Anyone with cap bank install?

How does this work? Can anyone show me how they are wired? Also where there being bought from.

*Hummer H3*

HeadUnit

Pioneer AVH-X4600BT

Mids and Highs

8-CT Sounds Pro 8" 8ohm

4-CT Sounds Pro Tweeters

Amplifiers

1-CT Sounds 125.4

1-CT Sounds 60.4

1-CT Sounds 7000.1

Electrical

3-Runs of 1/0 CT Sounds

8-XS Power D3100

3-Iraggi 300 amp Alternators

Subwoofers

4-SQ Hdc3 15" Subwoofers

(Soon to be 4 15" Ct Sounds EXO)

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12 - 12"s in the STAY PUFT 1989 Chevy Astro

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

Chevy Trailblazer 5.1 Dolby Digital DTS Install

You have a beard of a mysterious sea captain. I would follow you to hell and back.

Snowdrifter can you please chime in sir.

*Hummer H3*

HeadUnit

Pioneer AVH-X4600BT

Mids and Highs

8-CT Sounds Pro 8" 8ohm

4-CT Sounds Pro Tweeters

Amplifiers

1-CT Sounds 125.4

1-CT Sounds 60.4

1-CT Sounds 7000.1

Electrical

3-Runs of 1/0 CT Sounds

8-XS Power D3100

3-Iraggi 300 amp Alternators

Subwoofers

4-SQ Hdc3 15" Subwoofers

(Soon to be 4 15" Ct Sounds EXO)

The caps that are becoming popular are Maxwell "supercaps" or "ultracaps" or sometimes called "boostercaps". The two most popular flavors are 2.5v/2600F (black ones) and 2.7v/3000F (blue ones).

Because the single cells are 2.5 or 2.7v, you have to series them together to get to our operating voltages. You can series (6) of the black ones to 15v or (6) of the blue ones to 16.2v. Once you've series'd them, you're left with (2) empty terminals and they're hooked up just like a batt. + and -.

When you series, you gain operating voltage but lose capacity. A series'd bank of (6) black ones is 15v but now "only" 433F. Which is still a shit ton.

Everyone *was* getting them from eBay at a decent price, but the supply has dried up some and prices have doubled.

Here is a few pics of my banks. You can see the little buss bars I made to series them into banks.

23F4FD14-C83C-437B-9574-9212F9210C24-224

Blue ones.

bluecap_zps6060f275.jpg

These are banks of (7) black ones. This will get you 17.5v, but less capacity than banks of (6).

6ac19da7.jpg

I have an ~850 farad cap bank. You know how with voltage drop it's kind of all or nothing? Either you are holding 14v+ (or whatever your alt charges at) or you drop to 13v or lower.

Capacitors store energy. Not in the same way batteries do though. Batteries create energy though a chemical reaction - of which only takes place below the batteries "resting voltage". Capacitors store a difference in electrons - think like static electricity. This means they can absorb/release power at ANY voltage.

So in between your alternator's charging voltage and your battery's voltage potential (13v and below) - this is where caps shine. They basically act like a giant stabilizer. It cushions your drops, absorbs your peaks. I have a video of them which I'll post below. Been meaning to get a second one with the VM-1

WP_000467_zps482f5a76.jpg

WP_000468_zps4de19298.jpg

I have a question.

You wire them in series to achieve a voltage of 15v. Now if you alt only charges to, lets say, 14.3. Will any harm come to these?

I know that batteries don't care to be charged under 13.5v

'01 Dodge Stratass Sealed Trunk Build Log
2008 Honda Fit Sport Build Log

On 10/3/2013 at 10:00 AM, ROLEXrifleman said:

Anyone who says they knew everything they wanted out of life at 19 can go suck a bag of dicks cause they are lying to themselves or brought up in a cult.

Archived