SQ Driver install suggestions 09 Maxima

Chris Winesette

I've been out of the loop for a few year and I am just not getting back into it. I just purchased my first car in awhile that I feel comfortable putting a great SQ system in. So after lots of searching and research on the site I decided to go with HAT speakers. Below is what I have in mind (ordering by Friday with your input).

First off my car is an 09 Nissan Maxima. It has the stock Bose system with the monochrome display (nasty).

What I already have:
1. Headunit: Sony GS600BT (this will allow me to still have iphone controls)
2. Axxess ASWC steering wheel controls
3. JL Audio CP210-W0v3 (vented box made by JL Audio with 2 10W0) ANY SUGGESTIONS ON WHAT DIRECTION THIS SHOULD FACE AND ANY CREATIVE USE OF THE VENT IN THE BOX? I HAVE THE SKI OPENING BETWEEN THE REAR SEATS.
4. JL Audio XD 600/1 for the subs

What I am planning on purchasing.
5. JBL MS-8 for crossovers and DSP
6. For the current 4" opening in the dash - Legatia L3SE
7. For the front door - Legatia Midrange/midbase? Clarus C61-2?
8. Rear door midbass?
9. The Maxima also has a center channel that I am open to suggestions on.
10. All powered by an JL Audio HD600/4?
11. Rammat everywhere especially front doors and trunk for starters.

So here is where I need help. I am still new to the active/passive and 2-way and 3-way setup part of car audio. From what I understand I can use the MS-8 for my crossover.

If I use the Legatia L3S in the dash they could function as a coax (would adding a center channel help?

Would I still benefit from using the Clarus C61-2 woofer and tweeter or should I just get something that doesn't include a tweeter? If you recommend still using the tweeter, where is the best location if I am still using the L3S's in the dash? I want to try has hard as possible for my system to be heard and not seen. Keeping it looking factory as possible would be great.

I am also open to other speaker suggestions if buying them separate from PartsExpress makes more since.

Hey man, welcome first of all. I too have an 09 maxima, check it out if you like. I can't really comment on those speakers because I've never heard them before, the JL HD series amps though is a good choice, solid ampsss. Just to let you know in advance, the trunk lids on our cars really don't like bass. I have 1 sa12 on 1,000 watts in a ported box at 33hz and 1 full layer of stinger roadkill on the lid and it still flexes pretty bad, still trying to figure out how to remedy it. I'm running rf power t2 components in the front doors, made some plates to cover the 6×9 hole to mount the 6.5 and tweeter beside each other. I will admit it sounds pretty good and gets decently loud but I need to definitely remount my tweeter in a different location to bring the stage up and also find some way to mount a 3-4" mid somewhere up front. Also a good idea to deaden the outer skin of the doors, around the speaker holes and especially the black plate that you pull off to get access to the inside of the door, all 4 of mine have about 70-80% coverage, also might need a little on the back side of the panel itself. I don't know what your budget is but if you really want SQ, look into blues car audio, hertz or hybrid audio speakers (they're costly, but worth the money). As far as amps look into linear power or audison. You can make cheaper component sets sound good it's just all in the prep, install and tuning with a good processor like you said. Lookin forward to saome pictures of the car and new equipment!

2009 maxima, currently stock

Welcome to the forum! Great place to get advice on your build. Take pics and keep giving detailed info to get the best help. Tuned in and will help anyway i can.

Sound deaden the shit out of it. I have done alot and it seems like the rattles move around when i fix one spot! ha ha And i cant stand the rattles. If you budgets good and you do your research you should end up with a nice SQ system. Tuned in, take pics and keep us posted.

If it were me, I'd put a nice 6.5 mid woofer in the door and then maybe take the panels off the top of the dash that hide the I think 3" that are up there on either side and custom make some fiberglass pods that would house a 3-4" and a tweeter on either side. Definitely try to find a carpet dash mat for it. I haven't looked around to see if they make one specifically for our cars. From what a few friends that do sq competitions have told me, it's good to make some sort of temporary pod for the speaker(s) to play around with where to put them and angle and what not. If you have a Facebook look up Ray Rayfield, he actually builds the linear power amplifiers, his Ford Escape sounds amazing! He competes in sq comps. Also look up on here Randall Johnson aka white lightning (his trucks name) and talk to him. I give you those references because they could give you more detailed suggestions and facts than I can. I'm just throwing out ideas I've had that I think would work good.

2009 maxima, currently stock

I STRONGLY suggest you buy a different processor.

The JBL MS-8 is utter crap imo for more than a few reasons, I had to work with one for an install and hated it severely.

-First issue, it drove me nuts is you need to use the little included remote with the unit to access the functions of the ms-8.

-Second issue, is it has no auto sensing remote turn-on meaning that you have to run a remote wire to turn the unit on. Now its not that big of an issue for all, but when your using it as a processor in a vehicle where you plan to leave the stock radio installed you than have to run a remote wire to it. I installed it in a ford flex which is all can-bus, meaning there is no 12volt switched power wire on the radio, its all data wire. So it was either A: buy an auto sensing remote turn on unit from a 3rd party or B: tap into the only 12volt ignition wire which was on the actual key switch. The lack of an auto sensing remote turn-on for this unit at its price point is strongly disgusting!

-Third issue, which made me have to wait on a new replacement unit is turn on pop through the amplifiers. Every speaker that was ran off an amp from the ms-8 made a loud horrendous POP. I even bench tested the unit with my garage stereo and the same deal. The replacement unit had a rather noticeable turn on pop as well, but no where near what the first unit had. Again, something a $500 processor should not have.

-Fourth issue, A rather senseless issue again, it has settings to delay the remote turn-off for the amplifiers so if you have a turn-off pop you can eliminate it by turning the amplifiers off after the ms-8. Great feature however this would be more useful if they had a delay for turning the remote on, which you could then eliminate the turn-on pop. Clearly not the case!

-Fifth issue, if you need to make the smallest of an adjustment because you are not pleased with the tune you have to go through the entire setup again, wearing some headphones with integrated mics listening to beeps. There is no way to setup this unit listening to music to adjust any of the crossover settings, bass, midrange, or treble settings. Unless I was not able to find them, but every time I wanted to change something on the tune it forced me to redo the entire setup. This drove me extremely nuts.

In all this unit is clearly not functional imo to be considered a oem integration processor, let alone a user friendly processor.

I strongly suggest the Rockford Fosgate 3Sixty.3 over the JBL MS-8 every day of the week, and its only about $50.00 more, and gives you so many more options for everything and walks all over the MS-8

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_34749_Rockford-Fosgate-3SIXTY.3.html

Maybe it was just user error on my part, but I can install rather nice imo and it just seems like i fought with the MS-8 every minute of the install.
Here are some of the install pictures in the link below.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.640068772683600.1073741835.388937734463373&type=3

I have been researching a shit ton on processors and truly if you want to go sq and have to run a processor I feel this one is the lesser if all the evils and that's a helix DSP ... It still has its flaws but all processors do.

Lots of sound deadener foam and tape .... Lots rattles will drive you insane. And good deadener with a good thick foil backing

You don't want to use a center channel for sq unless doing two seat judging. If you are going to run a DVD player or something that can play movies yes get a center channel but if not stay away from a center channel it makes imaging very hard.

I'll post more later when i get time

1. Headunit: Sony GS600BT (this will allow me to still have iphone controls)

5. JBL MS-8 for crossovers and DSP

I am also open to other speaker suggestions if buying them separate from PartsExpress makes more since.

If you plan to change out your factory headunit ... I would highly suggest in buying you a headunit that will take care of all of your needs and not worry about a processor ... Simple, sweet, and to the starting point of a bad ass system ...

For what your head unit PLUS a processor would cost you ... You could get you a Pioneer P99RS and be done with it ...

I have been researching a shit ton on processors and truly if you want to go sq and have to run a processor I feel this one is the lesser if all the evils and that's a helix DSP ... It still has its flaws but all processors do.

But if you insist on having a processor ... Then I agree with Josh here.

I don't know what your budget is but if you really want SQ, look into blues car audio, hertz or hybrid audio speakers (they're costly, but worth the money). As far as amps look into linear power or audison.

If you have a Facebook look up Ray Rayfield, he actually builds the linear power amplifiers, his Ford Escape sounds amazing! He competes in sq comps. Also look up on here Randall Johnson aka white lightning (his trucks name) and talk to him.

Thank You Sir for the kind words and recommendations ... I will be glad to help out where I can ...

You don't want to use a center channel for sq unless doing two seat judging. If you are going to run a DVD player or something that can play movies yes get a center channel but if not stay away from a center channel it makes imaging very hard.

That about sums it up there brother ... Couldn't have typed it out any better ...

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

:domodance: :domodance::morepower1:New Build in the Making :morepower1: :domodance: :domodance:

1999 Infiniti I30 Limited

if you break a rule and argue with n8 your going to get banned. suspended if your lucky.

Archived