Sundown Audio

Why people not like strapping amps?

Karkov

If you understand ohms law, you will realize why strapping is better. Do some homework, I can't give all the answers, makes it to easy lol.

once upon a time i read about ohms law on the12volt.com one day i shall reread this piece of wisdom.

AMI customs is louder than you ever will be and you're being a sarcastic dick towards him.

not at all infact i really did learn ohms law from the12volt.com

So after reading this entire thread, this is what I'm getting from it, lets say I want to get an amp that is 1 ohm stable and run 2 dvc 1 ohm subs at a 1 ohm load, now lets say I want to goto 4 subs and a 2nd one of those of those amps, the 4 subs could only be wired at .5 ohm or 2 ohm loads so I could strap the 2 amps to eliminate the process of gain matching, use only 1 bass knob, and still run each amp at a 1 ohm load for their peak performance sense they would be strapped. That's the only benefit I'm seeing, wouldn't that also be a benefit of strapping them?

My Youtube Channel

Trying to guess the SPL of a system with out a meter is like trying to guess how much air pressure is in a compressor tank just by letting some of the air out.

...Seems like 90 psi...

• 1 month later...

Personally I have never like strapping amps and have not seen any gain over strapping them vs un-strapping them. I have seen more competitors having issues NOT strapped than strapped.

AMI,

You lost me on the coils running coolers because in the end you are still getting the same power. If your amp does 2000 watts at 1 ohm or 4000 watts at 2 ohm strapped the amps are still running at 1 ohm each. You are still getting the same amount of power to each sub yes?

Some people strap amps and have no issues while others do but I can only go by what I have seen in the audio industry ( which ain't much as I am a nobody).. I have never heard of anyone being able to play longer because their coils are cooler with having their amps strapped vs not having them strapped.

but then again wtf do i know :unknw:

:ninja:

The amp feels a higher voltage which means a lower amperage. Higher voltage is what keeps them cooler. Example, houses use like 14ga wire to run x amount of power, while a car on 12v would use say a 4ga

amp x volts = watts

Technically wire is more so based on wattage vs. voltage. If a wire can handle 600volts x 3amps = 1800 watts

That same wire could handle 12 volts at 150 amps.

Hopes that makes sense

Stand corrected after reading more. Still partially right though. Thanks Tony!

• 1 year later...

thanks to all for resurfacing this thread! I definitely gained some knowledge! :good:

2007 Chevy Aveo Ls sedan

2 Sundown Xv2 on scv4k @ .5 ohm

2 pair RE XXX 6.5 components on sax200.4 @ 2 ohm

Big Three, Three runs 1/0 power from front to back, 1 ground front to back

Two runs ground from rear bank to chassis

XS power d3100 upfront, 3 Odyssey 2150s in bank

Singer 220 amp alt

Ok so strapping, not strapping. Same shit different day, I do have a question that may have been indirectly answered already:

Electrically it all seems identical, but what about cooling and imp rise?

Are the coils staying cooler since they see a 2ohm load?

Does it help at all with imp rise?

The L@zy Hoe

2005 Chevy Tahoe

2,500 Watts of Highs/Mids

4 10 midrange

4 6.5 midwoofers

4 Tweeters

6 Supertweeters

2 Lithium 80AH Batteries

24K Watts

4 Custom 18s

Quad alt setup Rebuilt 250amp and 3 370s

Interior work by Lone Star Auto Works

The Build Log

Like Loud Bass? Click Here!

On 12/5/2014 at 8:06 PM, juan777 said:

See yall there, I'll be the drunk Mexican with aviators on.

On 12/6/2014 at 10:32 PM, boom50cal said:

I did see Juan LMFAO! He REALLY WAS the drunk mexican with Aviators on!

Archived