Are wire lugs & fuses electrical bottlenecks?

That is what a good crimp looks like

you used to small of a die, but it works i guess.

the next size up doesn't make a good crimp

2002 Honda CR-V
Alpine 9887

My Build

Rebuilding...

Second Skin Damp
4 DC XL 15's
2 DC 5ks
Singer 320 amp
6 cap banks
Sky High wire
2 VM-1's
OM-1

all under window line

Team DC Audio

Obama has a law he's trying to pass right now, trying to ban Leo for being a threat to children everywhere.

EDIT: Not in a JP kind of way.

I thought I was going to die from all the jizz filling my ears.

That is what a good crimp looks like

you used to small of a die, but it works i guess.

the next size up doesn't make a good crimp

yeah, i bought a crimper, had metric dies so i had to do that with the 8ga ones. Wasn't trying to flame you, that crimp is fine.

Combining different metals will cause a voltage drop, small, but a voltage drop. This is normal and is how thermocouples function as an example.

Fuses are thermal devices and will also cause a voltage drop, again small, but there nonetheless.

When done properly there will be inherent voltage drops, but they should not affect a properly designed system.

Those drawbacks are worth the safety and convenience factors.

As stated above, bad connections can cause massive voltage drops and resistance/heat issues which can even cause fires.

Those instances though should not be blamed on the crimps and fuses themselves but user error.

This post sent with 100% recycled electrons.
2004 BMW M3
Mechman 280A
2 - XS Power XP3000

1 - XS Power D375

500F of Maxwell SuperCaps (soon to be 1000F)
iPadMini2

Dash mounted O-scope
Audison bitOne (Remote DRC MP)
Highs Amp - PPI Art A404
Hertz HSK130 (HSK165 waiting...)
DC Audio DC9.0K
2- DC Audio XL12m2

LEGAL             - 147.3dB @ 41Hz
OUTLAW         - 150.2dB @ 45Hz

OUTLAW         - 145.7dB @ 30Hz
JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER

2014 COLORADO PEOPLE'S CHOICE WINNER

SOTM BUILD:
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/141656-wicks-e46-m3-build-bass-turbo-button-and-a-big-new-addition/page-68#entry2802026

sig-sized6_zps0265e669.png

Voltage drop occurs across any connection or termination, no matter how well it is done. If terminations and connections are done properly, the voltage drop is negligible. Same thing goes for fuses - the quality ones have negligible voltage drop across them. Using a bunch of cheap lugs, fuse holders, and fuses is an excellent way to handicap the performance of your system.

A quality DMM is a car audio enthusiast's BEST friend. Why is it that so few use them (correctly that is . . . )? You can quickly and easily measure voltage drop at any point in your electrical system. At the very least, put the red probe on the output stud of the alternator and the black probe on the power wire directly into your sub amp (yes, you need to use an extension). Crank the system. The reading on the meter shows the difference between the two. Factor that as a percentage. If it's greater than 3%, you've got work to do. Same exact thing can be done between the case of the alternator and the ground wire of the amp. A MIN/MAX scale is very useful here as the meter can record this data according to dynamics in the music, which sometimes isn't possible to see with the naked eye.

Tony Candela - SMD Sales & Marketing
Email me at [email protected] to learn about becoming an SMD Partner!

CEAES_468.gif

Voltage drop occurs across any connection or termination, no matter how well it is done. If terminations and connections are done properly, the voltage drop is negligible. Same thing goes for fuses - the quality ones have negligible voltage drop across them. Using a bunch of cheap lugs, fuse holders, and fuses is an excellent way to handicap the performance of your system.

A quality DMM is a car audio enthusiast's BEST friend. Why is it that so few use them (correctly that is . . . )? You can quickly and easily measure voltage drop at any point in your electrical system. At the very least, put the red probe on the output stud of the alternator and the black probe on the power wire directly into your sub amp (yes, you need to use an extension). Crank the system. The reading on the meter shows the difference between the two. Factor that as a percentage. If it's greater than 3%, you've got work to do. Same exact thing can be done between the case of the alternator and the ground wire of the amp. A MIN/MAX scale is very useful here as the meter can record this data according to dynamics in the music, which sometimes isn't possible to see with the naked eye.

could we get a write up on this? Would be a real nice addition to the forum.

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.

got the electrical guru himself to chime in, thats some nice info. i didnt even know you could get extensions for dmms, though thinking back i suppose my friends o scope does have like 10ft long harness on it, where as my dmm's is like 2ft, lol

Just so that you guys know, I fully illustrate how to properly use a DMM in both of my books. If you want to know how to wield a DMM and:

- Know how to properly use it

- Know how to put the data you can obtain with it to work

- Be the EXPERT

- Make $$

Then you absolutely should consider the meager investment in the books. Automotive Wiring and Electrical Systems shows you how to USE the DMM with confidence. Automotive Electrical Performance Projects shows you how to use DMMs to analyze the performance of various circuits, including your charging system. You can read more about both books here - http://www.ceautoelectricsupply.com/wiringbooks.html

Keep in mind, these are award winning titles and my first book has sold approximately 25,000 copies to date!

Tony Candela - SMD Sales & Marketing
Email me at [email protected] to learn about becoming an SMD Partner!

CEAES_468.gif

Archived