Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

Passive Radiator / Bandpass discussion.


Recommended Posts

Posted

Okay so it is possible, just not practical, and most likely not worth the time and effort.

And, if one were going to try it, they would need to design it that way from the start.

I may re-visit this idea down the road one day, if I can get some help from a bandpass expert, but for now, it can just remain an idea.

Thanks for the help guys!


Kickin' Cruiser

Seller Feedback


Stage 3
Dash, Door Panels,
4th Order wall 4 - 15's
on a DC 5.0K 2 DC 5.0K's


Solo X 15 (v.2) Sub Build

Posted

I've considered trying this, but I'm not sure it's advantageous in any way.

I think the largest problem would be that PR's unload like a mofo below tuning. And BP's play well below tuning a ton.

  • 3 weeks later...
Posted

I thought of the passive radiator idea today for my SA-8v2.

Would a single 12" for one 8" be too much? Or would two 8" PR would be the best as it has been suggested you double the cone area relative to the driver being powered.

Also how does using a PR affect enclosure volume in the designing a system like this? do you just have to consider the diplacement of the PR?

'07 Ford Ranger - DM-608 I E700.4 I SA-CX6.5 v2 I SAZ-1500D 15th (x2) I Zv6 12" D1 I SB500-34 I JP40 I

On 5/21/2015 at 7:07 PM, boom50cal said:

of course he gives no fucks. it's a ford ranger.

only bad mother fuckers drive ford rangers

Posted

I thought of the passive radiator idea today for my SA-8v2.

Would a single 12" for one 8" be too much? Or would two 8" PR would be the best as it has been suggested you double the cone area relative to the driver being powered.

Also how does using a PR affect enclosure volume in the designing a system like this? do you just have to consider the diplacement of the PR?

So are you just curious on trying this? or there's a reason you want use one.

Posted

I thought of the passive radiator idea today for my SA-8v2.

Would a single 12" for one 8" be too much? Or would two 8" PR would be the best as it has been suggested you double the cone area relative to the driver being powered.

Also how does using a PR affect enclosure volume in the designing a system like this? do you just have to consider the diplacement of the PR?

A single 12 will be fine since it's roughly 2x Sd of an 8.

You only have to account for the displacement of the PR when figuring up net volume.

The dificult part is going to be figuring up your tuning. Here is the "quick" version of the calculation for tuning PR's. Good luck.

f89e063d.jpg

Posted

So are you just curious on trying this? or there's a reason you want use one.

More curiousity than anything, this seemed to be the place ask people who know a heck of alot more than me on the topic.

As for that formula TF, damn that a doozie! when did they start putting letters in math? :blink::crazy:

'07 Ford Ranger - DM-608 I E700.4 I SA-CX6.5 v2 I SAZ-1500D 15th (x2) I Zv6 12" D1 I SB500-34 I JP40 I

On 5/21/2015 at 7:07 PM, boom50cal said:

of course he gives no fucks. it's a ford ranger.

only bad mother fuckers drive ford rangers

Posted

I thought of the passive radiator idea today for my SA-8v2.

Would a single 12" for one 8" be too much? Or would two 8" PR would be the best as it has been suggested you double the cone area relative to the driver being powered.

Also how does using a PR affect enclosure volume in the designing a system like this? do you just have to consider the diplacement of the PR?

A single 12 will be fine since it's roughly 2x Sd of an 8.

You only have to account for the displacement of the PR when figuring up net volume.

The dificult part is going to be figuring up your tuning. Here is the "quick" version of the calculation for tuning PR's. Good luck.

f89e063d.jpg

PEMDAS. Fuck me. lol Taylor; do you have any more equations squirreled away" It would be nice to have them on hand and try them out on my own instead of using programs all the time.

2005 Ford Focus zx4

AMT's and Planars

18" Infinite baffle

Posted

Another question that just popped into my head.

What enclosure volume recomendation should a person use with a PR?

Sealed or ported?

'07 Ford Ranger - DM-608 I E700.4 I SA-CX6.5 v2 I SAZ-1500D 15th (x2) I Zv6 12" D1 I SB500-34 I JP40 I

On 5/21/2015 at 7:07 PM, boom50cal said:

of course he gives no fucks. it's a ford ranger.

only bad mother fuckers drive ford rangers

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 637 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...