headlight retrofit help

alright so i've been working on a retrofit project for my f150 for a WHILE now. i got the headlights mounted and aligned properly, now the part i'm having trouble with are the shrouds. they're not very deep, so when i put them over the projector, there's a gap between the back of the shroud and the reflector bowl.

you can see the gap here

20130524_150632.jpg

i took a 4" pvc coupling and tried to make an extension, and got it to look like this (after a LOT of tedious work)

20130524_201149.jpg

but i ended up making it too short lol. the picture doesn't make it look as bad as it really is. pvc is a pain to try and cut and grind down and sand and cut and grind. not really wanting to keep messing with those stupid couplings again so i've been trying to find another route

i was trying to get something like this with the PVC

hidillusionz%2B2009-present%2Bford%2Bf15

this would also be fine

hidillusionz%2B2009-present%2Bford%2Bf-1

buuuuuut i'm stuck. i even contacted the company that did those headlights above and they don't do those extensions anymore due to the time it takes to make them. any ideas???

I'm working on a set and have ordered a couple sets of shrouds. I ran into the same problem so what I did was open the back of the headlight housing so the bulb assembly sits in deeper. Was a huge pain in the ass and has been slow work. Also getting them aligned just right as you cut takes time to cut and check to make sure its aimed correctly

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

yeah the retrofit source sells the shrouds, but none of them are long enough. and i was thinking that i could have set them further back a little, but i bolted them in as well as JB weld and i wouldn't have had anything for the bolts to attach to. now i could have just JB welded them but i'm not sure how much room i have between the housing and the truck, plus i didn't think of it till the projectors were permanent lol

i hear you tho, this project has definitely been a pain and DEFINITELY slow work lol. aligning them wasn't as bad as i thought it was going to be. i used the bolts to hold them in place and slowly adjust the nuts to keep them straight and then jb welded them in place once i got them right. i can adjust the reflector bowl up and down to get them at the right level

but....i think i may have a solution. i have 6 cat food/water bowls that i can cut up and will fit perfectly over the shroud. i only need 2....but i have the chance to mess up 4 times hahaha. the plastic is much thinner than pvc and should cut up a lot easier. i'm about to find out here in 5 minutes

bill, you have any pictures of the retrofit you're working on? i bought some reflective finish spray paint i am going to test out on some pieces. thought that might be nice for the little reflector bowl of my front turn signal. maybe the plastic trim of the headlight itself, not sure yet. gonna test a couple options

I have a ton of pics. All of them are still on the camera at home. The bolting stuck out too far for me, and I knew I had room behind the housing to recess them in. Tricky part for mine is that they are a 2 light setup. So I have to align them both to match before I 2 part epoxied them in. Took a little ca glue to tack them into place till they were right.

I ended up ordering a couple versions of shrouds to see what will work ;)

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

I did a set for my 05 Taurus way back when... Anyways I vaccum formed the projector right behind the shrouds. I spent way more than you should tho... this was back before TRFS had kits.. I had to piece most of it together. Check out this link on CarDomain it has all the progressive pictures laid out.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3199106/2005-ford-taurus/page-6/

Also as a side note if you did like this you can still retain the aiming screw on the back of the housing.

* Eclipse CD3200 with PAC SWI-CAN2 and SW-ECL2 Steering Wheel Controls Interface
* Pioneer D-Series Mids and Highs ( Fronts: TS-D1702C; Rears; TS-D1702R and Dash; TS-D1002R )
* Rockford Fosgate PBR300X4 ( Mids and Highs Amp )
* DC 3.5k with Dual Inputs; Custom Plexiglass Backing ( Sub Amp )
* Rockford Fosgate Balanced Line Driver

* One FULLY LOADED ~ 10" DC m2 XL
* Custom Built Carpeted Ported Box Tuned to 32hz. Single Chamber With Volume of 1.44618³ ft ; 1.13216³ ft After Displacement
* Custom Built Carpeted Trunk Wall with Added Fans for Amplifier Cooling
* MechMan 240a High Output Alternator

* KnuKonceptz Krystal Kable RCA Cables
* Upgraded Electrical With 1/0 KnuKonceptz Kolossus Fleks Kable and 1/0 Sky High Car Audio Cable
* Five Exide Orbital ORB34M Marine 12 Volt Batteries
* PowerMaster XS D3100 12 Volt Battery

My 2008 Chrysler 300 Limited - SuperCharged 3.5L V6 - UBL

My Old 2005 Ford Taurus - CarDomain - Vehicle Was Sold

Archived