SMD Folding @ Home Team

ok grabbed another screen shot, and also took a pic with my phone this time too

Here is the photobucket pic from my phone

20131118_073432_zps246654ea.jpg

Here is the screenshot pic from my pc

881598omfg2.jpg

That's awesome man, just keep the blades sharp as you pass by. haha

Fold on :drinks:

When I hear music, I fear no danger. I am invulnerable. I see no foe. I am related to the earliest times, and to the latest.
~Henry David Thoreau

I'm thinking if I do xfire I'm going to get a msi twin frozr 270 and over clock it way up and oc the 7870 up a bit.

My SPL to SQ Build Log

Vehicle:
1997 Dodge Dakota Ext Cab 4x4 2009 Dodge Journey SXT
5.2L V8 Magnum 3.5L V6
Stock Alt

Equipment:

Headunit- Alpine CDE-147BT

Mids/Highs Amp- JL Audio G6600 Class AB 6 Channel

Sub Amp- Hifonics BRZ1700.1D @ 2 Ohms Taramps DSP3000.1D

Sub- Hertz Hi Energy 12" HX300D SounDrive SDA3 12

Tweeters- Rockford Fosgate Power Series Silk Domes Hertz Hi-Energy

Mids- Dayton Audio Reference 4" Full Range Drivers 

Midbass- Silver Flute 6.5" Hertz Hi-Energy 6.5"

Processor- MiniDSP 2x4

RCA- 6 channels of SounDrive HF series

Wire- EB Flex 2/0

-Member of Team SounDrive

I still think I'd run xfire 7970's over a single 780ti. If you double the 7970 score it beats the 780ti in each chart.

And it would still be cheaper lol.

Biomedical/Behavioral Science Major, The (Self-Proclaimed) Undisputed-Homemade-Woofer-King

Super-Neodymium-Woofer Build Log: The D4BA-V.2 http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/169236-diy-super-neodymium-woofer-build-log/?p=2475620

Fucking love Alan you goddamned fucking super nerd lol

When Alan uses big words I don't understand

It's warming up enough that the donut-punching cyclist douchenozzles are getting their two wheeled fagmobiles out.

Everytime I see a guy driving a mini cooper I cant help but think he loves cock & (2/29/16)-My wife just bitched at me about throwing out things we don't really use. My response of well we don't really use your vagina so should we throw that out was evidently not the right response. I had to leave the room.

I missed Alan.

RIP 5/29/15 - I love you son.

You still get what you pay for, cheaper is not always better.

Like ive said before in this thread, almost every cpu was always amd for me, as for their cards I havent used one in a long time and their drivers just drove me nuts.

I also know there is a huge issue for crossfire users running single and triple monitor setups and their frame rates while gaming have a very little improvement over 1 card, this has been and issue for a long time now, and still is not fixed like it should be, sure it got better with in the last month, but still no where near what it should be. Nvidia wouldn't of been pussy footing around this issue for that long, it would of been fixed ASAP

So 2 amd cards in crossfire maybe faster and crunch more numbers then a single nvidia card that is brand new, and the top dog single gpu card. Congrats?

Then someone just buys a 2nd 780ti and those outdated amd cards are being whooped again :D

Sure Nvidia cards are outrageously expensive, and honestly overpriced for what your getting in return.

However people pay these prices and continue to pay them happily and honorably because it is the best of the best anytime nvidia releases a top dog card.

Part of nvidias price reasons are due to amd not being able to engineer and release a competitive card with in an average lifespan for pc hardware before it goes out of date.

Nvidia has no real competition in this market, and if amd dont step up to the plate and start getting serious in their video cards they will keep being a step behind nvidia releasing their cards new cards a year after nvidia has and still only barley being able to beat the said nvidia card. 1 years time is huge for them to come up with something bigger, better, faster, but nope they still cant do it, they are just shooting to beat nvidias 1year old outdated card by a few fps.

Perfect example is AMD's 290x that was finally released almost a year after the GTX780, and it barley beats it in gaming performance and according to anandtechs numbers the gtx780 crushes the 290x for folding.

I hate to break it, but the GTX titan was to be released over a year and a half ago as the GTX680. Thats how old that their technology is, the current 780 and Ti cards would of been released as something around 760ti and 770s.

Nvidia already has beastly cards made and bulking up in the warehouses for 2014s 800 series cards that will be released in a matter of a few months which is usually when they release new model cards, which will usually result in current cards prices being dropped except on things like the dual GPU cards like the 690s, and 790s if they even get released this year.

Again this is all due to no competition from another brand such as amd, and if AMD would step up to that plate finally, then nvidia prices will drop or lose out on consumers purchasing their cards, but until then supply and demand is a bitch, and when people are willing to pay $699-999 for that top dog card those prices wont be lowered any time soon.

The even sadder thing is that all online retailers did huge price cuts on the amd 7990 dual gpu card due to the hype that was out about the 290x being the titan killer, but it was a flop as I see it, and now 7970 prices are back up as high or higher then before there was any news of their new cards.

Whatever kind of cards you do end up buying, even if you get 2 of the old amd 7970 cards it wont bug me one bit just because I and anyone else that follows this stuff regularly that owns a 780ti knows it took you 2 cards that cost $600 to beat a $730 card

These things are all facts, not myths or opinions.

When scaling cards from 1-2, 2-3, 3-4 you dont always get a double, triple, or quadruple return on what the cards are capable of.

So if 1 card does 2000ppd, most assume you would do 4000 ppd, and a third putting you at 6000ppd, and a 4th doing 8000ppd.

Not really how it works

Your numbers will more like be 2000, 3500,4500, and that 4th card would be so low that your just wasting money at lets say 5200ppd.

Now this is how it at least works in SLI and Crossfire for regular performance in things like games, now if its the same for folding@home Im not sure since Im new to this.

But even if it does double, triple ppd it still dont matter unless you are just using that computer strictly for Folding, and you dont plan to any web browsing, editing, gaming because for those uses you will be spending extra money for little return on said performance, since your biggest gain of performance to dollar is going from 1 card to 2 cards, after that its getting questionable on if the money is worth the improvement for gaming. Unlessss you just dont care and want to be spending money just to have 4 cards for bragging rights, but if thats the case why buy out dated card that are not even the best in the series.

lol wow.

tl;dr

I see you said you could get 2 780ti's and be doing better, but that defeats my whole purpose of price. I never said that they were better than nVidia in general, I just meant for folding power ALONE I would go with xfire 7970's because it would be cheaper and THEORETICALLY better.

Biomedical/Behavioral Science Major, The (Self-Proclaimed) Undisputed-Homemade-Woofer-King

Super-Neodymium-Woofer Build Log: The D4BA-V.2 http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/169236-diy-super-neodymium-woofer-build-log/?p=2475620

It's warming up enough that the donut-punching cyclist douchenozzles are getting their two wheeled fagmobiles out.

Everytime I see a guy driving a mini cooper I cant help but think he loves cock & (2/29/16)-My wife just bitched at me about throwing out things we don't really use. My response of well we don't really use your vagina so should we throw that out was evidently not the right response. I had to leave the room.

I missed Alan.

Its only showing your lack of reason but thats not my problem.

I guess my point is old technology is just that old technology.

so 2 older amd cards in crossfire maybe slightly faster now, but what about in 2 weeks from now, a month or even a year from now.

If you spend $600 on cards now, and in a year your still folding, but your cards are not doing half the numbers they once did when you got them now what?

I sure know you are not going to buy 2 semi newer cards again, or even 1 beastly card since "that would defeat the purpose of price".

As the future of technology progresses for video cards, Folding @ Home will also, making it more of a strain on your system each and every time so the work units are using the hardware to the fullest to get the best use of the program and what its about.

Another perfect example is BitMining, it hasn't been around for to long, compared to Folding @ Home, and in that short time its been around what use to be able to be done on a typical gaming machine can no longer be done even if you just bought the newest gaming computer. Your return on the bitcoins would be so little you would never recoup your cost you just spent on that mining only pc, let alone recover the energy costs said computer is using. Thats talking current up to date computer parts. Many people spent thousands of dollars on special bitmining machines on preorder 6+ months ago and are still waiting for them, and if they dont get them soon they wasted all that money a dinosaur.

But again its your money, and id at least like to know that the money spent will keep you somewhat current for a decent time period.

So we made 409k points with 42 work units finished yesterday!

The day before we did 47 work units and only made 290k points.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

Bro, you're over analyzing this.

Lol, my lack of reason? Not really, but you can call it what you want. Not my problem.

And you're only proving my point for me, this is all about perspective. You literally admit that in a short time, the next best thing will be out, why would I blast huge money on brand new cards that will be outperformed in no time? My intention wasn't to say, you buying expensive cards is wrong, or anything like that, it's your money and your choice. If that what you want to do, then that's cool, more power to ya. But the fact is that these cards don't become obsolete lol, they might not be quite as fast, but they're not shabby by any means, it's still lasting performance for a fair price.

I simply said that for me, in order to justify by my own logic, spending $600 on 2 slightly "older" yet very good cards would usually be more appealing than smashing $700+ on a brand new card. That way I'm not disappointed when something else beats me, because I won't expect to be performing quite as high as what cards twice as expensive will be doing, but it's not like I would be struggling to get by lol, and that's fine by me.

I missed Alan.

So we made 409k points with 42 work units finished yesterday!

The day before we did 47 work units and only made 290k points.

Yeah that's awesome, 100k shy of a half a mil in one day

Also, we reached 4mil today! Which is amazing being that we reached 3mil 2 days ago :drinks:

4mil-SMD_zps82a7dcfc.jpg

When I hear music, I fear no danger. I am invulnerable. I see no foe. I am related to the earliest times, and to the latest.
~Henry David Thoreau

my equipment is slightly dated, but ill join in. At some point when funds are available, I am going to be building my sons each their own desktop, so I can add their computers as well later on.

Archived