Any alternator experts

How much can a alternator handle before it burns up or it starts over working itself trying to keep up? So on my 94 Toyota camry I just got stock alternator which says 80 amps only. I currently just am running stock battery under the hood and some 1 AWG welding cable. Im running 2k on a 2 ohm load and it seems to been holding up fine on electrical other then some dimming lights. my voltage to the amp never sees below 12.8V but im ready to throw another battery in the trunk. Now that being said that is another battery my alternator is going to have to keep charged up which may make it work harder. Is there guidelines to how many batteries or how much of a load a alternator can handle? I just want to know where do I draw the line and say hey I need to upgrade the alternator now before I go any further with my electrical. Thanks

"Toyota Camry rebuild page 21 (link)http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/183768-94-crossfire-camry-18s-walled-singer-alt-has-arrived-rebuild-starts-pg-10/page-21

PIONEER DEH-P8400BH

2 CROSSFIRE C5 1700D

2 CROSSFIRE C7 18

HOOD. NSB GROUP48 TRUNK SMS AGM400

DUAL RUNS X SCORP 1/0 OFC

275A SINGER ALT.

DYNAMAT XTREME

SOUNDSTREAM TA4.280

PIONEER COMPONENTS

You don't need batteries you need Mechman!!

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/garage/vehicle/2438-jeep-commander/

th_140x100square.jpgMechman_140x100px.JPGDCHome.jpgI

image_url-76414-1423274612_thumb.jpgimage_url-76414-1423320284_thumb.jpg

Pioneer P99RS
Ampere 3800
2-Ampere 125/4
4-6.5 inch Hertz HSK XL Mids
4-8 inch JL Audio ZR Midwoofer

2-5.25 Satori Mids
2-Morel Tweeters, 2 Hertz Milles 3 inch on A pillars
2-Hertz Silk tweeters
DC Audio Level 5/12
Skyhigh Wire
Mechman 320
XS Power D3100

MO Funniest Thread of the Year 2013: http://www.stevemead...dy-being-a-pos/

You don't need batteries you need Mechman!!

I hear you, I know adding a ton of battieries is not the way to go but I want atleast 1 beefy battery in the trunk to hold some capacity. Im definitely upgrading alternator soonish but I want to know if my alternator can handle keeping another battery charged up

"Toyota Camry rebuild page 21 (link)http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/183768-94-crossfire-camry-18s-walled-singer-alt-has-arrived-rebuild-starts-pg-10/page-21

PIONEER DEH-P8400BH

2 CROSSFIRE C5 1700D

2 CROSSFIRE C7 18

275A SINGER ALT.

DYNAMAT XTREME

SOUNDSTREAM TA4.280

PIONEER COMPONENTS

i would upgrade stock battery, and 1 good battery in the rear and see how that does you, if you need more then add an alternator

The stock battery is less then a year old I think its a interstate and its oversized for the vehicle actually. Would there be any advantage to getting a new battery under the hood designed for car audio. not to familiar with the difference between types of batteries other then wet cell and dry cell. I don't see myself ever running more then 3 maybe 3.5k in this vehichle. Im looking at a XS d3400 or the 3100 and then if I did a alternator for that kinda setup whats recommended for alternator size?

PIONEER DEH-P8400BH

2 CROSSFIRE C5 1700D

2 CROSSFIRE C7 18

275A SINGER ALT.

DYNAMAT XTREME

SOUNDSTREAM TA4.280

PIONEER COMPONENTS

I think its safe to say you arr going to quickly be overworking your alternator very quickly. Even 500 watts is likely be a stressor

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

I think its safe to say you arr going to quickly be overworking your alternator very quickly. Even 500 watts is likely be a stressor

Ok then. So I guess I should start looking into a new alternator. The only question now is what size and brand. Any deals from authorized sellers out there on the forum? :morepower1:

PIONEER DEH-P8400BH

2 CROSSFIRE C5 1700D

2 CROSSFIRE C7 18

275A SINGER ALT.

DYNAMAT XTREME

SOUNDSTREAM TA4.280

PIONEER COMPONENTS

I'm just going to put this out there. I probably won't get many who agree here but I do have personal experience with your same vehicle and concerns.

I had music in my 94 and 95 Camry. Both had 80 amp alternators . Both had issues with dimming lights when I first got everything installed and set. I don't recall the specific voltage but it was somewhere around the low 11 volt area (definitely not good). I added a single extra battery in both instances and improved my voltage issues. Most of my listening happened while driving, not much while idling. I remember after adding a battery my voltage never dropped below 13+ (before my installs it never went higher than 13.9 volts anyway).

My 94 handled these conditions for 10 or 11 months before I sold the car and the 95 provided me satisfaction for about a year and a half. Someone offered to buy my amps and I sold them just to try something different next time. I still have the same alternator on this car. For the record though, I should state that I couldn't even break into 140db on music at idle in a trunk car (seats down and not a sealed off trunk) the one and only time I ever metered. I don't take music competitively. It was loud enough to satisfy me and that was all that mattered. I just did it to know.

I'm simply telling you what worked okay for me, which is not the right way to do things per se. What I say here should not be taken as advice, just an opinion based on a personal experience I had. I don't want to suggest you do what I did and lead you to having problems I didn't personally have. Your car, your choice.

Also for the record, I've been in communication with Singer lately and the next install will include a Singer alternator so I can say I did something the right way next time.

4 American Bass VFL 8" at 0.5 ohm

Soundstream Tarantula 3000.1D at 0.5 ohm

32 hz ported box designed by Mark at Car Audio Fabrications

XS D1200 secondary with Stinger isolator

Archived