Sonus Matter and Fit Kit Review

kingsuv

Ray and the guys over at Sonus sent me a couple of products to try out and review. Of course no sooner did it come in, I had nothing come in to use what received. Nothing worse then have a new tool and nothing to use it on.

this weekend I purchased a new ice chest for my motorhome. The last one shared the same compartment as the single 10 sub box I had. It was nothing fancy, just a prefab box. The reason was, its a camping box, so if it gets destroyed over time, it wouldn't hurt my feelings. Unfortunately the new cooler doesn't fit where my old one was so I had to rearrange everything

Since I had to redesign a simple box to go behind the cooler and not next to it, It was a perfect time to try out my new tools.

IMG-20131003-01983_zpsb9c1924c.jpg

No project is complete without a couple beers and a cigar or 2

I use quite a bit of filler. Mostly because my framework skills to stretch fiberglass isn't always the best. I use to be a hardcore Bondo guy. It's all I ever used because it was all I ever knew. Once I was turned on to the Evercoat brand it was like a weight lifted. No longer was I hesitant to try out a new product because of all the sanding I had to do. Anyone who has used Bondo will tell you that if you don't catch it while it is green, you will be sanding concrete. After I had a few dozen cans of Evercoat in the books, I was turned on to the Smart brand filler. I was told by the supply shop I order from that Smart is made by Evercoat and is their "industrial" brand name. If not the same company they are at least made in the same factory. ;) Other than being a little bit cheaper, the products are VERY similar. Also recently I was asked to try out a can of Dynalite light filler as an alternative to the smart brand I was using.

IMG-20130912-01889_zpsfe1fd281.jpg

The Evercoat / Smart brand is for the most part a pinhole free light weight filler. Heavy build up coats can create a sag which hasn't been too much of a concern because of its sandability. When green it's cheesegrater type sanding is nice for shaping. Once cured, it sands nice and easy and leaves a fine dust as you go. The product is consistent between layers and easily blends to fill in low spots. You will get a few pinholes here and there. I tend to get pinholes in the toughest part of the build.

IMG-20130913-01890_zpsc1625b55.jpg

The Dynalite brand mixes up much the same as the Smart brand. it's light and easy to mix. The main difference is the layup. The product tends to get a wet soup feel to it. Has very little build up abilities to it. If you are looking to curve up to an insert, don't. The sag is just way to much to use as a build up product. Cutting it when green isn't as smooth as the smart, and once cured has a bondo type concrete sand to it. it is also a sandpaper killer. It clogs like no ones business.

IMG-20131117-02124_zps1a39c753.jpg

Now for the Sonus Matter. First off the thing I notice most in any filler is how heavy the can is. The bondo feels like a lead filled can and works much the same. The Matter can is nice and light. Upon opening it and giving it a good stir, it's hard to put into words its texture. it's almost like stirring up cool whip. maybe a tad thicker, but nowhere near the peanut butter consistency I was use too. It is truly unlike any other product mix I have used.

IMG-20131117-02125_zpsdcb7ba21.jpg

With the first coat going down, I immediately noticed that once you layed it down, it stayed put. There was no going back to correct sag spots. Also it's workability time is consistent. I ran 2 batches to cover around my work piece instead of one big batch. I wasn't sure of how it would cook off but after the 1st batch I know I could have done the whole work in one run.

IMG-20131117-02126_zps64d8965a.jpg

I only knocked down a couple spots while it was green. It crumbles off very nicely and doesn't clog the sandpaper. This is a nice feature as other products clump and stick to the pads. I also noticed there was NO sag. None. Also even with as light as this stuff mixes up there are no pinholes to fill.

IMG-20131117-02127_zpsb5950664.jpg

Had I ran a tall build up around my insert, I could have easily gotten away with one pass. as it was my 2nd pass was a very thin skim coat. Because there was no sag and no pin holes, there was no need to reshape the work and make another build up run. So right off the bat I have already saved time and material by cutting out an extra build up step. Once cured, it sands VERY nicely. it won't take a ton of work to smooth off and cover. It sands out to a very fine dust that won't clog your paper. Surprisingly its very solid. once I separated my insert, I noticed my sharp top edge wasn't easy to snap off like other filler. The Matter is very strong. Also a great time saver for those Oh crap moments.

Price wise, from the other brands I have purchased to the Matter, they are within a couple bucks. Depending on your local supplier, the matter can be a better deal price wise. I have seen a few shops charge on the it's "gold" prices. Once you factor in the extra coats you no longer have to do and it's workability time, you save money in less product used. You also save in time wasted sanding and in paper. If you hate to sand, which most do, then within the first can you will be sold on it being the only product you use.

The next step was to pop the insert and get busy with the fit kit.

1004697_663230460383387_1121784715_n_zps

These little guys take the extra step of adding 2 sided foam to the edge of your work piece so you can wrap them. Typically you would add a layer of foam tape to the edge to create a gap between the filler and the insert. With the fitbit, all I did was add a tape edge so the filler wouldn't stick to the wood and filled right up to the insert.

Once everything is dry and sanded, simply pop the insert. grab your reducer bit and give it a pass for every layer of cover material you are using.

IMG-20131117-02128_zps3664f282.jpg

In my case I was going to do a vinyl to carpet insert. So I did 3 runs to take off enough material for a snug fit. The real beauty of the Fit kit is, if you take off too much, You simply run a new template with the over bit and add back in that little bit too much you took off. Coming from this idiot, it's idiot proof.

IMG-20131117-02129_zps4d49970f.jpg

And here is the finished project. It's nothing fancy as it will be hidden behind my cooler for the rest of it's life.

1463471_663279660378467_1408450169_n_zps

IMG-20131117-02130_zps9494dd1f.jpg

If you are looking to add some really nice detail and you want to step up you finish skills, these 2 products will take you to the next level quickly and easily. Also be assured the boys over at Sonus are always more then willing to help you become a better installer even if it's only out of the back of your shop like me.

Links to unauthorized outside websites/business FB pages not allowed.

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

Basically when you do a filler buildup to the insert, you need a gap when finished so the material you are wrapping (suede, vinyl, carpet ) has space to tuck under. If you didn't create a gap, when you covered the 2 sections, the added material would make the insert too tight to fit back in.

One way to do it is to use foam tape around the edge to create a spacing between the filler and insert. That tape can be a pain to wrap around the edge and is also expensive for the product that works.

The fitbit takes the foam step out. tape it off. Filler right up to the wood. Pull the insert and the bit will shave off the amount needed to create the gap for the cover material.

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

Oh gotcha, so its a custom router bit essentially? Could definitely see that being useful in other situations too if you just want to shrink a piece down for a better fit if your template was a bit off or something too.

Team NorthWestSPL

Exactly. It can also be used to bridge the gap between rabbit bit sizes. Sometimes ya just need a tick mo or less. and those are the bits to do it. Plus being 1/2 shank, they are stout and will last you a good long time.

I must be missing something or there is a pic missing from the OP. All I see is what looks to be a basic flush trim bit.

On the tape note, its does get expensive buying all the tape. I havent had any issues applying it though. Could also just use a 1/16" or 1/8" rabbeting bit, then use a flush trim bit to remove the remaining and do same thing as the tape.

The bit is stepped out a bit, can you see it? I thought the sake thing but I looked closer Rell

Great review by the way. Looks like everyone is happy with the stuff so far. I wonder when and if Steve is going to get a batch to try it out

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

It is a rabbet bit.. takes off .030

Using a 1/8th" rabbet will leave the insert loose.

This allows the parts to snap together

Im very interested in trying the mass and matter products myself for a long time now (same can be said for the SMD SunFlash too)!!

Hell I was very interested in the bits too, but I cant see spending $250 on 2 bits. The little bit they would usually get used would take forever to recoup my costs, the price of the bits could get me another router and save more time by switching routers instead of switching bits at this point. Or id need to find a bunch of people looking for custom things to get my use out of the bits.

So for now the good ol double sided 3m tape method, masking, and or electrical tape method will have to continue to work for me. :(

Archived