Alpine CDA-7894 Overheats and Smokes???

Not sure if this the right area for this but anyways

So I had this head unit for over a 2 years and it's been in at least 2 different cars I've had. Never a problem, not a single one. So before Christmas I decided to thin my collection so I listed it on eBay it sells, I ship and alls good. Now almost 4 weeks later I get a email saying he installed it and it's overheating to the point it's smoking. I have never in all my years of installing headunits have I ever had one overheat or smoke in anyway so I'm dumbfounded on what it could be the cause. Also bench tested this and was removed from my jeep back in Oct-Nov.

( not trying to toot my own horn but I have installed at least 75-100 headunits since high school for me,friends and family.)

1998 Jeep Cherokee

Headunit: Alpine CDE-143BT
Eq: NVX XEQ7
Front stage: Boston Acoustic 6.5 Component set
Rear stage : Removed
Mid/High Amp : Pioneer GM-X364 70x2 bridged
Subwoofer: Fi BL 18" Dual 2 wired @ 1ohm
Sub Amp: CT Sounds 1400.1d

Build: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/180586-juniorxjs-98-cherokee-build/

You positive it was working when you sold it?

It's not uncommon for people to wire stuff up wrong and try to say it was a problem with the product

I'm positive. I had it on the 12v power supply for at least 10min while I made the listing , it's the vdrive type that need a direct lead to the battery ( so the manual say ) I wonder if that got messed up in some way.

1998 Jeep Cherokee

Build: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/180586-juniorxjs-98-cherokee-build/

I had an Alpine HU that would over heat . I would actually display overheat on the screen. It would stop playing CD's and only play the radio. Alpine knew there was a resistor that would go bad if there was not enough airflow in dash behind the fan in HU. Could be he has wires blocking the air flow.

I'm not sure if was displaying overheat or what for him . Never heard of it happening but I've never had a issue with this , only reason I removed it was I wanted iPod control and this was alittle before that time, else I would still be rockin this today, one of my favorites to be honest. So pissed in so many way right now

1998 Jeep Cherokee

That head unit is like 15 yes old. It may have just given up the ghost

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

I've owned nothing BUT Alpine head units. Never had a problem like that. Guy probably wired it wrong….which I wouldn't even know how you could do that!

Same thing hear, and thats what i was thinking wrong wiring but how?

That head unit is like 15 yes old. It may have just given up the ghost

And that could be the case. Just figured I'd ask for your guys opinion on the situation, I wouldn't even second guess it as a possibility if i hadn't been personally using it recently

1998 Jeep Cherokee

Archived