A lil update/story/thing? *gory inside*

Well I went and saw her today (didn't yesterday as I was ran dead... slept for about 16 hours). She has her appetite back, ordering a ham and cheese omelette (but received pancakes??), pudding, strawberries, a muffin, hot chocolate, and bacon. She only ate a piece of bacon, the pudding, muffin and some strawberries (doctors interrupted), but fact she's ordering so much is good. She could be like "uhm, I don't want anything".

She WAS still hooked to dialysis, 24/7, but since the machine was being stupid... basically not working due to her catheter (for her, it's done through a catheter in her neck) not allowing the right pressure and such, they disconnected it right before I left. They were saying that she's basically ready for a dialysis every so often, rather than 24/7. One reason they hadn't yet was her blood pressure. But that's been stabilized now so it may be approved soon (or is, haven't heard)

At first, they were saying kidneys should be kicking in soon, even if it's not 100% but something is better than nothing. Today they're saying it's not unusual for no kidney function yet. If no function at all within next few days, they may declare her dialysis dependent, which I'm THINKING is dialysis every day but perhaps it just means 3 times a week. :shrug:

She is looking better, just swollen. In a sense, she turned into the Michelen man, on a smaller scale. But otherwise, looks a lot better than previously. It's just nervewracking as she's my mom, my backbone, and at least currently... I don't have one. I am "dad" and I'm scared about this job that I start tomorrow... not cause it's a new job but cause of the pressure. 80 hours. Some of you know, I've been job hunting for awhile to get out of a crazy place... well, I can deal with the crazy place if mom is in hospital. I didn't know she would be (no one can predict it) so took the new job. So all day, been getting the house ready... dishes, laundry, trash, any and everything that she would do. Just... odd. Nice but odd. But if I were to fail at this job (only ways I can think of is late to work and car wreck cause otherwise it's a walk in the park), I don't necessarily have a backbone to support me... cept you guys. And of course, with taking this job, I have no idea when I'll see her again, cept Saturday. Have to keep in mind, I work 8 am to 4 pm then 10 pm to 6 am... throw in rush hour at 4 pm... I gotta shower and all, I am lucky I even get to sleep. So that weighs in on me as well.

Anyways, thanks again all. Much appreciated.

Sheena = pedobear

Fingers crossed man. I wish the best for you and your mother. The SMD fam. will always be here for you guys and don't you forget it.

I'll be keeping you in my prayers

Speak and you shall receive. She's been sleeping all day as the dialysis machine kept her up all night due to it's beeping because her catheter was like :nevar: ... well, sometime today they hooked it back up and she doesn't know when. Just changed the bags for it so yeah. And she made 10cc's of urine. She doesn't know (neither do I) if that's good or what... I mean it's obviously better than none period because does mean her kidneys are functioning a tad bit. Just not sure how much. Could mean she's ready to move to the dialysis per day (they run it like 4 hours or so a day, rather than 24/7, it's the next step of her getting better).

And finally got my offer letter for the new job. $3/hr raise from the crazy place, and about 24 more hours a week. :rockwoot:

So now to finish up house shit... and then go do the errands.

Sheena = pedobear

Alright so yesterday, I didn't visit her because was my first day of 2 jobs. That, eh, was hard as it was continuous on your feet but, otherwise pretty good. Nothing too tough. Especially, when you see the owners out there doing the exact same thing your doing. Definitely love those places where they're not like "I'm the owner/boss, leave me alone".

But did try talking to her, didn't get much. She text me "hi" and I text back when I could (about 30-45 mins later). Nothing. She text me "dead" around 430 and I text back literally like 4 mins later and nothing. Did try calling and nothing.

I called the nurse this morning for an update, as I haven't heard anything. And yesterday she got up (Idk if she got up with or without help) and made it to a chair (about 10 ft away or so). Today, they're going to try the dialysis per day or whatnot. They've kept her on the 24/7 machine til today. I'm not 100% sure if she's unhooked from it now or when they will. Nurse said that she's doing very well.

If you all know of any questions I should ask (We all have brain farts and perhaps just something I'm not thinking of), feel free to tell me. I'll ask the shit out of the questions to the nurse.

I do plan on leaving work, visiting her, catching a nap in her room and then going to work. So I should have a physical update later. No update on the kidneys. We'll see.

Sheena = pedobear

I try man. I'm tired, lil sore, but unlike most people my age... I'm bout to head off to work. Do this 8 hours then go see her. And I won't lie, I've disowned a lot of people since I've been going through this. No one on SMD but we all have those local friends "Yeah that sounds good" then shit hits the fan and nowhere to be found. Was tellin earlier, someone told me they were busy so didn't talk. Alright, no problem. Found out last night, they were busy getting so damn drunk, they fractured their ribs and don't remember how. Yeah. GFY. Ain't trying to talk to anyone 24/7 but, ain't down for games or lies ya know?

That's the type of shit rest of my family does. "I can't because of this." My sister is unemployed, 0 job interviews, ect. Yet, saw mom for a few hours on Saturday and that's it. No calls, no texts, nothing. Yeah. Leave it to me who's busting my ass to take care of mom alone. Thanks family. You all are closer to me than my own family, believe it or not.

So once again, thanks all. Should be updated tonight when I'm at work.

Sheena = pedobear

Well it's apparent that my body hates me and all. I ALMOST got fired. Over slept and kinda no call no show due to over sleeping. Supposed to be at work at 10 pm. I woke up at 4:10 am. My shift is almost over. But I called the boss and yeah, I'mma get a yelling in person tomorrow but I do have a job still. Least I'm well rested for the other job now. And I know to stop somewhere and pick up another alarm and place it not so close so I have to get out of bed.

Updates... I won't do pics right now just because I'm pissed at myself for sleeping over (I set alarms that I woke up to turn off and don't recall this). But I do have some pics.

She is... better. Ever since going to the hospital, she's been getting worse. That's due to having the toxins in the blood. Now her blood is clean so she can now regain strength and get up and all. She is not able to get up but, she is working with the physical therapists and yesterday she moved from the bed to the chair. She had to do some leg lifts. She was marching. It seems like her problems are not being able to get up, her kidneys still not working and her nurses. I only saw one yesterday and she was a bitch.

So all we have to figure out is her transportation (from hospital to home, maybe home to hospital 3x a week for dialysis) and a sure fire way to wake my ass up. Lol.

Sheena = pedobear

I know I'm an unknown noob still, but damn, I feel for you man. As my username states, I am paralyzed. I've been in and out of hospitals so much it isn't funny. You asked for any advice, so I hope what I have to say is helpful to you.

My first suggestion is getting a notebook and documenting everything you can while you are there. Things like meds they're trying, how much, how often, etc. Write down her mood and physical state so you can look back and see if she is making progress, or what the doctors are doing isn't working. Write down doctors and nurses names, and note which ones are good and helpful, and which ones are bad. People think doctors are miracle workers, but due to rotating shifts, and the fact they are just trying things to see what works things do slip through the cracks. It is up to you to make sure they are doing what they say they will,and to make sure your mom isn't getting neglected. Be your mom's advocate, and don't be afraid to escalate things to a higher level of authority if things aren't getting done, that's your right. And show your face as often as possible at the hospital. Even if it is just popping in for 5 minutes. People that have family observing what is going on get better care, the nurses and doctors know who has family coming and who doesn't, and those with no family get less care.

Secondly, the transition to her going back home will be difficult, but their is a social worker at the hospital whose job it is to help you with that. GET TO KNOW HER SOCIAL WORKER AND CHARM THE HELL OUT OF HER. There are so many resources available that people just don't know about, but the social worker does. Bring up any concerns, no matter how small and she will help you or point you in the right direction.

Thirdly, she may need another care facility before going home. Once her acute needs are stabilized she will be discharged from the hospital, but she may not be able to walk or care for herself yet, so she may go to a rehab hospital before going home, or, depending on her needs a nursing home. Hopefully she will just be released to home.

Most importantly stay strong. Be strong for your mom. You are her voice right now. She needs you.

I wish you and your mom the best man.

Archived