Second Skin Audio

How much of a difference does price make?

"you get what you pay for"

Doesn't mean that there Isn't over priced equipment/companies out there in the car audio world.

very true. I can't say DD isn't a bit overpriced but they make good stuff so I am happy with it. perfect example. MTX Jackhammer 22" is about $10,000.

don't think that's really getting what you pay for lol.

haha, wasn't directed towards any post specifically, just wanted to point it out. And yes, that is an extreme example but is also true. Just don't want everyone to buy things going by what they cost....

Mine will be,

Your 9515's, and those new DD drivers, Ill put my subs up against all day. Taking price into account.

All day.

And im the "buy new, and buy good shit" talking guy, BUT, there are limits, ....... period.

And Bhoss was right... vs in the making..

IB$l

Just clarifying, did you just say that you would put your subs against the DD9515's? I don't want to make this a vs thread so I wont ask what you have, but if its what your profile says you have thats a pretty hefty claim there man.

Edit: Oh, I didn't think about the fact that you said taking price into consideration. Makes more sense now.

I would put them in contention, period. Fuck cost. All day. every day....

Now hear is a brain-picker:

If I have a strict budget, would it be best to get something higher-end from a historically bad company, or get something very entry level from a good company? For instance, kenwood makes a little amp I found on amazon for about 70 bucks. 75 watts rms x2 into 2 ohms. Then there is a little pyramid amp for the same price that claims it can output 500watts x 1 into 2 ohms. Now obviously those specs are a lie, but even if it only outputs half of what it says, that's still more power. So the question is, will you be able to tell which is higher quality? And can higher quality components make one amp louder even if techincally it outputs less power?

Say the pyramid puts out a bit more power, it will sound worse and it will likely cook AND may hit what's connected to it. If you call that a good deal go ahead and get the pyramid. Apparently you never heard this one: "Price is just another way to cheat".

If I have a strict budget, would it be best to get something higher-end from a historically bad company, or get something very entry level from a good company? For instance, kenwood makes a little amp I found on amazon for about 70 bucks. 75 watts rms x2 into 2 ohms. Then there is a little pyramid amp for the same price that claims it can output 500watts x 1 into 2 ohms. Now obviously those specs are a lie, but even if it only outputs half of what it says, that's still more power. So the question is, will you be able to tell which is higher quality? And can higher quality components make one amp louder even if techincally it outputs less power?

Entry level from a good company any day. Boss, Pyle, Pyramid, Audiobah, and a bunch of other brands Im forgetting, are just complete pieces of shit. I wouldn't touch any of that garbage with a 10 foot pole, I dont care if its free.

7e770874-fae3-49d5-ad82-4cabf106fead_zps d3abdb88-50bf-42d8-9628-e257559ec11d_zps

IG: devinthydude

I would personally hunt Craigslist.

But before I bought crap, I too agree with an entry level sub and amp from a reputable company.

I too am a believer in " you get what you pay for ". Cheap crap is like throwing your $ directly into the trash. You could probably find some older model Fosgate amps and kicker amps on Craigslist all day. Chances are, the idiot selling them went bigger because he didn't know what he was doing anyways. I've got a lot of used stuff off Craigslist.

"you get what you pay for"

Doesn't mean that there Isn't over priced equipment/companies out there in the car audio world.

very true. I can't say DD isn't a bit overpriced but they make good stuff so I am happy with it. perfect example. MTX Jackhammer 22" is about $10,000.

don't think that's really getting what you pay for lol.

haha, wasn't directed towards any post specifically, just wanted to point it out. And yes, that is an extreme example but is also true. Just don't want everyone to buy things going by what they cost....

Mine will be,

Your 9515's, and those new DD drivers, Ill put my subs up against all day. Taking price into account.

All day.

And im the "buy new, and buy good shit" talking guy, BUT, there are limits, ....... period.

And Bhoss was right... vs in the making..

IB$l

didn't wanna make this a vs thread so pm'd

2007 Ford Focus SES Hatchback

Pioneer HU

4 Digital Designs 9515i's in a B pillar.

2 Soundstream XXX 15K's (running at 16 volts)

Soundstream Mids/Highs in custom door panels (getting rebuilt soon)

Soundstream TA2.160 and TA2.400

Sky High and KNU wiring

3 Banks of Maxwell caps 

Winston Lithium (not a fan)

Bump4Life 250 Amp Alt. aka USAlternators

Soundstream Focus and Avenger Build Log

Instagram @p4linnovation

YouTube: Team Blowin Loud 

pretty sure hifonics isn't top of the line. ;)

Subs = 2x Rockford Fosgate p110's in custom ported box

Amp = Rockford Fosgate 451s (115 watts rms x 2 into 4 ohms)

Rear = Sony xplod 6.5 coaxials (they were on clearance at target :D )

Front = Soundstorm 6.5's

Wire = some 8 gauge crap my friend gave me

head unit = an older alpine

I'M POOR OK :(

I would personally spend money on a lower end version from a more trusted brand , even the lower end is usually high quality. Most big name guys like to keep a good reputation, even on lower end stuff. Any reputable brand of sub is gonna do well on its recommended RMS ,in the right box, so I would just get an amp that is CEA compliant for your wattage and a nice lil' entry level sub and enjoy.

im reading this thread and seeing so many people putting brands like hi-fonics in a category other "sub-par". All i can picture are amps with yellow labels that save "supper" amp, or "Wattz" or "maxx". And yes, i typed supper, not super, because i have seen that done.

Archived