Anyone use their battery charger as a power supply?

I've been having a problem with engine noise and whine coming through my front driver door speaker lately. I've switched RCAs so now I'm thinking its either my HU (Pioneer AVH- P2300) or my highs amp (Clarion XH5410). I've also read up on the infamous Pico fuse on pioneer HU's. I'm gonna go ahead and admit that I've always switched my RCAs while the HU was on so that could be the case. I really want to get a good look at my HU and amp without them being in the car. A friend of mine has a 12v power supply he uses when working on electronics in his home but he's out of town currently. Is it possible to use my battery charger as power supply to power my HU and AMP so I'm not cramped up in my cold car trying to diagnose my problem.

I also have a bunch of old amps I've accumulated over time that I would like to try out without unhooking and hooking each of them in my car.

Alternator whine often comes from poor grounding between the alternator and the body of the car. Before you condemn your gear, make sure your grounds are clean and intact from the alternator/engine to the battery and to the body of the vehicle.

As for battery chargers as power supplies... if you're chasing a noise problem, I wouldn't use a battery charger. That's not a very smooth source of DC current.

Facebook: facebook.com/audioanarchyllc

Instagram: audioanarchyllc

Youtube: youtube.com/bbeljefe

aaresizehorizontal_zps47821bb2.jpg

When i did the big 3 I sanded all my grounds using my dremel. I didn't think my problem would be grounds because I only hear the noise thru one channel and in one speaker. Its only thru the front. If I switch RCAs I can still hear it but If.I unplug the front channel it goes away and the rear plays like it should. My deck also make a horrible humming noise when the front RCAs are plugged in.

like stated before me don't use a battery charger.. its ok to make shure the gear will function (ive done it when I bought amps a few times) but if you are able to use one of your extra batteries, I would go that route. and by how you stated your problem I came to think your doors are amplified. if so the amp may have a bad channel. ive only owned one clarion amp and it was a 2 chl and I had the left channel go out on me 3 months after I bought it new, (the cross overs potentiometer had a short internally). if you have a way to test your rca output on your radio (dd-1 or an o scope, even some very high quality scan tools can do it) would be where I tried to start. you could open up your amp and use a dvom to test the pots and and caps to

98 honda civic hx build in process

have need

sundown x-12 d4 more sound deadening

sundown saz1500d v2 alternator (mechman)

sky high 1/0 w/ big 3 false walls and fiberglassing

amp rack (half done) and box processor

kicker zx 200.4 (mids/highs)

infinity reference components

trunk lid rear deck and rear quarter panels deadened

kinetic hc1400 under the hood (picking up 2 more late Jan early feb)

check it out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wF0CV2NaX4

November 9th, 2013 metered 140.3 at Midwest audio &detailing sealed on dash w/ termlab (w/ old alpine amp, new amp yet to be metered)

Try grounding rca on back of deck to the deck

Take a small peice of 16 gauge wire strip it enough to wrap around the outside of the rca plug.then touch the metal part on deck if works crimp small ring terminal then find a screw hole on deck and fasten it

Go go pioneer head units

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

Try grounding rca on back of deck to the deck

Take a small peice of 16 gauge wire strip it enough to wrap around the outside of the rca plug.then touch the metal part on deck if works crimp small ring terminal then find a screw hole on deck and fasten it

This.

Definitely sounds like the HU is the source of the problem.

I'm sorry, I guess I missed the part where it is only one channel making noise. Definitely sounds like the head unit.

Facebook: facebook.com/audioanarchyllc

Instagram: audioanarchyllc

Youtube: youtube.com/bbeljefe

aaresizehorizontal_zps47821bb2.jpg

Archived