Second Skin Audio

8 inch subs

Kade

Who's got um? What do you like about them vs other sized subs?

Been looking at the Alpine 8" Type-R. Want to put 3 of them in my Caliber. Anyone have any experience with these subs or any other 8" subs?

8"s are best when you can't fit larger subs, if you do want them get some that outperform standard 8s like the SA-8v2, 8s can get real loud in arrays but it's expensive not only because you need many subs but you need to source the power, larger core area is like free watts.

I swear but my sa8, I've got 2 in the misse car on 200rms each (zx400.1@2ohm)

1.2net@33hz and I have full use of the trunk and only took 9" of depth,

I had them in 750rms for the pair, the the wow factor on 400 is sooo much better

Who's got um? What do you like about them vs other sized subs?

Been looking at the Alpine 8" Type-R. Want to put 3 of them in my Caliber. Anyone have any experience with these subs or any other 8" subs?

8"s are best when you can't fit larger subs, if you do want them get some that outperform standard 8s like the SA-8v2, 8s can get real loud in arrays but it's expensive not only because you need many subs but you need to source the power, larger core area is like free watts.

I can fit a larger sub, but my spare tire is in the car, not under it. So, I want something that's small, but would keep up with my old 2 10"s I had. They were 400rms/800 peak on a 1.2k amp. 3 Alpine 8"s just seems like a good deal at the moment because of their air space and size. Sundown is nice, but I wanted a complete brand build. They don't have the speakers I want.

If price is an issue I have heard of not actually heard in person of some guys running the infinity 8s and being very happy with them. Again not familiar with them but they do come at about half price of even the Alpines. I did take the DD off and tossed the SD2-8 on the 500watts for a couple days a few months ago out of curiosity and it handled it fine even being rated 300rms. If you gonna toss 1-1.2k at an 8 or two 8s you prob gonna have to spend a lil more to get some that can handle that kind of daily power. Sundown prob gonna be best bang for buck at that power. I loved my Alpines when I had them but shops here on Oahu were littered with blown ones so I was reluctanted to overpower mine and bought the ones I got now. Prob extreme overpowering as I never had issue at the rated 300-350 RMS but I still like to be cautious and unless somebody here has ran them consistantly at the power you wanting to use I would spend a lil more gettin a sub that can for sure take it than having to buy another one when the first blows. I havent seen the full specs on the Sundown X8 but def now curious too. It changes also the fact you want sealed box. Some of the more intelligent guys on here can chime in and prob explain why but I do know that some subs dont perform well in sealed enclosures so be careful there. The Alpines do sound good in sealed and the SD2-8 was built specifically for sealed boxes.

Does somebody have a link to the full specs of the x-8? I saw the threads for the others 10,12, and 15 x series and been following the 6.5 on facebook but heard 8 was in works but never saw.anything else on it.

I want to try Infinity, but I've heard too many bad them. Remember I do want a full brand build. So have to factor in matching subs, amps and speakers. I've read that their speakers are very bright and tinny sounding.

I wanted 3 8s by the way. I was thinking that 3 8s had more cone area than 2 10s.

3 Alpine 8s at 350rms x 3 = 1050

(previous setup) 2 ??? 10s at 400rms x 2 = 800

Thoughts?

2009 Dodge Caliber SXT (Silver)

Deck: Pioneer X3600BHS

Amps: RF P1000X5

Front: RF P16-S

Rear: RF P1694

Subs: 1 RF P3D2-10

Cabling: Stinger 6 channel RCA, RF 4gauge kit, SkyHighCarAudio 16gauge speaker wire.

Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/188246-caliber-build

Professional Networking: https://www.linkedin.com/in/kade-mallett-332b8a104

I have 8"s in my doors, but they are more like woofers and not subs.

I heard an enclosure in a regular cab S-10 once with 3 True Bass 8"s. I've never been so impressed by such a small woofer. They were in a ported box and got lower than any 8"s should have the right to, but they were very quick and accurate at the same time. It is all about the application and installation as they say.

If I were you and were set on 8"s, then I would size the box FIRST. Above all things, make an enclosure that makes the sub happy. It took some of us years and years to realize that one or two smaller woofers can sound much better in a properly sized box than two or three larger woofers shoe horned in a space. Good luck- sounds like fun!

12 - 12"s in the STAY PUFT 1989 Chevy Astro

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

Chevy Trailblazer 5.1 Dolby Digital DTS Install

You have a beard of a mysterious sea captain. I would follow you to hell and back.

My appologies I forgot you did say 3 earlier and in that case the Alpines would prob be my choice as well sealed. Plus I run all Alpine now too except for my subs so I understand the love and for me especially the R line speakers. Running three subs you will prob need to be cautious if running them all from mono amp as to make sure the amp can operate at the impedance of how you wire them. Other than that good luck and have fun man

As I said in the first post, I'm driving a caliber.

I had heard a theory about developing sound waves at different frequencies in relation to the cabin size.

For example, a 15" would be louder outside of a civic than it would be inside; Inverse values for a minivan.

Has anyone ever heard of this theory?

Even though I'm dead set on 8"s for my caliber, just wondering how efficient and "contained"(note the theory) 2or3 8"s vs 1or2 10"s would be in the cabin size of the caliber.

Thoughts?

I have a pair of soundstream 8's if interested

No thanks man =)

Cabling: Stinger 6 channel RCA, RF 4gauge kit, SkyHighCarAudio 16gauge speaker wire.

i dont think it matters the size of the speaker. if im not mistaken its about the freq having enough time to fully mature in a sense from point a to point b. a civic has less distance for the freq to travel compared to a van.

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.

i dont think it matters the size of the speaker. if im not mistaken its about the freq having enough time to fully mature in a sense from point a to point b. a civic has less distance for the freq to travel compared to a van.

So, from a ported box point of view...Keeping constant volume while adjusting the frequency will lengthen or shorten the mature point of a frequency? Mature point being most decibels is what I'm referring to.

Archived