Car Just Died. Annnnd Here We Go.....

Wtf... It would take a LOT of coolant to hydo-lock a running motor. That doesn't happen on a small drip or even a little stream. It would need to be gushing pretty good.

Lets do some math here....

Your engine is what... 4.6l?

4 stroke motor. Intake valve opens once every 2 rotations. So we divide that by two. 2.3L of total cylinder intake displacement per rotation.

Compression ratio is what... 8:1? 9:1? 10:1? For the sake of easy math lets call it 10:1

Lets go a step further: Assume that hydro-lock occurs when half of the cylinder space at the peak of compression is water. 20:1 compression. 1/20th cylinder displacement would be water.

Take 2.3L, divide by 20, we get 115ml injected into the engine over the course of a single rotation to clog it.

Now things get fun: Multiply that by 600rpm idle, we get 69 liters per minute to lock it. ~8.5 liters per minute, per cylinder. That's a LOT of coolant to leak in there to "lock it". It might run like a turd with even a fraction of that, but I reason that it would take a major leak to lock the motor. You'd notice it. Blown hose or something?

i was going to say it couldn't be the oil pump.. if the censor detects low oil pressure it automatically shuts the fuel pump to avoid engine damage.

did you check your coolant level? i doubt a leak would hydrolock the engine. it takes a good amount of water to cause that.. my 4.6 was leaking water through the intake and all it did was throw a code on that cylinder.. could be bad install on the KB or they fucked with something that last time it was there..

P.S.

no buy backs on your gear

This is my baby. I'd know if the coolant was low. AND I guess you missed the earlier posts about the intercooler and possible failure.

Wtf... It would take a LOT of coolant to hydo-lock a running motor. That doesn't happen on a small drip or even a little stream. It would need to be gushing pretty good.

Lets do some math here....

Your engine is what... 4.6l?

4 stroke motor. Intake valve opens once every 2 rotations. So we divide that by two. 2.3L of total cylinder intake displacement per rotation.

Compression ratio is what... 8:1? 9:1? 10:1? For the sake of easy math lets call it 10:1

Lets go a step further: Assume that hydro-lock occurs when half of the cylinder space at the peak of compression is water. 20:1 compression. 1/20th cylinder displacement would be water.

Take 2.3L, divide by 20, we get 115ml injected into the engine over the course of a single rotation to clog it.

Now things get fun: Multiply that by 600rpm idle, we get 69 liters per minute to lock it. ~8.5 liters per minute, per cylinder. That's a LOT of coolant to leak in there to "lock it". It might run like a turd with even a fraction of that, but I reason that it would take a major leak to lock the motor. You'd notice it. Blown hose or something?

Thanks, long story short, the intercooler is not the issue.

SMD Super Seller

My Feedback Thread

what a fuckin mess man. At least it's running again and you don't have to redo the whole motor.

AA-Atomic-Clif Designs-DC-Diamond-Digital Designs-Directed-Eclipse-Fi-Hertz-Hifonics-Kenwood-Memphis-Phoenix Gold-Pioneer-PPI-PSi-Stinger-Sundown-TC Sounds-Viper-Zapco

what a fuckin mess man. At least it's running again and you don't have to redo the whole motor.

knock on wood brah knock on wood

skar sk2500.1
0 gauge power and ground kunukonceptz
alpine HU
vxi65 components on BA gt-275
new build log -> http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/150642-project-d-kon-deathcards-build-log/#entry2148821
2 x-15 sundowns

singer alt, odyssey bat, and maxwell ultra caps

Archived