What Causes an Overboost Condition?

The flashing cel isn't the issue as of course it will misfire running twice the amount of boost as normal (overboosting to 16 psi). As for the occasional p0300 code, not so simple.

It's gotta be something exhaust side (in my mind). If you are at idle and then step on the pedal can you hear your supercharger whine? If so then it may be an exhaust clog.

DAT 4125------>RE XXX comps active

Eclipse cd7000

I serve drunks for a living :D

Yeah, can hear a slight whine even at idle, never did that before Saturday.

Im off tomorrow, ill take it to a muffler shop and get a ruling on the cat(s).

I hope the warranty covers them if they are the issue, best price I found was just under $1k each before labor.

SMD Super Seller

My Feedback Thread

Yeah, can hear a slight whine even at idle, never did that before Saturday.

Im off tomorrow, ill take it to a muffler shop and get a ruling on the cat(s).

I hope the warranty covers them if they are the issue, best price I found was just under $1k each before labor.

If you find out it's the cats and your warranty won't cover them hit me up via pm. I have a good friend that works at a motorcraft parts supplier he gets parts below dealer cost. Some parts are dealer only though but If it's a part he can get I'll get you a price.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

I'm assuming your keeping the cats for warranty purposes? I'd junk them if you have that option, but I surmise you have a good reason for not doing so.

Hope you get it fixed, good luck.

You're not too familiar with CA emissions, are you? LOL. If I get pulled over and the cop looks under the car, its getting towed.

I had the cats out while stationed in Germany, it is WAY too fucking loud. But I may go that route again if mine are bad. Not droppin' $2k on a couple chunks of ceramic.

Fingers are crossed its "only" cats causing the overboost. I already suspect Ill be replacing headgaskets as well though. As long as there is no head/valvetrain damage, ill be happy.

SMD Super Seller

My Feedback Thread

Maybe I missed it but who tuned your car? Running rich may cause the cats to melt over time. I know some hi flow cats are more prone to it but I don't know how wel the stockies hold up.

Either way, I guess any unburned fuel that enters will heat them up crazy quick. Is this a conservative tune?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just hoping your internals are fine.

DAT 4125------>RE XXX comps active

Eclipse cd7000

I serve drunks for a living :D

Completely unrelated but why dont they make fake cats for you cali guys? Like just looks like a cat but is actually just a through piece of pipe?

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)

@Finkster

The tune comes from Kenne Bell, with some tweaking done via dyno runs. All done by a reputable shop.

Any misfires will dump unburned fuel into the cats, where it will combust. This car had misfire codes even stock, so 4 years of misfires likely killed the cats.

The factory tune was very conservative. The S/C tune is a bit more aggressive, but keeps a/f ratio in a safe range.

SMD Super Seller

My Feedback Thread

Can you not just gut the cats, considering it doesn't comply to CA emissions anyway? At least that's what I understood since it was bought out of state.

On 1/4/2013 at 9:31 PM, HatersGonnaHate said:

Wow. 184 posts and I think you're a fucking asshole.

Archived