Sonic Electronix

Need tech help. I'm stuck, and don't want to move on till...

I have the right answers. Here's my set up for starters:

Alpine head unit

Alpine g180 EQ

Infinity kappa series components and rear coaxial

JL 300/4

JL 1000/1 v1

2 JL w7 12's

Bosh blue top AGM battery, factory 135amp alternator

So I recently added a second JL w7. Previously the single sub was great, and I was happy with the sound quality and performance. When I added the second w7, I re adjusted the jl1000 to the voltage manufacturer calls for at 1.5ohm. The sound was amazing, and I was happy....for about 45 seconds. The bass started to fade away when it was supposed to hit hard, but not cutting out completely. Next day I checked all the connections.

I have both amps on a separate run of 0gage wire. Well I did find that the ground where it touches the body looked almost like it tried to spot weld it's self. I'm positive it was plenty tight, but I cleaned it up, and re did the ground. Well today I decided to play some loud bass stuff. The amp is now cutting out completely, or sounding disgusting like I'm doing a "pop test" with a 9 volt battery to figure out some mixed up wires.

I got the JL1000 from a friend. Well today he told me he previously had it repaired. It's also a v1, so it might be pretty old, and I doubt it's ever been used to push 2 w7's or any real 1.5ohm load at that. So does it sound like the amp is on its way out/done? Why would the ground arc??

I've not been too impressed at all with the JL amps, but am very happy with the w7's. If this amp is toast, I'm not going to repair it. What do you guys recommend? I don't want to go multiple battery and $600 alternator right now. What is a good amp to push a decent 500-750rms to each sub without killing my battery? I know the fosgate t1500bd is awesome, just not sure. Really could use some help. Thanks in advance guys!!!!!

First : welcome to the forum

Second : I am an RF fanboy who has an a buddy running a RF T1500 on his sealed box JL W7 12's and it sounds great.

Third : Have you used a multimeter to see what load you are running to the amp?

Welcome to SMD

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

Thanks for the welcome, and reply! I've been lurking for a while here lol. But currently with both subs it's exactly 1.5ohm on my multimeter, set at I believe 37v. With the single sub it was at 54v at 3ohm. When I ran the amp down at 1.5...all hell broke lose. But I have to agree with the fosgate statement. A buddy installed one on 2 15" kicker L7's and omg!! Stock charging system and cheap arse battery, and a crappy install at that....no issues. Me, I cross all my T's and dot my I's...amp takes a poop, distortion etc. I'm not a happy camper.

where did these manufacturer suggested voltages come from, and were they set at your preferred EQ settings?

For example: if you set your "voltages" with the EQ for the subwoofer at 0 then change it to +3 later your "voltage" will increase.

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

Ground is connected in the rear cargo of my tbss. There are these really split mounting points that have cargo hooks. I sanded down to bare metal, crimped and soldered a connection, and also have a flat washer on top of the connector that makes a complete 360 deg ground connection atop of the actual connector, which is secured by the bolt and cargo strap. It's just like a seatbelt mounting point basically. It's no longer than 2 feet.

where did these manufacturer suggested voltages come from, and were they set at your preferred EQ settings?

For example: if you set your "voltages" with the EQ for the subwoofer at 0 then change it to +3 later your "voltage" will increase.

Straight from the jl1000 manual. The jl1000 is actually not hooked up the the g180. I use the EQ strictly for the door speakers. The JL1000 is on the head unit output. I set the gain with a 50hz sine at 0db gain. Volume on head unit at 3/4. Subwoofer gain on head unit at 6db. I did not deviate anywhere from what it should have been set at.

Archived