Installing Pioneer 80prs anything special to be aware of?

do not hot swap RCA's.

'93 Firebird Formula V8

H/U- Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X395

Mids/Highs Amp- Hifonics ZXI80.4

Wiring-KNU RCA's, Speaker Wire, And Two Runs Of Trystar 1/0

G34 Red Top and a 180amp Ford Alternator

www.youtube.com/TRTC360

do not hot swap RCA's.

Know better then that Pioneer!!!!!!!

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/garage/vehicle/2438-jeep-commander/

th_140x100square.jpgMechman_140x100px.JPGDCHome.jpgI

image_url-76414-1423274612_thumb.jpgimage_url-76414-1423320284_thumb.jpg

Pioneer P99RS
Ampere 3800
2-Ampere 125/4
4-6.5 inch Hertz HSK XL Mids
4-8 inch JL Audio ZR Midwoofer

2-5.25 Satori Mids
2-Morel Tweeters, 2 Hertz Milles 3 inch on A pillars
2-Hertz Silk tweeters
DC Audio Level 5/12
Skyhigh Wire
Mechman 320
XS Power D3100

MO Funniest Thread of the Year 2013: http://www.stevemead...dy-being-a-pos/

Say you have your mids set at 80-5khz on the 80prs so that the mids from a component set are playing there full freq band but want a little more 150-5khz so you add 2 8 in the kicks. You run RCA frm the mid amp pass though to the 8s amp then use the crossover on the amp with a cc1 to get it crossed at 150hz up to what the hu dictates (5khz). Then you have tweets crossed from 5k up and subs 80hz down.

not exactly a true 4way setup but just as an example that you can get creative with it so that you can fill in gaps with the use of built into n cross overs on amps and the 80prs network.

just install it and try using both the hu and the amps setting separate from each other to figure out how you prefer doing it.

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.

Say you have your kids set at 80-5khz on the 80prs so that the mids from a component set are playing there full freq band but want a little more 150-5khz so you add 2 8 in the kicks. You run RCA frm the mid amp pass though to the 8s amp then use the crossover on the amp with a cc1 to get it crossed at 150hz up to what the hu dictates (5khz). Then you have tweets crossed from 5k up and subs 80hz down.

not exactly a true 4way setup but just as an example that you can get creative with it so that you can fill in gaps with the use of built into n cross overs on amps and the 80prs network.

just install it and try using both the hu and the amps setting separate from each other to figure out how you prefer doing it.

And how do you set your wife then? 20kHz Highpass? :drink40:

There is one big problem with the CC-1, how do you know that you have to set the crossovers at a exactly XXX Hz?

For example, you said 150Hz, how do you know that will sound better then for example 100Hz or that 200Hz will sound better or be able to handle more power?

You just can't know that, all you can know from the specs of a driver is a ballpark area, other then that you need to hear at which freq it sounds better.

Thinking is the root of all problems...

You ALWAYS get what you pay for.

You set the wife to mute, its a much happier world that way.

having to readjust the amp settings repetitively is what would make it more difficult. Would take a lot of time to do that.

the convenience of the network on the 80prs is what would make it worth using.

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.

• 2 weeks later...

What? That is insane to say there is no point in an 80prs if you aren't using network mode. Automatic time alignment, unbelievably clean output, 24-bit Burr Brown DACs, 16 band EQ, The high build quality of the internal circuitry, tons of input/output options, etc. It is a great all around head unit I would reccomend for any installation and the list of great things about it are almost endless.

I am by no means saying don't use network mode if you can but sometimes the external crossovers just happen to work. Network mode is for when they don't/you would just prefer to do it on the unit. I am thinking about using my 80prs in active mode just because but there is really no point. The crossover setting in standard mode for the sub and front works great, and my Focal mids/highs have an adjustable passive crossover and the setting I need just happens to be there. When I go to network mode I am most likely going to be plugging in the same settings I had anyway! It doesn't even seem like that great of an idea because it seems like my tweeters will be getting a less clean signal being amplified off the headunit rather than my amp. Controlling power to my tweeters also becomes more complicated but do-able. Correct me if i'm wrong but in network mode you can time align your tweeter and midbass driver separatley which is a great feature but not everyone requires that and is often an installation issue unless you are trying to install them somewhere crazy.

EDIT: Just checked the manual, I would have LESS control in network mode. My tweeter starts rolling off once you get lower than 4k. The 80PRS has a 4k and a 5k setting. The Focal crossover has 4k, 4.5k, and 5k setting. I am currently at 4.5k because that is where frequency response lines up well between the two speakers.

Archived