Sonic Electronix

I've been out of the car audio loop a long time. I started installing back in '88-89' as a hobby and loved it! I install in my own rides now. I've been reading on this forum and realized that it has changed a lot! So I don't know where I want to start now. I'm currently working on a '97 Suburban and I want to put in a good clean sounding system in it. I have a good H/U, but I don't know what amps/ speakers/ subs to go with. I really don't want to go with the "cookie cutter " crap that is out there now! Back in the day I ran Kenwood amps that where great. Now Kenwood is not that great IMO. Had Kicker subs, now I'm not impressed with them either. So give this "Oldschooler" some schooling and tell me what you think! I know I'm going to get a lot of opinions, but that's ok. One or two subs is enough for me. I like some low bass, but i also like it to punch a little too. Just to give you an idea of how "old" i am........I was around when they still made Petras subs! (I had 2 "15 Petras DVC's in a regular cab truck!

AA subs or fi subs matched with populus audio amps

For speakers there are so many options. Take a look at parts express.

For hu I like Sony or Kenwood

And shca for all wiring!

13 Kia Forte Build!

07 Hyundai Accent Build

***Super Seller***

N8ball2013

And then he gets to say ok all you guys were right. im sorry for being a dummy poo poo head.

ndjs.jpg

What I would do is run some good 6.5inch components up front. They should give you some decent mid bass punch. Deaden the doors with second skin damplifier pro and get a good sundown, DC, or ct sounds amp (or a number of others, I run arc audio). You will want 100-150 watts to those front comps. As far as speakers we need to know a budget but look at hertz, focal, Rockford power series, diamond audio... to many to name. If you get a good front stage then in order to get full clean sound you are basically there. You just need to fill in the sub stage and you can get away with less expensive sub equipment but still get the sound you want.

Welcome to the forum! What's your budget on stereo system? And how much space you got in there (W x H x D). Sundown, Fi, Skar, DC, etc are quite a popular choices as they are all excellent companies.

Lots of space! Just don't want to take up too much room. '97 Suburbans are big so i can put speakers in all four doors plus it has the "ambulance" type doors in the back so I was thinking of putting something in those. I like 12" subs. They give you all around bass IMO.

Budget? Hummm? Under $1000 at least. Funds are becoming short now a days! I have a New Sony HU, so I'm good there.In my 2005 GMC crew I'm running a 5 channel JL to a Jl 10" sub behind the rear seat. box is ported, but I don't remember what the box is tune at. 6.5 Kenwoods components in all four doors. Old DNX7100 HU in the dash that still works great! Sounds pretty good, but could be better! I do like Skar audio and Sundown, but I don't know a lot about them. I just want to go with different amps/ speakers/subs. Like I said I'm tired of the Kicker, JL, Kenwood, pioneer, MTX crap you can buy anywhere. RFG is good, but a lot of people around here have that and I just want to be different.

1. h u : Pioneer and Alpine are my favorite ones
  2. front speakers amplifier: anything. I wouldn't get Boss, Pyle or Pyramid, but an amp is an amp. If it works. Don't be mad for big power. It is not necessary : a 2 x 100 is enough for front speakers (or a small 4 channel amp, like a 4 x 50 bridged in 2 channels).
  3. sub amplifier : get a class D monoblock , for efficiency. 1000-12000 w rms at 1 Ohm. Depends on the subs you choose. Sundown, DD, Kicker, Alpine, rockford,...etc
  4. sub : quite anything. SSA, Fi are my fav. But lots of members here love DC audio, Sundown, or Digital Designs. the box you will use is the most important part of the "sub stage".
  5. front speakers : a single set of component speakers will do it for you. Try to listen to some, in the stores near you. It's the best way to make your choice. I love Focal speakers, but you may not. so I can't tell you what to buy !
  6. wiring : for power wire OFC (oxygen free cooper) is the best. but I use CCA (cooper clad aluminium) with no issue.
  7. batteries : the biggest you can fit under the hood, and another in the back to be safe. AGM batteries only. Group 31 in the back and a Group 34 upfront, if you can. XS Power makes very good ones, but you can find, DieHard, Odissey, Singer, ...etc

It's impossible to tell you what to buy. I hope you will find some good advices here.

Good luck on your build.

black BMW X1 2.0 l 192 hp

OEM head unit, Amplifiers Audison AP 8.9 amp with integrated DSP and Ampere Audio 1200.

Focal ES 100 K in front doors, and Dayton RS 180 for midbass under the front seats.

2 SSA DEMONS 10" subs, in a 2.6 ft3  ported box. SecondSkin Damplifier on front doors, and Luxury Liner Pro for the cargo area.

Budget? Hummm? Under $1000 at least. Funds are becoming short now a days! I have a New Sony HU, so I'm good there.In my 2005 GMC crew I'm running a 5 channel JL to a Jl 10" sub behind the rear seat. box is ported, but I don't remember what the box is tune at. 6.5 Kenwoods components in all four doors. Old DNX7100 HU in the dash that still works great! Sounds pretty good, but could be better! I do like Skar audio and Sundown, but I don't know a lot about them. I just want to go with different amps/ speakers/subs. Like I said I'm tired of the Kicker, JL, Kenwood, pioneer, MTX crap you can buy anywhere. RFG is good, but a lot of people around here have that and I just want to be different.

I would not put Kicker, MTX, Pioneer in the crap sections. Maybe their entry level products, not all they make.

I would not put Skar on the same level as Sundown and the others. But that's just my opinion, not facts.

black BMW X1 2.0 l 192 hp

OEM head unit, Amplifiers Audison AP 8.9 amp with integrated DSP and Ampere Audio 1200.

Focal ES 100 K in front doors, and Dayton RS 180 for midbass under the front seats.

2 SSA DEMONS 10" subs, in a 2.6 ft3  ported box. SecondSkin Damplifier on front doors, and Luxury Liner Pro for the cargo area.

budget?

goals/expectations?

Under $1000. I want great sound. I expect it to be clean and not too boomy. Good punch. Listen too a lot of rock some country, Dead Mou5e (believe it or not), anything with rhythm. 80's hair bands ect.................................

Archived