course it will die... However like i said, i dont give a fuck about the "backup portion" of a UPS, i just want something for filtering wall socket power... What else is out there that is a reasonable price that will filter wall outlet power nice and clean for a tv that will consume 800watts???

I love my staffie :good:

So anti FACEBOOK it isn't even funny

The only filtering it will do will be when a brownout or surge takes place at voltage above ~138 or below ~95volts (depending on the unit) by switching to the battery, giving your TV a faux-sine 60Hz with about 40%+ THD. Besides that it just passes through voltage with the obligatory surge cap and breaker in place.

No battery, no "Filtering"

Look into Panamax gear. Monster Power makes some units, too, that don't require a battery.

2007 Pacifica
Rebuild. Less quiet. Still not loud.

Archived