Sonic Electronix

Best enclosure type for a SQ build?

SA 8 subs been know´n for working good in ported boxes.

ok brother ... please let me explain. I never said that Sundown products are not good for Sound Quality, it's just the I would never use them in a SQ vehicle (personal preference only). Now the reason That I said this is for our pure Sound Quality applications where major volume is not an issue, Meaning tighter suspensions would not produce those very delicate frequiency responses like the drivers we use will ...

For an every day musical sub driver, Yes, I think they are great and would recommend them if I was not sopnsored. Most subs (like the SAs) have really tight suspension setups and that makes it very hard for a dynamic amplifier to reproduce those those stand up bass instruments you very commonly hear in Sound Quality music and when time aligned correctly ... make you have a sence of "Up front and on the dash" bass response ...

Honnestly ... if Cerwin Vega still made the "origional" strokers ... That's all I would use for Sound Quality and SPL ...

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

If you want to run the sa8

1.8 net 25-28sq" of port 32-33flat

And enjoy

However

Another sundown sub to look is the x for a more low end monster

I love my sa8 and they slam for what they are

But you could do a 2 fiq10 or 12's sealed

Even a single q15 sealed in same net

Just get the qts option

Other wise a single q12 ported @28-30hz will do the job nicely

And save some coin on the power

I really dont know what driver would be the best I am very new to SQ and have a lot to learn with all that what works with what stuff. I dont want to start a VS. thread here but I know some stuff works better with certain stuff. Could I have some examples of some SQ set ups out there? Like how many drivers, what brand and what amplifier? Thanks for the input guys it really helps.

If I was gonna do only SQ, I would do infinite baffle with some Dayton's or run an isobaric setup like cablguy for a better linear response.

2003 Kia Sorento

Team Subsonic Lows
Team Bassin' on a Budget

2016 Rebuild Under Construction

Best score: 150.2 at 40hz (3k, 2 Custom HDC3 15's) Usaci style(door open, in the kick)

Of course, Cablguy is one of the best people to listen to when it comes to SQ

Randal: That's why Jacob is developing a line of SQ subs, SA's are awesome for daily but like you said, stiff suspension hurts responsiveness.

2003 Kia Sorento

Team Subsonic Lows
Team Bassin' on a Budget

2016 Rebuild Under Construction

Best score: 150.2 at 40hz (3k, 2 Custom HDC3 15's) Usaci style(door open, in the kick)

To kind of shed some light for you OP, briefly:

A 4th order bandpass has a steeper frequency rolloff, ie potentially less useable bandwidth. A 6th, same story. A typical vented enclosure has about a 12 dB/octave rolloff and a 4th will have a rolloff around 24 db/octave. So you can get some GREAT output in a more narrow bandwidth from using a 4th order bandpass enclosure.

Finding a sub that fits the parameters for a sealed box will provide the most linear flat response, but in theory you can get the extra 3 db benefit from a vented cabinet.

CablGuy(Randal) is very knowledgeable about SQ, therefore listen and take notes. Seriously, write it down and commit it to memory. He has a lovely isobaric setup that I've heard does a marvelous job at reproducing sound with deadly accuracy and clarity. I hope to sit in his truck one day with to soak it in.

Vented enclosures can give you great range if designed well and built properly. Having good cone control and an enclosure that can perform IN the vehicle is very important.

Just to clarify... a ported box has a -24db rolloff (4th order). And a 4th order bandpass has a -12db rolloff (2nd order), but on both the low end AND upper end.

Ported *can* sound just as good (or better) than sealed if done properly. It's just more difficult to get right. And not to get too deep, but transient response is a pretty big deal; and the more complex the design and the more energy devices, the worse it usually gets.

Isobaric loading is lovely for SQ because of the natural cancelling of unwanted distortion. It will sound "funny" to a lot of people that are used to hearing that distortion though. And the boxes are tiny. But hardly noteworthy with today's small box drivers.

IMO, nothing does SQ like infinite baffle.

Would anything skar audio be good? like the MA8 or the VVX8?

Depends, do you want a real SQ setup, or do you want something that sounds good?

What the f**k is an appropriate signature supposed to look like?

2013 Kia Forte Koup

Pioneer AVH-X4600BT

iDMax 12

DD M1c @ 2 ohms

Rockford Prime 200.2

Pioneer 6.75" Comp Set

XS S3400, D2700

Project DB Battery Terminals

Axxess ASWC

Stinger HPM Everywhereeee

90 Sq. Ft. of Stinger Roadkill

Stock Alt

Stuff To Come

Sundown X-12

New Amp

New Comps

4 Channel Amp

My Current Build: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/167462-13-kia-forte-koup-dd-setup/

My Old Build: http://www.stevemead..._+2000 +mustang

Archived