Second Skin Audio

8 inch subs

Kade

Who's got um? What do you like about them vs other sized subs?

Been looking at the Alpine 8" Type-R. Want to put 3 of them in my Caliber. Anyone have any experience with these subs or any other 8" subs?

2009 Dodge Caliber SXT (Silver)

Deck: Pioneer X3600BHS

Amps: RF P1000X5

Front: RF P16-S

Rear: RF P1694

Subs: 1 RF P3D2-10

Cabling: Stinger 6 channel RCA, RF 4gauge kit, SkyHighCarAudio 16gauge speaker wire.

Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/188246-caliber-build

Professional Networking: https://www.linkedin.com/in/kade-mallett-332b8a104

I've never owned an 8, but I did acquire a 10" Xcon and have it installed in the box for my 12" Zcon for a little bit while the Zcon was being reconed. One thing I can say about smaller subs is the wow factor. More impressive to see something that looks extremely small keeping up with what other people are used to hearing from 12s and 15s. Then you show them what you're working with and they don't really know what to say haha

ninja.gif Build in progress ninja.gif

I have only run RF 8's and was happy with them for being 8's until that need for something bigger kicked in.

I went from a Alpine Type R 8" sealed to a Sundown SA-8v2 ported in my truck.

I would have to guess it would be as loud if not louder now with the single Sundown as if i had two Alpines sealed, maybe closer to three.

As for power i ran the Alpine at 500w on a mrv-m500 and the sundown with 550w on the mrx-m55 (both Alpine amp's)

I will say that Alpine 8" took that 500w quite well in about 0.375 cubes.

'07 Ford Ranger - DM-608 I E700.4 I SA-CX6.5 v2 I SAZ-1500D 15th (x2) I Zv6 12" D1 I SB500-34 I JP40 I

On 5/21/2015 at 7:07 PM, boom50cal said:

of course he gives no fucks. it's a ford ranger.

only bad mother fuckers drive ford rangers

I have 4 DC 8"s. ran them in a mustang and shortly in my 300. They sound great and look great. I switched to some lvl 4 12"s. I am making a new box for the 8"s but don't know if in will use them or sell them. I will see how the box turns out. It's my first time fiberglassing, so we will see

06 300C 5.7 Hemi

K&N CAI

JVC KW-AVX640 6.1" DVD

DC Audio 3.5k

6 DC Audio 8"s

6 cubes 8" aero port at 32hrtz

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/183798-chrysler-300c-8-build/?p=2731834#entry2731834

I had the type rs in both the factory ported box and then tried two in a prefab bandpass running on an older Alpine PDX 4.150 bridged so 300 watts. They sound pretty good and clean in the factory ported box. I upgraded 8s when i got new amps and now run a DD1508 ~.8 ported on 500 watts from a PDX V9 and a Sundown SD2-8 in a super tiny sealed box ~.27 on 250 watts from the lil Alpine mono. Its all in preference and application/power. I will say as a sealed box sub the new Sundown SDs are amazing and I am probably gonna get another one for my wifes car and I just out of curiosity in a month or so I am gonna pick up a SA-8 V2 to compare to my DD1508 to see which I like better.

^ if you can wait the x can't be far away

Op

If you not getting the slimline ones the typeR is a nice sub for the price

Are you looking at sealed or ported

And how much power you plane to run

As you may be better off with a single x10 or x12

Thanks for all the replies, guys. I really like the DD and sundown stuff, but I'm kind of on an OCD budget build. I want everything to match. Alpine seems to be the best bang for the buck. Unless anyone has other suggestions...

^ if you can wait the x can't be far away

Op
If you not getting the slimline ones the typeR is a nice sub for the price
Are you looking at sealed or ported
And how much power you plane to run
As you may be better off with a single x10 or x12

Not interested in the slimline.

Sealed all the way.

1k-1.2k is comfortable for me. It's what I had on my last setup.

I looked at the X series, but 3000w peak? I don't know if I could handle that in my caliber lol

2009 Dodge Caliber SXT (Silver)

Deck: Pioneer X3600BHS

Amps: RF P1000X5

Front: RF P16-S

Rear: RF P1694

Subs: 1 RF P3D2-10

Cabling: Stinger 6 channel RCA, RF 4gauge kit, SkyHighCarAudio 16gauge speaker wire.

Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/188246-caliber-build

Professional Networking: https://www.linkedin.com/in/kade-mallett-332b8a104

peak power rating means nothing. yes a lot of good quality subs out there will take more then rated but its all about rms rating. im sure if you gave a sundown 8 500-1k watts it will be impressive at the least.

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.

If price is an issue I have heard of not actually heard in person of some guys running the infinity 8s and being very happy with them. Again not familiar with them but they do come at about half price of even the Alpines. I did take the DD off and tossed the SD2-8 on the 500watts for a couple days a few months ago out of curiosity and it handled it fine even being rated 300rms. If you gonna toss 1-1.2k at an 8 or two 8s you prob gonna have to spend a lil more to get some that can handle that kind of daily power. Sundown prob gonna be best bang for buck at that power. I loved my Alpines when I had them but shops here on Oahu were littered with blown ones so I was reluctanted to overpower mine and bought the ones I got now. Prob extreme overpowering as I never had issue at the rated 300-350 RMS but I still like to be cautious and unless somebody here has ran them consistantly at the power you wanting to use I would spend a lil more gettin a sub that can for sure take it than having to buy another one when the first blows. I havent seen the full specs on the Sundown X8 but def now curious too. It changes also the fact you want sealed box. Some of the more intelligent guys on here can chime in and prob explain why but I do know that some subs dont perform well in sealed enclosures so be careful there. The Alpines do sound good in sealed and the SD2-8 was built specifically for sealed boxes.

Does somebody have a link to the full specs of the x-8? I saw the threads for the others 10,12, and 15 x series and been following the 6.5 on facebook but heard 8 was in works but never saw.anything else on it.

Archived