Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

Calculating port area with xmax?


shanesauce

Recommended Posts

Posted

A single 8" is almost always horrendous to put in a vented enclosure for car audio. You want to keep internal volume down so that it can keep up mechanically with what kind of electrical power it can take.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

Posted

I am glad to see a few more people here trying to educate people on this subject correctly. I have preached on it for YEARS!!!

I remember one of the first times I said something about it - there was a thread titled "car audio myths that drive you crazy". I posted "port area is determined by box volume". Man I got ripped apart.

Current system:

1997 Blazer - (4) Customer Fi NEO subs with (8) American Bass Elite 2800.1s

Previous systems:

2000 Suburban - (4) BTL 15's and (4) IA 40.1's = 157.7 dB at 37 Hz.

1992 Astro Van - (6) BTL 15's and (6) IA 40.1's = 159.7 dB at 43 Hz.

Posted

I am glad to see a few more people here trying to educate people on this subject correctly. I have preached on it for YEARS!!!

I remember one of the first times I said something about it - there was a thread titled "car audio myths that drive you crazy". I posted "port area is determined by box volume". Man I got ripped apart.

You're the reason I ever looked into it. I thank you for going through it all.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

Posted

The amount of port a sub actually needs compared to the.general rule of thumb is crazy. Makes it a lot harder to use round Ports.

Thank you for the info, trying to figure it all out.

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.

Posted

Im new to this forum and this seems like it would make a huge difference in a build, which im fixing to start one, could someone give me the port area and length of an aq hdc4 in 7cube box tuned to 30hz using this method id love to test it out

Posted

Im new to this forum and this seems like it would make a huge difference in a build, which im fixing to start one, could someone give me the port area and length of an aq hdc4 in 7cube box tuned to 30hz using this method id love to test it out

You didn't mention the size of the sub :(

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 3018 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...