Second Skin Audio

SoundQubed HDS300

John Fassetta

So I definitely had overestimated the size of my existing box that's had two type R's in it (they're blown, but 600 rms can only handle 1100 watts for so long. made it about two years). Thought it was about 1.5 cuft net per sub....turns out its just about 1 per sub. The outside dimensions are 13.75"x16.75"x31.75" and its 3/4" around with a 1" think face. I have a Tundra so I just fold one seat up in the back bench and it is held in place by the supports for the seat. I guess given the size constraint I'm stuck needing go with one sub?

Sounds like u only have space for 1 12

Chick took 3 shots of Jager, and then, pissed in my mouth.. oh.. wait.. naw.. that wasnt weird..

He probably tearin dat ass up every night. Reason for "insomnia" Ain't sleeping cause he's like a horny hamster on coke.

2000 grand prix gtp: SOLD My Home Theater Build (working progress) 2002 accord coupe

subs: 2 soundqubed hds300 12s 4'1" towers tuned to 29hz sub: AQ hdc3 12

Amp: pioneer gm9061 amp: poineer gm9601

headunit: kenwood kdc 255u mids: SQ pro mids

midbass: polk db 8s highs: stock

mids/highs: shitty off brand

So I was thinking I was all set on the HDS subs for myself (still trying to fit 2 12's) and my buddy with a crown vic who is wanting to get 2 15's (either HDS or XFL's are the top two contenders right now). XFL's are almost totally unknown to me and HDS doesn't publish any specs which is bugging the hell out of me. What's the trade-off between sound quality and SPL between the 2 and how would they compare in both to type R's? Thanks, hoping to pull the trigger on something soon!

Man, it's turning awfully close into a vs. thread. Is the current box you have a sealed enclosure? I get 3.27 cubes before displacement. I'm sure someone will be happy to help you with a design, or I can even help if you need. As far as the sub choice, the XFL has known specs and track record. A lot if guys are happy with them. I think the HDS will be worth a try and they are really affordable right now. I'm sure they will go up, so NOW is the time to grab them as SQ has already talked about a price increase happening soon.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

Sorry, wasn't intending to ask like one vs another overall but it does look that way. Just pretty overwhelmed with so many options after leaving the world of Rockford, Alpine, MTX, JL, and Kicker. I've got a bad habit of over-analyzing purchases way after the point of additional benefit. I guess more what I was trying to ask is if a XFL is really more like a SPL sub that has very low sound quality (or could it fit my bill of wanting to step up over a Type R) but crazy high output? That'd be my only concern. I'm sure either would be great, just like I said I like to really analyze a purchase and the lack of specs on the HDS throws me off probably more than it should. Fi SSD's look like another cool option too. Too much to think about.....lol

EDIT: My box is an Atrend for 2 12's that I bought several years back. Its slot ported and gives the subs about 1.1cu ft each (separate chambers, vent in the middle). I'm getting a lot better at building boxes and hopefully can figure out how to design them properly on my own or with some help from all yall. I think if I angle a box and take up the full space I might could hit 5cu ft gross so I think I might have to go to one 15 or 2 10's from 2 12's.

John, I believe you will be impressed with either the Soundqubed or the XFL, both are awesome subs abd given the correct box will out do your type R's. As far as whether the HDC's are only good for comps you could ask Andrew (AMI Customs). I was in the same boat as you, trying to stuff a lot of bass into a pickup and ended up with a box sitting in the 40% section of the backseat. I settled on one 12 to keep it from being too tall. It is very loud and sounds great. I can't rattle my own rear view mirror but I can vibrate the rear view of the person sitting in front of me and I am currently underpowered.

Archived