Second Skin Audio

Two 8's or one 12 for SQ build? (not for competitions)

NathanW

I think he copied that from the origional post in this thread ... LOL

I'm dumb, didn't even notice that. Now that you mention it, it DOES look quite familiar haha. It was the dudes first post, so I'm guessing troll or quote fail.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

IMo the sa-8 will do better than the 12. If you put them in a small ported enclose, they will keep their tightness for kick drums etc. Also they will get as low as want if you tune them right. Just make sure you have enough clean power to push them. Their is a young gal at our local Quick trip running 2 sa-8's in a little s-10 extended cab. It sounds awesome, and a low end monster. Flexs the shit out of that truck, while still producing a really tight sound. Also im not sure they recommend the sa-8's in a sealed enclosure. I guess you could try it, but I think you would be more than happy going ported.

truthsayer

If you are going monoblock on the substage, then what difference does it make if it is 2 8"s or 1 12 (imo)?

Cableguy has already said pretty much everything you need to know for starting on a substage, but since you've asked for opinions:

I would ditch monoblock and go with 2 8"s running Stereo. A 3 way full active setup. You could put a single sub for stuff 35hz and below later. But yeah, I would go with whatever had the best transient response with whatever enclosure/application you could do to have the flattest response (usually speakers with higher sensitivity, loose suspension, light cone materials, etc...) and that seldom translates into very loud. Seems I know someone who is doing this very thing on a proper SQ build.... hmmm. :D

12 - 12"s in the STAY PUFT 1989 Chevy Astro

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

Chevy Trailblazer 5.1 Dolby Digital DTS Install

You have a beard of a mysterious sea captain. I would follow you to hell and back.

I would go with the jbl. Those are amazing drivers. Very clean and accurate. It has plenty of xmax and would be about equal in cone area. You can create a box to model any kind of response you want really. What we are talking about here is something that is accurate with good group delay and transient response. I would put the jbl in a jbl spec sealed box and see if that doesn't give you the response you need.

2005 Ford Focus zx4

AMT's and Planars

18" Infinite baffle

Look into an image dynamics idmax12 had 2 in my 03 lancer and loved them awesome sq and good output little expensive but worth it. I used to play anything on them with total clarity and great output. And definitely go sealed way better sq.

On 3/28/2014 at 4:22 PM, KyLar96 said:

Its all about the music anyway..... Do a proper install, something your happy with, Fuck everyone else...... improve in time, where you can..... its not rocket science...

Tiburon build //www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/174059-97-hyundai-tiburon-build-from-ramming-to-slamming-slow-5k-build/

2000 Mountaineer build http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186736-2000-mountaineer-build-from-ramming-to-slamming-part-iislow-5k-builddc-audio-americanbassxspowersingerarcaudiostingershcavideo-on-pg7/

2000 Mercury Mountaineer: Electrical:Singer 360 hairpin powdercoated white alt, Big 4 double run 1/0 SHCA OFC, 4 runs 1/0 OFC SHCA, limitless 70ah, HU: Pioneer deh80prs interiors: Skar sk85.4 on sb acoustics neo dome tweeters 2 Mmats sq4100s on 4 silver flute 8s(4ohm) SUB Stage: 3 DC5K [email protected] on 6 ascendant audio mayhem 12s d1.4s fully loaded

Ok 2 8's in stereo sounds nice but I would like to avoid ported boxes. And I was just thinking about running two 8's for 35-40 up and a 12 for the very bottom octave so that could be a good option. As far as cost goes I'm not that concerned with prices, though I don't intend to spend $800-1000 on a single subwoofer driver so as much as I might love a Morel Ultimo it's just too expensive for me.

While I won't be competing I will have plenty of sound deadening and custom fiberglass and upholstery work for a very clean look.

I guess for now I'll look for 2 8's that perform well in sealed enclosures and then a suitable 2ch amp to run them. Any thoughts on the idea of trapezoidal enclosure design? Is it worth the effort or should I just do a more or less standard box?

'99 Chevy Blazer 4 door 4x4

HU: Pioneer, DEH-80PRS

Front Stage: Hybrid Audio Technologies, Legatia L3v2 and Dayton Audio Reference 7" mid-bass

Sub Stage: Hybrid Audio Technologies, Clarus C12SW-D2 in a 30hz quarterwave transmission line (plays down to 17hz!)

Amplifier: Addictive Audio 7.4+35.1

Processor: Zapco DSP-Z8

Ok the trapezoid box will be fine if built right. But not sure why you want to go a 2 channel amp set up. A good class d monoblock will be much more efficient. The two 8's will be fine and give you great punch. and go as low as you like if ported. If you go with sundown and are on a budget try the pioneer GMD-9601 amp. I'm not keen on pioneer their amps are great. for the money its hard to beat. Ive had the 9500 and 7500 for about 3 yrs and pounded them hard, without any issues. While a may not win an spl competition, my sun has takeing my truck to 3 comps for shits and giglles and won overall sound quality 3 times. 1 in OK, and 2 in Ks. anyway just my opinion, good luck in whatever you decide.

truthsayer

Personally I've had 2x 8" and 1x12

And my overpower my 12 to the point I just took it out

The the subs were the same brand and range

200rms to each 8 so 400 on the pair

And 400 to the 12

And to tune it without and epicentre or 360 or something like it is a real pain

I just wouldn't do it

Idd do a single ported 10 or 12

Or even sealed 10, 12 or 15

Idd look into the fiQ fully optioned for sealed

Or with the high qts for ported

You'll be supprized what a sealed 10 or 12 on 800+ can do

I'd like to have detailed pics of your vehicle to see what we are working with here before I gave any enclosure specifcations ...

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

Archived