Sundown Audio

(solved)for unknown reason orion sub putting amp into protect mode.

Terry Lee

Well shit man, four days with nothing to do and you could have that system wired up super fine and done right! But I understand that's not something you're interested in. Me, I'd rather do that any day than most anything other than maybe catching some ass. Fuck chasing it.... but catching it, that's another story. :-)

But seriously... YOU DON"T HAVE A WOOFER PROBLEM.... once more, YOU DON"T HAVE A WOOFER PROBLEM.

Capisci?

You've proven the woofer works with another amp and you've proven the speaker wire. Apparently, you've also proven voltage, ground ad power connections as well. You still haven't proven the head unit though and you still haven't proven the amps. I don't think it's the head unit.

Find a buddy who'll let you put your amp(s) in his ride and see if they go into protect. I would be ten internetz and a dozen doughnut holes that you've roasted the output transistors in those amps with everything maxed out.

I've seen a lot of amplifiers that will play wonderfully at low power but when you pour the coals to them they crap out... and all of them came out of cars where the guy had everything maxed. Matter of fact, I roasted a few of my own back in the mid eighties before I learned so... I've been there done that. Oh and, I've got a thousand watt Sony Explode on the shelf in my shop that came out of my son's Camry. It would make a great clock radio amp now but if you ask it for any real power, it takes a dump. Consequently, he won't go near the settings on his amps anymore.

Not trying to give you a hard time either... but I've done this my whole life and I'm not exactly a spring chicken.

EDIT: Okay, you posted while I was typing this response. Amps. Amps. Amps. For a cheap amp that does somewhere close to claimed power, I'd recommend Hifonics. Whatever you buy, find something that's one ohm stable and stay away from amps that claim dynamic power that's over 50% more than RMS. This Hifonics 1000 watt is a good little amp. It probably won't do rated power but it gets close and they don't make bullshit dynamic power claims that are twice the RMS rating. I've got one in my daughter in law's car on a cheap Pioneer woofer in a 4th order BP and it sounds very nice. Even over powers the factory mids and highs to some degree and stays clean.

Facebook: facebook.com/audioanarchyllc

Instagram: audioanarchyllc

Youtube: youtube.com/bbeljefe

aaresizehorizontal_zps47821bb2.jpg

Well shit man, four days with nothing to do and you could have that system wired up super fine and done right! But I understand that's not something you're interested in. Me, I'd rather do that any day than most anything other than maybe catching some ass. Fuck chasing it.... but catching it, that's another story. :-)

But seriously... YOU DON"T HAVE A WOOFER PROBLEM.... once more, YOU DON"T HAVE A WOOFER PROBLEM.

Capisci?

You've proven the woofer works with another amp and you've proven the speaker wire. Apparently, you've also proven voltage, ground ad power connections as well. You still haven't proven the head unit though and you still haven't proven the amps. I don't think it's the head unit.

Find a buddy who'll let you put your amp(s) in his ride and see if they go into protect. I would be ten internetz and a dozen doughnut holes that you've roasted the output transistors in those amps with everything maxed out.

I've seen a lot of amplifiers that will play wonderfully at low power but when you pour the coals to them they crap out... and all of them came out of cars where the guy had everything maxed. Matter of fact, I roasted a few of my own back in the mid eighties before I learned so... I've been there done that. Oh and, I've got a thousand watt Sony Explode on the shelf in my shop that came out of my son's Camry. It would make a great clock radio amp now but if you ask it for any real power, it takes a dump. Consequently, he won't go near the settings on his amps anymore.

Not trying to give you a hard time either... but I've done this my whole life and I'm not exactly a spring chicken.

EDIT: Okay, you posted while I was typing this response. Amps. Amps. Amps. For a cheap amp that does somewhere close to claimed power, I'd recommend Hifonics. Whatever you buy, find something that's one ohm stable and stay away from amps that claim dynamic power that's over 50% more than RMS. This Hifonics 1000 watt is a good little amp. It probably won't do rated power but it gets close and they don't make bullshit dynamic power claims that are twice the RMS rating. I've got one in my daughter in law's car on a cheap Pioneer woofer in a 4th order BP and it sounds very nice. Even over powers the factory mids and highs to some degree and stays clean.

alright ill look in to that, ill prolly get another amp in a couple weeks, i got this power acoustik though, and this problem of the shocking when i hook it up doesnt happen on that, but it does on the tma. soooo for the meantime im going to hook my sub up as a 4ohm, because when i turn up the volume alot it doesnt do exactly the same thing as the other amp, i think its my amp saying i dont support 1 ohm, imma find out soon enough tho, and with this 4 days off, yesterday through sunday, this is all ive been doing really, except for when miss female wants to come over after work at midnight or so, but im not out messing with my sub at that time.

anyways yea, im hooking this up at 4 ohms to my power acoustik 1800 watt amp now, says i can get it at 760 watts rms. hopefully that will do good enough, im going to be at this for about another hour or 2 here at the most though, so it wont take me long to make this 4 ohm, i ran another speaker wire into the box incase i decided to do that, so its all ready for it, after that, if everything seems fine im going to try to properly set it up, people are up late tonight, all the fireworks nd stuff, so if your around and this works id appreciate the help on setting this up properly with the multimeter

and if i am going to get a new amp, id like to get something that can put out 1500 rms, to equal it out with the sub and get the full potential from it that it deserves.

Hit me up man... wife is in New Orlean working and I'm here bachin it with my dogs and I've got no plans to run the roads. In fact, I'm just deadening my back doors, installing some new mids in them and tinkering with this sub box so I'm in the car audio mode tonight.

Hopefully you'll be ready to set the gains before I make too many cocktails. :-|

Hit me up man... wife is in New Orlean working and I'm here bachin it with my dogs and I've got no plans to run the roads. In fact, I'm just deadening my back doors, installing some new mids in them and tinkering with this sub box so I'm in the car audio mode tonight.

Hopefully you'll be ready to set the gains before I make too many cocktails. :-|

im ready, after making it 4ohms on this amp, everything is fine. deffidantly weaker. much weaker thats for sure, but if im going to set it up i dont want to burn out this sub or amp. sooooo im ready :) and i appreciate this help alot.

tline thread looks pretty awesome, never heard of that type of box.

im ready, after making it 4ohms on this amp, everything is fine. deffidantly weaker. much weaker thats for sure, but if im going to set it up i dont want to burn out this sub or amp. sooooo im ready :) and i appreciate this help alot.

Thanks. I've got it playing on low volume right now and it's vibrating hitting the resonant freq of my shop roof pretty hard, lol.

Need to find the clipping level of your head unit... I'll go up and read what it is and then google it... in the meantime, if anyone knows the volume level his Kenwood HU clips at, please share that info. The model number is in a video he posted a few posts up and maybe in the OP now... not sure.

I can't find much but the closest I can find is 29 of 35. Does your volume control nomenclature go from 0-35?

Oh and I almost forgot... do you have a smartphone and an aux jack on that head unit? Cause if not, we'll not be able to get very close....

test each coil with a multi meter and push down on the cone and up on the cone while doing this to see if the Load changes could be that there is a short in the coil putting amp into protect mode

123_zpsdd06b4db.png

test each coil with a multi meter and push down on the cone and up on the cone while doing this to see if the Load changes could be that there is a short in the coil putting amp into protect mode

He did that back on page two or something like that... the driver and his wiring are good. He has roasted output ICs in his amps. We're about to set gains on the one amp that still plays so if you know the clip level of a Kenwood KDC-252U that info would be grand.

Thanks. I've got it playing on low volume right now and it's vibrating hitting the resonant freq of my shop roof pretty hard, lol.

Need to find the clipping level of your head unit... I'll go up and read what it is and then google it... in the meantime, if anyone knows the volume level his Kenwood HU clips at, please share that info. The model number is in a video he posted a few posts up and maybe in the OP now... not sure.

I can't find much but the closest I can find is 29 of 35. Does your volume control nomenclature go from 0-35?

Oh and I almost forgot... do you have a smartphone and an aux jack on that head unit? Cause if not, we'll not be able to get very close....

i have a usb thing that i use, i dont have an aux cord, i have a 60hz song, and i set my gain from this youtube video, to 60 on dc voltage. yes my head unit goes up to 35, but this video says nothing about that, so yea, sounds like you know more then this guy.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBbvllZnJe8

We need a 40hz tone... I'll go find one you can download in mp3 format... I know I saw a bunch of them not long ago.

In the meantime, unhook the woofer from the amp and connect the meter probes to the speaker output on the amp (we'll be using the AC 200 volt setting on the meter)... set all of your tone controls and sub level on the head unit to flat response and wait for a link to a 40hz tone... or go find one.

EDIT: And... turn the gain all the way down on the amp.

Here... get this and get it on your flash drive... http://mp3skull.com/mp3/40hz.html

DL the 40 hz tone... first one.

EDIT: While I makes me a Crown and Mt Dew....

Archived