Second Skin Audio

Is bigger better?

_paralyzed_

My girlfriend keeps talking about the size of her last boyfriend and....

Whoops... wrong forum.... anyway....

My Boston Acoustics G2 15"s call for 2.0 cubic feet in a sealed box. I have the room, will a little bit bigger be any better? I would port, but these subs really weren't designed for ported use.

My Boston Acoustics G2 15"s call for 2.0 cubic feet in a sealed box. I have the room, will a little bit bigger be any better? I would port, but these subs really weren't designed for ported use.

nice intro lol. You should ask tell her well did he have big subs noooo didn't think so. then make her sit in your car for a gruesome demo ^_^ as far as the box I'm sure you could make it a bit bigger .5 cu ft especially if you go sealed as far as if you port it then I'm not so sire

How much bigger can you make it? It takes a pretty big change in volume to have a noticeable difference with sealed enclosures.

As you make the box bigger it will lower the enclosures Qtc. A lower Qtc will start rolling off at a higher frequency but will do so at a slower rate, so you will pick up some low end output at the expense of some upper end output.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

How much bigger can you make it? It takes a pretty big change in volume to have a noticeable difference with sealed enclosures.

As you make the box bigger it will lower the enclosures Qtc. A lower Qtc will start rolling off at a higher frequency but will do so at a slower rate, so you will pick up some low end output at the expense of some upper end output.

So then, it would be ideal to create a larger sealed enclosure if, say, you have 8" midbasses picking up around the 100hz frequency range on the front stage? Also, does overpowering the sub slightly become a bigger or smaller concern if you do increase volumee? My assumption is bigger concern.

According to my girlfriend, yes

09 Challenger R/T (Audio system under construction):

• Pioneer AVH-X4500BT (PAC RP4CH11 harness)
  • (2) Sundown Audio SA-8v2 (inverted)
  • CT Sounds AT1400.1D
  • XS Power D3400
  • 40 sq ft. Audiotechnix deadener
  • 1/0 Audiotechnix wiring
  • stock Boston Acoustic 7 speaker amplified system (for now)
  • Sealed trunk enclosure

Build log:

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/178399-slammed-dodge-challenger-sundownct-sounds-build/

TEAM GOAT

signature-1.jpgsubsignature.jpg

lols don't sound like shes over her last bf

So then, it would be ideal to create a larger sealed enclosure if, say, you have 8" midbasses picking up around the 100hz frequency range on the front stage? Also, does overpowering the sub slightly become a bigger or smaller concern if you do increase volumee? My assumption is bigger concern.

bigger concern due to less back pressure in a bigger enclosure

skar sk2500.1
0 gauge power and ground kunukonceptz
alpine HU
vxi65 components on BA gt-275
new build log -> http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/150642-project-d-kon-deathcards-build-log/#entry2148821
2 x-15 sundowns

singer alt, odyssey bat, and maxwell ultra caps

A larger box will reduce the power handling (as Deathcards said) due to lower back pressure. Basically your subs will bottom out on less power, and the box will sound more "boomy" and less "punchy".

For people that aren't competing and/or don't have a specific reason to run bigger/smaller I would advise to stick to manufacturer recommendations. Just my $.02 though.

2006 Scion xB

2 Sundown SA12D2

Ported at 32hz

147 on non termlab (140-142 on TL)

Currently in a walled 4th @ 50hz (not metered yet)

Hifonics brz2100

Alpine Type-S Components

Kicker 300.2

Big 3 / Skyhigh 1/0 cca

Optima Blue Top

3 e8s ported at 32hz

135.1 sealed on dash @ 56hz

135.0 outlaw (I must have chosen song poorly lol)

Build log

'Brandon15zzz', on 09 May 2012 - 3:13 PM, said:snapback.png

May have been clipping but none fucks were givin.

bigger concern due to less back pressure in a bigger enclosure

So it's either 1) go by Manufacturer's recommended sealed volume (or roughly within 10% of it) or 2) just port it

A larger box will reduce the power handling (as Deathcards said) due to lower back pressure. Basically your subs will bottom out on less power, and the box will sound more "boomy" and less "punchy".

For people that aren't competing and/or don't have a specific reason to run bigger/smaller I would advise to stick to manufacturer recommendations. Just my $.02 though.

You got it backwards, its the smaller boxes that sound boomy and the larger ones that sound tighter.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Archived