I would like to get Air Ride / Air Bags on my 1971 Chevy Nova. Any suggestions?

Ok, I'm looking for a Air Ride Suspension for my 1971 Chevy Nova. I would like the option to lower and raise the suspension as needed. I'm not looking to blow the bank on the greatest air ride system ever created that is specific for my vehicle, but I'm not looking for something that will break every other week either. I'm looking for a middle of the road system. I'm honestly not looking to spend more than about $1,500 - $2,000. I've done some independent research online, but as I know nothing about how this stuff works, I don't know how universal kits work, if it replaces shock or struts, etc. So it makes it difficult for me to know what to buy, to know what specifications I would need to shop for these "universal" kits and if they would truly work. I know people who could help me put the system on (meaning they'd do 95% of the work, I'd be there primarily looking stupid and grabbing them tools). Any suggestion or websites or reference or education that you could provide me to give me a better understanding would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance.

1994 Mazda RX7 with LS1 Swap and 2 - 10" Kicker L7's in Truck Boxes (because of extremely limited hatch space)

2003 GMC Yukon XL with 3 - 12" MTX 9500's and still has the third row seat (over 7.5 cu ft of enclosures behind third row)

1971 Chevrolet Nova with LS1 Swap (work in progress, most likely 4 - 12" Alpine Type R's as I already have them)

1961 Chevrolet Corvette Restomod with LS7 Swap (system upgrade will be one of the first things that I'll do)

Solo Basshead For The Most Part, None Of My Close Friends Have A Passion For It, Nor The Money For It. If I'm Home And Free... Always Looking To Meet Up With A Fellow Enthusiast To Talk Shop Or Do Demos! Hard To Find Fellow Bassheads (Not Crack or Heroin Addicts, I Can Find Them Everywhere) In Baltimore / Mid-Atlantic / DMV areas.

In for some knowledge in this area.

CURRENT SYSTEM:

• Alternator:
    1. Stock alt on mids/highs
    2. Isolated DC Power 270 SP - Charging @ 16.8v
  • Batteries: (2) XS D1400s
  • Power Cable: Double Runs of 1/0 KNU Kolossus Fleks
  • Headunit: 80-PRS
  • Sub Amp: DC 5.0k
  • Subwoofers: 2 RE MT 15s /PSI dual .7ohm recones
  • Subwoofer Enclosure: 9.1cubes @ 32hz - brutal.
  • Mids & Highs Amp: CT125.4
  • Active Components:
    • Mids RE XXX 6.5c
    • Highs - 3 RE XXX tweeters per side(A pillar)
  • Noise Control: Damplifier Pro all over the cab.

Build Log

If you do business with me please leave feedback here: FEEDBACK THREAD

Highest Legal Score: 151.0 db
Highest Musical 30 Second Average: 151.6 db

Most universal kits are not truly universal. If you hVe fab skills you may be able to make it work. A large cost of a bag install is labor as well. 2k for parts doable. 2k parts and labor not so much. If you dont have experience in this type of thing I wouldn't want to tackle it on my own. A failure could be pretty catastrophic

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

I know people who are mechanically inclined, I am not mechanically inclined. But I do know a guy that is a Shop Manager at a Rim Shop, where he does suspension work and rims. But they don't carry air bags, but I'm sure he could figure it out with his 17 years of experience. I'd just like to know as much as possible when shopping for the stuff, so I have an understand of what I'm looking for and why. I don't like to not understand things and invest in them anyway, that's how I lost money in the stock market...

Most universal kits are not truly universal. If you hVe fab skills you may be able to make it work. A large cost of a bag install is labor as well. 2k for parts doable. 2k parts and labor not so much. If you dont have experience in this type of thing I wouldn't want to tackle it on my own. A failure could be pretty catastrophic

1994 Mazda RX7 with LS1 Swap and 2 - 10" Kicker L7's in Truck Boxes (because of extremely limited hatch space)

2003 GMC Yukon XL with 3 - 12" MTX 9500's and still has the third row seat (over 7.5 cu ft of enclosures behind third row)

1971 Chevrolet Nova with LS1 Swap (work in progress, most likely 4 - 12" Alpine Type R's as I already have them)

1961 Chevrolet Corvette Restomod with LS7 Swap (system upgrade will be one of the first things that I'll do)

Solo Basshead For The Most Part, None Of My Close Friends Have A Passion For It, Nor The Money For It. If I'm Home And Free... Always Looking To Meet Up With A Fellow Enthusiast To Talk Shop Or Do Demos! Hard To Find Fellow Bassheads (Not Crack or Heroin Addicts, I Can Find Them Everywhere) In Baltimore / Mid-Atlantic / DMV areas.

I know people who are mechanically inclined, I am not mechanically inclined. But I do know a guy that is a Shop Manager at a Rim Shop, where he does suspension work and rims. But they don't carry air bags, but I'm sure he could figure it out with his 17 years of experience. I'd just like to know as much as possible when shopping for the stuff, so I have an understand of what I'm looking for and why. I don't like to not understand things and invest in them anyway, that's how I lost money in the stock market...

IM going to say that if you Mechanic can't tell you what to get you probably dont want him to try and figure out what you purchased and put it on your ride.

I say this as a mechanic of 20+ years who wouldnt want to break my or anyone elses stuff ;)

CURRENT SYSTEM:

• Alternator:
    1. Stock alt on mids/highs
    2. Isolated DC Power 270 SP - Charging @ 16.8v
  • Batteries: (2) XS D1400s
  • Power Cable: Double Runs of 1/0 KNU Kolossus Fleks
  • Headunit: 80-PRS
  • Sub Amp: DC 5.0k
  • Subwoofers: 2 RE MT 15s /PSI dual .7ohm recones
  • Subwoofer Enclosure: 9.1cubes @ 32hz - brutal.
  • Mids & Highs Amp: CT125.4
  • Active Components:
    • Mids RE XXX 6.5c
    • Highs - 3 RE XXX tweeters per side(A pillar)
  • Noise Control: Damplifier Pro all over the cab.

Build Log

If you do business with me please leave feedback here: FEEDBACK THREAD

Highest Legal Score: 151.0 db
Highest Musical 30 Second Average: 151.6 db

IM going to say that if you Mechanic can't tell you what to get you probably dont want him to try and figure out what you purchased and put it on your ride.

I say this as a mechanic of 20+ years who wouldnt want to break my or anyone elses stuff ;)

Yeah... I'm assuming he can do it. He's worked at Car Shops since he was in high school, building engines, doing engine swaps, and now he's doing suspension upgrades on supercars and rims. I haven't talked to him yet, he's my sisters fiance, so all I have to do is ask him or ask my sister and he'll help me out. I just want to get the info that I need to know so I'm not a completely uninformed shopper.

This is where I'm looking to set up my 49 Ford Tudor Sedan ...

I looked up your year, make, and model ... and here you go Sir ...

http://www.ridetech.com/store/musclecars/?subcats=Y&features_hash=V285.V328

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

This is where I'm looking to set up my 49 Ford Tudor Sedan ...

I looked up your year, make, and model ... and here you go Sir ...

http://www.ridetech.com/store/musclecars/?subcats=Y&features_hash=V285.V328

Thanks. I saw this ridetech system already, I've seen a few Nova's with this system on them. I'm not looking to drop that much money if I can go about it a different way, without getting a setup specifically designed for my car. I'm really trying to avoid spending more than $1,500 for the system, $2,000 at the very most.

You're going to be hard pressed to get a complete set up for under 2k. Hell just the compressor, tanks, and all the valves and lines and various other stuff can add up to about 750-1000 depending on how much air you want to be able to hold/refill. Id say for parts only look more into the $3k range for quality parts built for your ride. A universal system is usually nothing more than 4 bags, 8 random bracket mounts (upper and lower), and a compressor, tank, and hardware. And these universal kits dont take into perspective the car they're going in. So Id say if you cant buy all at once maybe buy the right stuff for the front end now and then the ass end and install all at one time.

You're going to be hard pressed to get a complete set up for under 2k. Hell just the compressor, tanks, and all the valves and lines and various other stuff can add up to about 750-1000 depending on how much air you want to be able to hold/refill. Id say for parts only look more into the $3k range for quality parts built for your ride. A universal system is usually nothing more than 4 bags, 8 random bracket mounts (upper and lower), and a compressor, tank, and hardware. And these universal kits dont take into perspective the car they're going in. So Id say if you cant buy all at once maybe buy the right stuff for the front end now and then the ass end and install all at one time.

Yeah... I can afford to get the kit that's $4,000 or the $8,000 kit... but I'd like to avoid paying the $4,000-$8,000 for the Ride Tech kits for my Nova, if I could. I don't see me using the air ride too much, maybe a few pro-touring competitions and maybe a few car shows a year.

Archived