Second Skin Audio

Resin the inside of my Enclosure?

RiottStarr

definitely would. The strength and making it airtight are definitely worth it. I don't think it actually smells that bad

750??! Yeah, fuck that. Fuck this website, fuck SMD, fuck Steve, fuck all of his butt buddy mods, and their couches.

^ DON'T BE A DICK LIKE THIS GUY :)

Team Subsonic Lows

I had a box that I got from a local shop that was coated completely on the inside, real strong box but any time it got warm in the summer all I could smell was resin. I was like 3rd owner of this box so it had plenty of time to cure. Could have been a bad mix of resin too tho

04 dodge dakota ext cab 4x4

excessive amperage 300 amp alt with MONSTER stud =)sundown z v3 15 in a 4th order on aq2200sundown 100.4 2 way active...2 Prv audio 6mb200 & 2 re XXX tweetersdeka intimidatorkenwood x396big 3 1/0 knu wire back to deka intimidator

Is it a good idea to cover the inside with resin?

I have, I did, and I will again in the future. $.02

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

so the way i've seen it is that the reason you cover the inside with just resign is to help improve airflow cause it'll make the sides smoother. but if you sand it with a heavy grit afterwords doesn't that defeat the purpose? and if so, then what grit sandpaper should you end on when resigning the inside of your box?

I think you have a bit of truck stuck in your mud bro

~Ford Ranger, ext cab
Kenwood DDX470
1/0ga stinger wiring for big 3
1/0ga ofc flextech wiring

3 kinetik 800's

AQ2200 @1ohm

Sundown Audio X15

in a 27Hz tuned ported box

LE BUILD LOG!!!

I never knew so many people had trouble mixing resin properly lol. I put three gallons inside the shell of my wall and the smell was gone within a couple days. If the smell comes back with heat later on it means things never setup right to begin with.

Revoracing247: like with any sanding procedure. Start with a heavy grit to bring down high spots and progress finer. I've finished the inside of a box with 1000 grit before. It was overkill but oh so smooth! Haha usually I call it good around 600

Team NorthWestSPL

I never knew so many people had trouble mixing resin properly lol. I put three gallons inside the shell of my wall and the smell was gone within a couple days. If the smell comes back with heat later on it means things never setup right to begin with.

Revoracing247: like with any sanding procedure. Start with a heavy grit to bring down high spots and progress finer. I've finished the inside of a box with 1000 grit before. It was overkill but oh so smooth! Haha usually I call it good around 600

I really think the guys before me didn't know how to resin.

04 dodge dakota ext cab 4x4

excessive amperage 300 amp alt with MONSTER stud =)sundown z v3 15 in a 4th order on aq2200sundown 100.4 2 way active...2 Prv audio 6mb200 & 2 re XXX tweetersdeka intimidatorkenwood x396big 3 1/0 knu wire back to deka intimidator

Does Sunflash have less smell than typical resin? Yes, I have used it first hand, even prior to full cure there is still much less a smell, but you still want to allow time for the fumes to air out of the box before installing.

Does resin alone add strength? No, well maybe a small fraction but nothing worth mentioning.

Does resin and fiberglass add strength? Yes, definitely but if you are looking to strengthen your box you are better off to include bracing from one wall to another. Be sure to account for air volume that is used in your design process.

Does resin waterproof? Yes. And this would be honestly the only reason I would apply any, unless as stated previously, you are chasing tenths, then its time to bust out the meter and do some testing and see in your application if it is valuable or not.

-Mark

Host of "CarAudioFabrication" - YouTube Car Audio Tutorial Channel

Forum.png

Check out my forum section here on SMD for my builds and tutorial videos!

Subscribe on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/CarAudioFabrication

Archived