Anyone with cap bank install?

I have a question.

You wire them in series to achieve a voltage of 15v. Now if you alt only charges to, lets say, 14.3. Will any harm come to these?

I know that batteries don't care to be charged under 13.5v

No not at all. It's actually a bit easier on them to be charged lower.

My bank is good to 18.9v and I'm only charging them at 16.2

I have a question.

You wire them in series to achieve a voltage of 15v. Now if you alt only charges to, lets say, 14.3. Will any harm come to these?

I know that batteries don't care to be charged under 13.5v

No not at all. It's actually a bit easier on them to be charged lower.

My bank is good to 18.9v and I'm only charging them at 16.2

Cool. I was hoping that they wouldn't have to be charged to their full potential.

'01 Dodge Stratass Sealed Trunk Build Log
2008 Honda Fit Sport Build Log

On 10/3/2013 at 10:00 AM, ROLEXrifleman said:

Anyone who says they knew everything they wanted out of life at 19 can go suck a bag of dicks cause they are lying to themselves or brought up in a cult.

These are the ones I use now. I friggin love these modules. No more little busses and exposed terminals. Expensive as shit though. I run (5) of these in my CRX and I can wang out running an 8K all day and stay at like 14v.

(the smaller flat one in the pic)

maxwell_supercapacitor_mc2600_series_260

I don't understand these. I figure it would work better because I could his it under my false floor but I don't know how to tell which would work for me

All it is is 6 caps wired in series, put in a nice case, with a balancing circuit. Makes things really easy

Supercaps that we would use in audio typically come in either 2.5v or 2.7v ratings. And these aren't what they need to be charged at -- it's the absolute MAXIMUM voltage they can see. Any higher and you'll fry/explode them :ehh:

To get the voltage you need, wire them in series. Now the trade off is for every extra capacitor you add in the string, your capacitance is decreased. Example: You have 7, 2.5v 2000 farad capacitors wired in series.

Your maximum bank voltage is 2.5v*7=17.5v. Anything below that is perfectly OK and TBH the lower you are under the max voltage, the less aggressive balancing circuit you need.

Your capacitance in farads will be 2000F/7caps = 286F.

All a balancing circuit does it keep the capacitors roughly around the same voltage as one another. That way one of them doesn't get overcharged. Easiest way to go about that is some resistors

If you want it easy just get one of these. Used is cheaper.

You'll pay more for it but it takes the guess work out of it. Like with anything "custom" you'll need a bit of education before you go diving into it. Think like building your first ported box

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Maxwell-Technologies/BMOD0500-P016-B01/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMuDCPMZUZ%252bYl1%2f%2f0aiL7qGyNlANlKFOF%252bI%3d

Archived