Going from 2v pre out HU to 4v pre out HU

I am here. I was just sitting back watching the discussion. So what I have experienced is that the new HU has made everything not only louder but cleaner. Also can crank the volume to the clean output of the deck (57 out of 62) without clipping the sub. With the other 2v HU it would clip around 45 when the max clean volume was 57 out of 62. This is with all the settings the same on each deck same sub same everything just different Hu.

The gain and crossover were set with my DD-1 and CC-1 with the -5 db track same as the 2v head unit. So not sure if it has to do with the voltage differences in the decks or just that one is better construction. The 2v deck was a Pioneer 6500BT and the New one is the 8600BU.

80prs

Arc Audio Xdi 1200.6 (using active crossovers) Freaking awesome amplifier

Incriminator IA 10.1

Focal PS 130v 5.25 (doors)

4" Faital pro Neo (kick panels) 

3" Faital pro Neo and focal tweets( dash)

DC Audio level 3 12"  custom box designed by joex built by me

AGM front, XS 750SE batteries rear

DC 180 alt

99 Toyota Tacoma extra cab

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/179476-my-small-build-turned-into-the-ongoing-build/

I am here. I was just sitting back watching the discussion. So what I have experienced is that the new HU has made everything not only louder but cleaner. Also can crank the volume to the clean output of the deck (57 out of 62) without clipping the sub. With the other 2v HU it would clip around 45 when the max clean volume was 57 out of 62. This is with all the settings the same on each deck same sub same everything just different Hu.

The gain and crossover were set with my DD-1 and CC-1 with the -5 db track same as the 2v head unit. So not sure if it has to do with the voltage differences in the decks or just that one is better construction. The 2v deck was a Pioneer 6500BT and the New one is the 8600BU.

great news! Its probably all around just a better HU. But higher voltage does help!

Just so everyone knows I am a novice at this and all statements are from my real experience with my truck and my system. I didn't do any kind of testing just a before and after.

Just because mine sounds better and louder doesn't mean yours will also. Thanks.

80prs

Arc Audio Xdi 1200.6 (using active crossovers) Freaking awesome amplifier

Incriminator IA 10.1

Focal PS 130v 5.25 (doors)

4" Faital pro Neo (kick panels) 

3" Faital pro Neo and focal tweets( dash)

DC Audio level 3 12"  custom box designed by joex built by me

AGM front, XS 750SE batteries rear

DC 180 alt

99 Toyota Tacoma extra cab

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/179476-my-small-build-turned-into-the-ongoing-build/

• 1 month later...

Ok so my question on this is, say if I have an electronic crossover (in between the headunit and the amps) that puts out around 5V (clean) at its pre-outs and can accept a signal down to 200mV at its input. Does it matter now if my HU has 2V or 4V pre-outs?? I am leaning towards no...

that x-over (I believe you are actually talking about a processor) should have a gain of its own. so you would then just have to turn the hu up to its max non clipping volume then adjust the gain on the x-over (processor) to a safe clip free level then the amp(s).

should make your own thread though about this for more help.

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.

Archived