What's gonna happen with Windows 8?

So I got a new laptop, and despite all my effort to get a Windows 7 model, my dad wouldn't stop bugging me about being prepared for the future so to stop wasting my time trying to find ancient technology and moving on......

So far, as expected, I'm hating this windows 8 at every turn. Getting anywhere you need to take more time and steps than it should, doing basic PC tasks is now difficult, it's hard to find any of the menu's you need to reach certain folders/files/whatnot. There's always some side-menu getting in the way, and I can't navigate quickly enough through all that extra crap on the windows page, or whatever you call it.

I understand it's something to get used to, but my mom's been using windows 8 for a little over a year everyday, and she hates it, the moment she gets home she switches to her Vista desktop which is 6 years old and has a ghetto laptop HDD in it lol

I've read that Windows 7 was going to be the new XP in a sense that everyone will wait as long as they possibly can to avoid switching to it's current CRAPPY predecessor. XP>Vista, as Win7>>>Win8. Now as happy as that made me seem, it appears as though that will be much more difficult to accomplish because of how hard it is to get computers with Windows 7 still? (for people that don't build them, and obviously for all laptops, unless you somehow have enough money to build one of those.) When I built my desktop I bought a copy of Win7 Home premium 64-bit for $200, and I would have gladly done that again to avoid windows 8, but it seems like windows 8 is cornering the market, forcing Win7 out. I mean, I remember buying a Vista PC in '09, a few years after it came out, and there were as many XP based PC's available in the store as there was for Vista. To be honest I didn't mind Vista, I never had a single issue with my copy, but I heard plenty about it's flaws. But now that all support of XP is closing next year, then Vista a little later, I would have thought Win7 would shine out its glory until it's cut off in 2020, but I doubt it can really make it that far with how hard MS is forcing win8 on us.

I hear 8.1 is going to fix everything that people have issues with on windows 8, but that sounds too optimistic since the problem is the majority of the OS functionality and user-friendliness. Maybe I just don't fully understand the changes they're planning but regardless I'm not holding high hopes for it.

WHO IN THEIR RIGHT MIND THOUGH IT WOULD BE A GOOD IDEA TO GET RID OF THE "START" BUTTON? FROM A PC?

THATS LITERALLY LIKE TAKING THE APPLE LOGO OFF OF ALL APPLE MAC COMPUTERS, EASILY THE MOST RIDICULOUS THING YOU COULD HAVE DONE. COMPLETELY IMPRACTICAL.

Biomedical/Behavioral Science Major, The (Self-Proclaimed) Undisputed-Homemade-Woofer-King

Super-Neodymium-Woofer Build Log: The D4BA-V.2 http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/169236-diy-super-neodymium-woofer-build-log/?p=2475620

Fucking love Alan you goddamned fucking super nerd lol

When Alan uses big words I don't understand

It's warming up enough that the donut-punching cyclist douchenozzles are getting their two wheeled fagmobiles out.

Everytime I see a guy driving a mini cooper I cant help but think he loves cock & (2/29/16)-My wife just bitched at me about throwing out things we don't really use. My response of well we don't really use your vagina so should we throw that out was evidently not the right response. I had to leave the room.

I missed Alan.

RIP 5/29/15 - I love you son.

I know brian (audiofanaticz) has a couple of programs regarding windows 8 that make it look/function like windows 7 except you get the speed benefit of 8

ill see if i can find the topic or maybe he will chime in here

i personally dont like 8, but getting 7 to work on the new family laptop was so damn hard it was hardly worth it

PSN: Rcp_soundz

Good rule of thump is go by what fuse size is being used in these amps. The higher the more amperage it pulls, this is what I look at.

I'll stick a 300 amp fuse in a potato and sell it to you for $2k.

1991 Mazda 323VERY small build thread here: http://www.stevemead...23-small-build/

I have it on my new samsung chronos.

Its not all too bad, its just windows 7 with a new look.

Theres 2 programs needed for people who like 7 over 8. I havent dumped 8 yet because of these 2 programs..

The first program is called classic shell, this will give you your start menu back.

Its a free program, or you can donate to them to add more options. Im running the free (it doesnt add any bloatware programs or anything with the free version).

http://www.classicshell.net/

The next program is called skip metro. This will get rid of that big app window that you instantly see.

You can edit some of things to keep some of the new win8 items, or you can bypass them all.

Here is the readme http://reviews.cnet....ows-7-50009546/

Here is the download http://winaero.com/d...oad.php?view.33

I will make a quick video to show what it looks like

quoted from brian

Good rule of thump is go by what fuse size is being used in these amps. The higher the more amperage it pulls, this is what I look at.

1991 Mazda 323VERY small build thread here: http://www.stevemead...23-small-build/

not sure why i didnt just link the thread lol

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/161822-windows-8/

atleast when 8.1 (Blue) comes out, you will be able to have your computer start on the desktop and also there will be a start button. which is all I care about. I cant stand the apps screen bullshit or having to bring up charms or whatever its called to shut down the damn computer. big improvements lol

98 Isuzu Rodeo
Pioneer Deh-6300ub
SUBS
​*Upcoming* SSA Xcon 18 4th order
AMP
​Banda 3500
Mids/Highs
Pioneer
EQ
Clarion EQS746
ETC.
Two 1/0 run's
KnuKoncepts 1/0 big 3
Shuriken BT-100 under the hood
Shuriken BT-120 in the back

yeah it seems like it takes so much longer to do everything, not because of reaction speed, but getting to what you want via navigating takes so long to learn.

Biomedical/Behavioral Science Major, The (Self-Proclaimed) Undisputed-Homemade-Woofer-King

Super-Neodymium-Woofer Build Log: The D4BA-V.2 http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/169236-diy-super-neodymium-woofer-build-log/?p=2475620

Fucking love Alan you goddamned fucking super nerd lol

When Alan uses big words I don't understand

It's warming up enough that the donut-punching cyclist douchenozzles are getting their two wheeled fagmobiles out.

Everytime I see a guy driving a mini cooper I cant help but think he loves cock & (2/29/16)-My wife just bitched at me about throwing out things we don't really use. My response of well we don't really use your vagina so should we throw that out was evidently not the right response. I had to leave the room.

I missed Alan.

RIP 5/29/15 - I love you son.

Stardock also has a program called start 8 that was recommended to me since I wasn't a fan of the no start menu and loading to the modern screen as opposed to the desktop as well. It's $4.99, but to me is worth every penny. There is a free trial if you want to try it out and when I did I let the trial run out prior to purchasing it and they sent and email to purchase it for I believe $3.99. I know its only a dollar but was still worth it either way.

They also have another program called modern mix which lets you change some of the ways that modern interface programs operate. I can't remember the functions for sure but it allows you to run the programs in a windowed mode as opposed to full screen and has a close button on the title bar as well. Great if you use the modern programs but hate the full screen/no close button like I did.

pgsig.png

Thank god the next one is going to be different. I never used 8 but just from the look of it I knew I wasn't gonna like it. Was considering getting a MacBook even though I prefer Windows, good thing this laptop with Win 7 is still working pretty good *knock on wood*

2015 Mazda 6

JVF Customz 4.0 Proto 15>Wolfram W4500 @ .5ohm

2 Sundown Neo 6.5 + 2 CT Meso Tweeters (Front) x Kicker KS6.5 (Rear)>JL Audio VX400/4i

NSB-AMG35 (front) / 40ah Lithium Headway (Rear) built by Erni Audio & Electrical

i got windows 8 knowing i would hate it but just because it was the new OS and didn't want to lag behind.

startisback.com is where i got my start menu from. $3 to activate the start window on 2 computers. very customizable and you can disable all the stupid 'hot corners'. mine behaves like windows 7 95% of the time now.

Archived