Second Skin Audio

Enclosure port noise please help

vw passat

Side note,

A 3 or 6 db subsonic filter at around 35hz would assist in remiving the the noise you are hearing,

But will come at a cost,

My wife's car has a single kicker 15" at 37hz and I fitted a 3db @ 32-33hz and I can now play down to mid 20 with out bottoming out, but its not as loud of course

If you want to do a removable port

Aeros are the easiest way to go

Either

only change the length

Or block a port

The length one is easy

Just play around with box change the length in Torres until you get 1 box that is close on speck for the longer port and same on shorter port

This is ok but not the best

Run more then 1 port and block 1 or more

For example 2x6" aero ports = 56sq" of port

Giving you 17.2:1 ratio as you have now

Tuned at what ever you chose

Block 1 off so only 1 works and you have 28sq" at 8.6:1 with is very close to where you want to be for a daily with aero (9-12aq" per ft) giving you 10-20hz low in tune

This is how I would do it

And it will also allow you to

Tune it a lot higher for meter

Idd tune the box on Torres and get it to spec with only 1x6" then just change the number of ports to 2 and see what it says

If your tuned to 40hz,no matter how big the enclosure is,no matter how low your square inch of port per cubic foot you have,you will most likely have low output at 20hz with a properly tuned 40hz setup. With your subsonic filter off,or set to low it will most likely cause mechanical damage if your unloading your subwoofer like crazy below 30hz. I would take the advice and build me a new enclosure,using aero ports on removable baffles so you can make as many baffles as you want,and just slap them on for different tunes. OR just build a new box tuned to 30hz. Be aware that most music will have a significant output loss in bass unless your listening to chopped and screwed,decaf,wiz khalifa ect... You will also most likely have a lower score the lower you tune.

What song do you play for bass race and what do you peak at?

hi joe i scraped the box and anything below 30ish is just air flowing in and out of a tube below 36hz there is no backpressure in the box and if i make a bigger box like 4ft^3 with 14sq it sounds the same air flowing in and out even when i make another one with 4ft^3 16sq it sounds like crap this subwoofer is amazing ):

I did a quick test with some numbers, If you could fit a pair of 6", full length aero ports that may do what you want. Both open = higher tune. One plugged = lower tuning. box being between 3.5 and 4 cuft

Its not the sub its the box and tuning. You want the best of both worlds. Crushing lows and a high tune with some decent SPL. That just isnt going to happen. If you want a wider bandwith you need to shrink the port area. But even that probably wont hit a mid 20hz note with any authority tuning at 40hz. If you want to hit lows I would be tuning that sub around 32hz, using an aero port or even a square port with about 9-12sq in of port area per net cube. Now having said that you will probably be loosing some bandwith in the higher range over 40hz. But musically it will sound 1000 times better. Thats just my 2 cents.

Or do like snowdrifter said and use a 2 port setup. Or even a musical daily box and a second box for your higher tuning.

Archived