John, I like where you're going with that and the unloading idea. I currently run the twin 4" ports and it doesn't unload our make any weird noise. You know what mightebe worth trying though, maybe a small elbow to kind of kick the inside opening of the port away from the ass of the sub.

And I'm unfamiliar with the seamless alloy or steel pipe that may be that exact size. I'm definitely wanting the 37 Hz tuning. I did why to fiberglass the outside of the wooden rings if I go that route.

I'm soaking in all of these ideas guys, keep them coming they are really helpful. I don't mind the design Joe did either, I never attempted a wooden port because I didn't think I had the net for it. I want to have my B-pillar act as a loading wall and in gonna sound deaden the crap out of it so it's stout.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think using the top of the box will give as good a result as port from bottom as far as loading but testing will tell if you have the time

But then again using the bottom will aim port more at the sub so loading issues may be prezant

Can you go any higher on the top to allow the same net with a bigger port (bottom port)

Go any higher with what exactly John? I'm trying to visualize what it is you're asking. Like are you asking if I can move the port up along the side of the box? Yes, I can do that. The two 4" ports I have now are on the bottom and they don't produce noise that I can notice.

Or are you asking if I can make the box larger externally for a better net airspace?

I really like firing the port low into the B-pillar because I get some good lows, plus it's a beefier part of the structure over there. I'm not sure that the sound would reflect the way it's supposed to if the port was moved higher up. I'm gonna find the other screenshot of the updated box as well :D

Thank you for your help John.

And what do you think Joe? You think a 7" round port would have a benefit positioned more in the box? You think one big port over multiple 4" ports(3 to be exact)is a better idea?

For clarification though, I see what we are talking about with the unloading issue. The port will be all the way to the most forward part of the box(against the baffle almost) and it will be more on the same level as the basket of the sub, rather than the back of the magnet. The setup works in most regular cab trucks that I've seen and I know Ray West is a fan of this type of loading.

P.S. Another thing I've been worried about is port area. I just realized I'm almost dead on for what SQ suggests. For 2.5 cubes, they recommend 40" of port. I'm right on it, who knew? That makes me happy because having enough airspace, proper amount of port, and proper linearity with port and avoiding unloading issues is a lot to juggle all at once. Especially when I'm so restricted with airspace limitations in a regular cab truck.

I hate all of you who have trunks or cargo areas. I realize I have a perfectly good bed for equipment, so at the end of the day, it's me who sucks for not using it. Let's see what results we can get out of a non modified class first though.

I was talking about making the box taller or to more if a point

To allow you to put port across the bottom thus giving more sq" of port and allow it fire into the bottom of the b pillar

As I found firing from the top of the box doesn't work as well at loading the port as it does from the bottom

Yay, got my recone stuff in today:

20140220_121446.jpg

20140220_121455.jpg

I've never felt a spider that is so stiff. I seriously can't even bend the thing. I guess it might handle just a tiny bit of power.

I also threw an idea out of possibly painting the frames a different color other than the stock black.

DAYUM!!! you better be doing motor out or putting a window in the box. I say use the solid caps without the logo.

Archived