Second Skin Audio

best cheap subs.... best cheap high excursion sub?

exxxtrem

So here is what I see going on in this thread:

OP coming to a forum he expects to be supportive and helpful, and instead, receiving half positive and half negative. Having been a forum member for a little while, I KNOW the personalities of just about everyone who has posted in this thread.

Exxxtem I can tell you this, some of these guys are normally MUCH more aggressive when a guy comes in asking the questions that you are asking and kind of taking the stance that you are taking. Guys like Kranny are truly trying to help you and I'd you know anything about him he's been known to be pretty harsh on noobs. He had NOT been harsh with you however he's been helpful. So most guys are truly trying to trying to point you in the correct direction. Disregard the straight up unhelpful replies and just ignore them. You're a grown man and surely you've seem negativity before and know how to deal with it. I realize you're within the same age range as myself and when given some of the advice you may feel as though it is a lecture. I've seen a couple of pretty defensive comments where you were offended by other members comments and their lack of knowledge alloy what kind of skills you have.

I too, do not know your skills but I will give the best advice I can to a guy who clearly cares about car audio. You mentioned how you could find the YouTube video if the guy who had 8 12s in the trunk of a Grand Am. That's because the build never happened. He ended up failing and went with a lower number of subs. I believe he even made a box that wouldn't fit and had to change his plan. He did ask of this against the advice of many who had personal experience with the specific car. He wanted to do it because he thought it was unique and hasn't seen it done. So the reason you see members responding to you in the same manner is because they assume they've got another dreamer that asks for advice, didn't take it, only to have that member disappear forever from the forum because they failed. I don't believe this is at ALL the case with you from reading your comments.

Here is my take on your current situation:

You started with a budget and a goal to use cheap equipment. I personally say go for it. You already have the equipment and you might as well install it. You have done a lot of work already to make this work and I'm sure you'll follow through. If after everything is installed and you are unhappy, make changes at that point. What makes you happy and what would make others happy could be completely different things.

Take your time and do it right, again, this seems like something that your going to do anyway and that you want done right and I believe you will put out a finished product.

It doesn't matter what others run for equipment and what you run, as long as you are happy with your choice and the outcome. They suggest what they suggest because they know it's capable, vs the horror stories that they have either experienced themselves or heard about. Most of us have done cheap equipment at some point and have moved on after our first system or two, in the direction of fairly priced quality gear.

I would be happy to help with any questions you have along the way, and would be happy to give any input you may want/need. I hope to SEE this build and hope you don't get discouraged. PM me or post in this thread if there is anything more you've thought about and want input.

Have a nice day :)

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

Thank you all that have been helpful, It started as a cheap build, 2 12s ended up being 4 and into 6. As I realize im turning it into a bigger and bigger project (as i always do) its not worth all my time and effort building this crazy box for $35 subs and cheap ass amps. Thats when I started researching what is out there and asking what you guys have seen and work well. If I havent acknowledged everyone's its just because im normally at work but I have looked up everyone suggestions and given them a look. (even shark audio that I found was a joke) Car audio has always been my number 1 hobbie. Ive talked about my tahoe. I have a wakeboard boat with 4 kicker tower speakers, 8 6 1/2 coaxials, and 3 kicker shallow mount 12s and the boat looks completly stock. 3 kicker amps. Im off my kicker kick. Im ready to try something new and exciting. Im excited to build a crazy system. If I start building this box and cant make it work I have no issues scrapping the project and changing it up (with that said so far ive never failed a project. Before I ordeded the 2 extra 12s to make it 6 I measured my trunk for about 2 hours verifiying all the numbers. Ive listened to your recomendations to do 18s. Ive had many 18s before and have always wanted to do 12s. This will be my first car for myself with 12s besides my boat. All my systems have been 15s and 18s. Seems like everyone agrees soundqubed is the best sub for the money that will give me real results, and I will also compare the 3 amps recommended and see which is the best bang for the buck. The comment about I shouldnt cut out my rear deck, the super cheap flimsy stamped sheet metal will be replaced with solid metal saports bracing that area. With all that said I think with this post we have found 2 things. Hifonics hfx12d4 are the best bang for the buck, soundqubed is the best affordable sub. No need to ever ask that question again. Amps cheap shit will work so pow planet and bla bla bla you can spend 150 now but when you have to spend 150 next year shoulda just bought the quality for 350$ crescendo/ ct/ soundqubed. If anyone has any question feel free to holler at me. Ordered my dd1 last week, fun for a reference. I do still like my osilliscope more but cool toy. Will prob look into the crossover tool next.

I was thinking AB Tnts or Re SEs were going to be talked about in this thread and then I saw this is about hifonics HFI subs? I would go as far to say their Olympus subs were garbage back in the day. What makes them good now?

2004 Grand Prix GT

(2) 12" RE XXXs (04/05 XBL^2)

5 cu. ft tuned @ 35 Hz

MMATS HD4000.05

MMATS SQ4100

Infinity Kappa components

Juice Box black cherry

Duralast platinum group 34

1/0 KNU OFC, 2/0 welding

Singer 250A

Hey check out the RE Audio amps cheaper and can put out some power. Check out the ZTX5000.1. May interest you. They used to be made in the USA but now in Korea. I bought a ZTX5000.1. But will be replacing it when Orion comes out with the new HCCA line. It can really put out the wattage.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/garage/vehicle/2438-jeep-commander/

th_140x100square.jpgMechman_140x100px.JPGDCHome.jpgI

image_url-76414-1423274612_thumb.jpgimage_url-76414-1423320284_thumb.jpg

Pioneer P99RS
Ampere 3800
2-Ampere 125/4
4-6.5 inch Hertz HSK XL Mids
4-8 inch JL Audio ZR Midwoofer

2-5.25 Satori Mids
2-Morel Tweeters, 2 Hertz Milles 3 inch on A pillars
2-Hertz Silk tweeters
DC Audio Level 5/12
Skyhigh Wire
Mechman 320
XS Power D3100

MO Funniest Thread of the Year 2013: http://www.stevemead...dy-being-a-pos/

I love orion. had a horrible experiance with them though. Had a convertable trans am. Orion guy said the hcca 12 s could fit in a 1cu ft box with a crazy long port. Took a week building a bad ass box. Built a tunnel forward under the convertable top under the back seat and out the bottom of the seat to keep the bass in the car even with the top down. Called orion aka directed and talked to there techs and they said yea yea yea 1cu ft box good. I bought 2 hcca12 and 2 hcca 2500 amps. Long story short blew the subs in less than a minute. I knew a guy that was sponcered my orion. Went to ask him and he had a big smile on his face and said you tried the 1cu ft box didnt you. I said yea.... he said he tried 10 of those boxes 10 different ways and every time blew subs instantly. I lost a lot of respect for orion when there tech support doesnt know there product. Directed killed that company. Awesome products though.

So I prob did 100 hrs of research before I decided the best cheap sub is..

Hifonics hfx12d4 35$ (black sub chome hf)

So im glad you have nice equipment in your car. I have 3 zx2500 6 15l7 4 850.4 12 dx6.5 and 4 alternators on my tahoe. Im glad to see you love the same hobby as me. Before knocking building a affordable system read that im doing it for fun to build it as a cheap system. If this car breaks down its all getting ripped out and car junked. With that said its a 03 cavalier... not horrible just not a car id brag about. But will enjoy it being a sleeper looking like a typical 2 12s car.

Now_thats_what_I_call_a_cool_story_bro.g

almost made me get a seizure

Orion has been around the block with owners it seems. If I am not right correct me but the HCCA should be in a 2. to 2.5 box. MD Audio out of Brazil owns them now out of Florida. They also own Lanzar. Not like when they were in Tempe though.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/garage/vehicle/2438-jeep-commander/

th_140x100square.jpgMechman_140x100px.JPGDCHome.jpgI

image_url-76414-1423274612_thumb.jpgimage_url-76414-1423320284_thumb.jpg

Pioneer P99RS
Ampere 3800
2-Ampere 125/4
4-6.5 inch Hertz HSK XL Mids
4-8 inch JL Audio ZR Midwoofer

2-5.25 Satori Mids
2-Morel Tweeters, 2 Hertz Milles 3 inch on A pillars
2-Hertz Silk tweeters
DC Audio Level 5/12
Skyhigh Wire
Mechman 320
XS Power D3100

MO Funniest Thread of the Year 2013: http://www.stevemead...dy-being-a-pos/

I havent kept up with them since that incident. Put a bad taste in my mouth. Yes they like a large box. Luckly my buddie at the time was sponcerd and he swapped out the subs for me. My did yesterday make the comment that dad if kickers are your favorite why are you looking at other subs... I said really orions are my favorite but I dnt wanna spend the money.

HCCA = House payments

So are re amps the best affordable amps? Lets hear the sugestions guys.

1) re audio?

2)

3)soundqubed?

4)

5)

CT Sounds amps ate killer for price, email them for prices or talk to bbeljefe on here he will get you a real price on them. Soundqubed is good too, never ran RE amps but when I was steered to CT Sounds over RE I was happy, price is right and power output is great! Hope to see a build log soon man I wanna see how it comes out!

Archived