Has anyone ever installed an engine pre-heater?

Done some poking around. Seems like this little guy actually gets hot enough to open the thermostat on the engine. Would be pretty awesome to have. No wasting gas waiting for the car to warm up / defrost the windows. Less of the subaru piston slap (normal... still gets on my nerves though).

I guess... My question is: HOW does this get installed? If it's between the engine and radiator wouldn't the thermostat be closed, blocking the coolant flow?

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200339137_200339137

Hmm so that's what it is. I've got an engine block heater i think. Is this what it is? Awesome to have in winter. My dad backed away with it plugged in tho and broke the wire.. :/

My SPL to SQ Build Log

Vehicle:
1997 Dodge Dakota Ext Cab 4x4 2009 Dodge Journey SXT
5.2L V8 Magnum 3.5L V6
Stock Alt

Equipment:

Headunit- Alpine CDE-147BT

Mids/Highs Amp- JL Audio G6600 Class AB 6 Channel

Sub Amp- Hifonics BRZ1700.1D @ 2 Ohms Taramps DSP3000.1D

Sub- Hertz Hi Energy 12" HX300D SounDrive SDA3 12

Tweeters- Rockford Fosgate Power Series Silk Domes Hertz Hi-Energy

Mids- Dayton Audio Reference 4" Full Range Drivers 

Midbass- Silver Flute 6.5" Hertz Hi-Energy 6.5"

Processor- MiniDSP 2x4

RCA- 6 channels of SounDrive HF series

Wire- EB Flex 2/0

-Member of Team SounDrive

looks like you install it inline with a heater core hose to me. It can ciculate the water there easy enough, then once the thermostat opens the rest of the system will get circulated

also, notice what this guy says about it. Not sure if that is true or not.

he block heater is an easy installation, with all the parts you need for using the block drain plug as your 'cold' water inlet. You will need a separate 'T' fitting (the size of your lower radiator hose with a 3/4" nipple that goes to the block heater) if you use the lower radiator hose for your 'cold' water inlet. The most difficult part of the installation is finding a place low enough on the vehicle to mount the heater that is lower than the drain plug or heater hose, as the heater warms the block using convection currents not an actual pump. I had to mount the heater to the frame inside the wheel well on my 1991 Ford E350 van. The instruction illustrations that come with the heater aren't large enough to show much detail, so look closely before you get started. Make sure that your 'Y' adapter is angled toward the water pump or you won't have any heat in your vehicle. Since its' installation, the 7.3 liter diesel has started with ease and the front and rear heat are ready immediately. A good block heater at a good price."

edit:

down in the QA section they state it has no actual pump, it works like a coffee maker. So what it says above is true

Adding in a pump of somesort would be pretty straight forward. Hmm.....

My question is would it be worth using considering the cost of electricity all night vs gas in the morning?

'01 Dodge Stratass Sealed Trunk Build Log
2008 Honda Fit Sport Build Log

On 10/3/2013 at 10:00 AM, ROLEXrifleman said:

Anyone who says they knew everything they wanted out of life at 19 can go suck a bag of dicks cause they are lying to themselves or brought up in a cult.

I live in southern NM we don't need no stinking block heaters!

Thats cool. Im way too old to be upset by shit like that. Your name is winston. Your own parents hated you even before you were born.

My penis is bigger than your penis

I'm far from loud and my roof/headliner flaps around like Adam's ass on a windy day. I think it depends more on the structure of the vehicle.

Warm coolant. .... so what you still have cold oil. Yes the block being warm around the coolant passages will help some but you still have to get the oil you to temp. Check with your subie dealer I bet they offer an oem heater.

2012 Toyota 4Runner Trail Edition-Singer 240A Alt, Odyssey Battery,Pioneer AVH-2550NEX head-unit, Pioneer GM-DX874 powering Kicker CSS67 front-CSC5 rear, and Memphis PR 1.1000 powering 12in SSA ICON in G.P. ported box.

2003 Tahoe-320A Alt, Odyssey Batt,2 Resilient Sounds Gold 15's sealed powered by Crescendo BC2000D, Turbulent Designs Ported box AVH601EX head unit and Pioneer 3ways in all doors.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived